Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re:kz750 clutch problem 18 Aug 2014 19:33 #644402

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

whirlwind598 wrote: Can anyone link me to a manual for this model bike? My pdf is for a gpz similar but this is one of those big differences. Im on mobile so finding these things is more complicated

mbsween.bike-night.com/kz750l3/index.html

Scroll down to "The Bible" where the manual may be downloaded.

The clutch activation mechanism may have been pushed beyond its limit, and rendered inoperable. Am thinking, but not positive, that the over-extended mechanism may be restored to serviceable condition.

It's sometimes confusing as to which way the clutch push-rod adjusting screw is turned so as to seat it against the push rod before next turning it in the opposite direction 1/4 turn in order to create the necessary gap between the screw and the push-rod.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:kz750 clutch problem 19 Aug 2014 15:17 #644513

• whirlwind598
  • whirlwind598's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hmmm gotta do some more work. Apparently I got a faulty torque wrench. Torqued the head off one of the clutch plate bolts. Gonna be fun pulling the end out without damaging anything...

So from the feel of it I have two problems. The spring on the cable to the operating arm is old and slow to expand. And the operating arm isnt pushing on the pushrod

Re:kz750 clutch problem 19 Aug 2014 15:23 #644514

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

whirlwind598 wrote: Hmmm gotta do some more work. Apparently I got a faulty torque wrench. Torqued the head off one of the clutch plate bolts. Gonna be fun pulling the end out without damaging anything...

So from the feel of it I have two problems. The spring on the cable to the operating arm is old and slow to expand. And the operating arm isnt pushing on the pushrod

It may not be a faulty wrench. It could be just the wrong range torque wrench for the job. What is the torque spec you were trying to achieve? What is the lower and upper range of the torque wrench you were using? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Re:kz750 clutch problem 19 Aug 2014 17:51 #644537

• whirlwind598
  • User
It needs 78 Foot lbs. My wrench is a 50-250 foot lbs. I had it set to 60 but it never cli cked just suddenly snapped the head. Its got a 24" handle so you can probably see how easy it'd be to apply too much force.

Just incase I can't remove the bolt does anybody know how easy it is to get another clutch hub? If that's it's name

Re:kz750 clutch problem 19 Aug 2014 17:56 #644540

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

whirlwind598 wrote: It needs 78 Foot lbs. My wrench is a 50-250 foot lbs. I had it set to 60 but it never cli cked just suddenly snapped the head. Its got a 24" handle so you can probably see how easy it'd be to apply too much force.

Just incase I can't remove the bolt does anybody know how easy it is to get another clutch hub? If that's it's name

Wow! You need to either buy a Kawasaki Service Manual or read the manual you have much more carefully! Take another look in your manual. You do realized that FOOT POUNDS and INCH POUNDS are not the same - right? :unsure: Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Re:kz750 clutch problem 20 Aug 2014 06:32 #644584

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1622
It's 78-INCH/lbs on the clutch spring bolts. Tighten them alternately & evenly in steps until snug, then torque them down alternately.

The 750-4 pdf that's floating around was probably photo copied, instead of scanned, so many of the photos aren't that great & some of the pages are cut off at the bottom, so info is missing. I would try to get a factory manual.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Re:kz750 clutch problem 20 Aug 2014 12:08 #644615

• whirlwind598
  • User
I was in too much of a hurry coulda sworn it said ft/lbs....

I tighten these bolts same pattern/order as my car tires...

And you're right the bottom of each page is cut off and it seems ti be the important information lol

• Page: