Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

It is a Good Day Tater.... 24 Jul 2014 20:25 #641312

• NakedFun
  • NakedFun's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 99

So the guy who last year I bought a '72 CB750 for my father-in-law from has gone through a number of vintage bikes, but he finally got the one bike that he has been pining for a long time. He finally got the original owner to sell it to him, but like all old bikes, it needs some carb work(rebuild/reseal), tuning, rubber parts replaced, and cables changed out. So he has kept in touch over the last year and from time to time trys to sell me a bike he thinks I would want. Most of the time I do, but I need to focus play money on my KZ project. So anyway he calls me down to look at this bike. I rode down after he bought it and he was complaining about how it ran, and he wanted my evaluation. So I rode it and explained the things that I think it needs done, and he asked if he could hire me to do it. I told him no, that he could not hire me, but I would do it all for free if he buys the parts. Just trying to keep another old Kawi on the road. Well it was finally time to drop it off to me for a week long thrash on it. I'll have it done by the time he gets back from vacation. It is funny when he told his buddies about my offer, they said "No way, he probable is just going to steal your bike!" He got nervous when he couldn't reach me last night on the phone, but only because I was helping another buddy until 10 pm building a fence in his back yard after work. So anyway, he is really happy I am working on it, and I get to wrench on another KZ.

The only downside is my poor ZRX is staying over at a buddies house for the week since I cannot get all three bikes in my garage and work on one.......lol.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It is a Good Day Tater.... 26 Jul 2014 10:19 #641489

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
You have the same problem I have, not enough room.

I have a 25x25 shop and am trying to work with three bikes in there. Total PITA

Nice of you to fix the bike for free, It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only dummy out there. :P
KD9JUR

It is a Good Day Tater.... 26 Jul 2014 15:13 #641527

• NakedFun
  • NakedFun's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 99
Yeah the art of repairing and tuning vintage bikes and cars is a dying art form.....! There seem to be fewer and fewer of us dummies!

Cory
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

It is a Good Day Tater.... 26 Jul 2014 19:40 #641555

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Friend rode his 82 1000 LTD over here to show off his bike. Sprockets and chain were toast, long overdue for replacement. I wouldn't let him leave till he replaced the sprockets and chain with new ones. So I gave him two new sprockets and a new chain, and supervised the installation.

He didn't have any money, so I just told him to pay it forward. Karma I suppose.
KD9JUR

It is a Good Day Tater.... 26 Jul 2014 19:48 #641559

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
Nice looking ole KZ! B) You are doing a good turn for sure. You are building up some Karma Credits!

I also mentioned 2nd dibs on a GPZ and is now looking like I have moved to the top of the list. AND, I too am out of garage space and may call upon a friend to store one. :pinch: :laugh:
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

It is a Good Day Tater.... 26 Jul 2014 19:49 #641560

• dkoz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
wish i had friends like you 2 :)
1978 LTD B2 smashed
1978 Z1R D1
1978 A2

It is a Good Day Tater.... 26 Jul 2014 19:51 #641561

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

NakedFun wrote: Yeah the art of repairing and tuning vintage bikes and cars is a dying art form.....! There seem to be fewer and fewer of us dummies!

Cory

That's true of a whole bunch of different trades! I need a tiny metalwork adjustment made to a a piece I am working on so I went to a local, fairly large body shop that has a great reputation. I showed the piece to the shop owner and asked if he had a guy who could flatten out the little ding. Reply: "No; all our guys are just parts replacers. If my dad and his crew were still working they could do it in 5 minutes, but that's old school."

It's a shame that developing skills working with your hands rather than sitting in an office behind a PC seems to be frowned upon nowadays. :( Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN, KZ Rat

It is a Good Day Tater.... 27 Jul 2014 07:01 #641593

• dkoz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
quote="650ed" post=641561]

NakedFun wrote: Yeah the art of repairing and tuning vintage bikes and cars is a dying art form.....! There seem to be fewer and fewer of us dummies!

Cory

That's true of a whole bunch of different trades! I need a tiny metalwork adjustment made to a a piece I am working on so I went to a local, fairly large body shop that has a great reputation. I showed the piece to the shop owner and asked if he had a guy who could flatten out the little ding. Reply: "No; all our guys are just parts replacers. If my dad and his crew were still working they could do it in 5 minutes, but that's old school."

[It's a shame that developing skills working with your hands rather than sitting in an office behind a PC seems to be frowned upon nowadays. :( Ed[/quote] definitely not profitable. seems that all the tiny little work that we used to do , and no longer have the resources to do. We have to ship off and pay a fortune for. :sick:
1978 LTD B2 smashed
1978 Z1R D1
1978 A2

It is a Good Day Tater.... 27 Jul 2014 18:22 #641674

• bugsinmyteeth
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12

Cory

Good on ya for helping the guy out and keeping a really nice looking KZ on the road. You are definitely not a dummy but too bad the guy didn't have interest in learning or he would be there to participate in the repair rather than just dropping it off. Or perhaps you prefer to not have someone looking over your shoulder or messing things up as you go. The old adage about teaching a guy to fish applies to maintenance and repair of vintage bikes too.

Forrest: You can drop off the ZRX or the KZ650 at my place. Be sure to leave the keys, ol' pal. ;)
Old School Is Cool!

1975 Kawasaki 900 (Z1B)
1982 Suzuki GS750E

Northern KY

Last edit: by bugsinmyteeth. Reason: cause I never get it right the 1st time...

It is a Good Day Tater.... 29 Jul 2014 04:31 #641837

• John T
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I love taters

Nice bike cory.
True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

It is a Good Day Tater.... 29 Jul 2014 06:13 #641845

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178

John T wrote: I love taters

Nice bike cory.

And, Taters love you! :laugh: Hey J.T.
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

It is a Good Day Tater.... 29 Jul 2014 06:20 #641846

• Tomolu5
  • User
  • Thank you received: 45
That exhaust is interesting, any idea who makes it, and how does it sound?
Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

• Page: