Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Clutch Problems 12 Oct 2005 14:27 #1107

• tx440
  • tx440's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I finally got around to installing some new Euro Cafe handlebars on my bike last night. They are great!!!! However, they are considerably shorter than my old bars which put my cables in a funky position. When I went for the first test ride I noticed that my clutch was slipping. Got to looking around found that because of the shorter bars the cable was pushed down to the point of making contact with the header pipe so I moved the cable. After moving the cable my clutch was slipping so bad that the bike wouldn't move. So I played with it some more and got it to where I could get home. All the while I had full range of motion at the lever. Its just when I moved the cable that the clutch acts up. What should I do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clutch Problems 13 Oct 2005 12:13 #1390

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I suggest you adjust the clutch. I am not certain how it is done on your model so you should consult a manual for specifics... on most bikes you:

1. put about 1/4" between adjuster and switchgear
2. make sure your current cable is held solidly in place at the other end using a cotter pin
3. take out slack using mid-cable adjusters
4. there is a screw held in place using a locknut under the little cover located on the countershaft cover. Loosen locknut and adjust this screw. The book will say to seat the screw and then back it out for most models... a certain number of turns. I have found this part of the instruction not real helpful and just adjust by turn this screw and riding a bit.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Clutch Problems 13 Oct 2005 12:20 #1395

• Walt
  • Visitor
Is it possible when you rerouted the cable it has a very sharp bend in it.
Just another thought, starting around '80 or so Kaw went to a teflon lining in clutch cables. Wonder if the pipes melted the teflon.

Post edited by: walt, at: 2005/10/13 16:32

Clutch Problems 14 Oct 2005 15:30 #1770

• tx440
  • User
When I rerouted the cable it DID have a pretty sharp bend in it and it didn't seem to have any effect on the cable movement.

Clutch Problems 16 Oct 2005 07:15 #2039

• tx440
  • User
UPDATE!!!! All it needed was a little adjustment and now it is better than it ever was. Thanks for all the advice!!!

• Page: