Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Crappy Paint Job, What would you do? 14 Apr 2014 20:38 #629058

• DoctoRot
  • DoctoRot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
So i had a friend recommend a paint shop which i took my KZ650B2 tank, side-covers, and tail to to get painted. I told the guy i was going to order some decals for him to clear in. He ended up talking me into having him pinstripe them by hand. 6 weeks go by and i go to pick up the paint. It looks OK, the pinstripes are not prefect but i think, "Hey they're hand painted of course they're not gonna be perfect." I was in a hurry so i didn't get a chance to look at it that closely. I get home and put everything on the bike and realize the paint job is kind of crappy.

The pinstripes on one side of the tank do not come back far enough to be covered by the seat. There are tons of tiny fisheyes. that he tried to remove by cutting and buffing but many still remain. he never got the gun low enough to paint the bottom press seam, so its grey there and you see it when the bike is on the side stand. and the pinstripes are pretty ragged at places. it looks OK at 10 feet, but when you get up on it, it looks crappy. I paid $650 for this paint job that I could have pulled off in my back yard. I paid a premium price for a premium job and he didn't deliver. Im gonna call the guy tomorrow and see whats up. The bummer is riding season is pretty much here and everything else is pretty much ready to go. WTF shouid do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by KZQ. Reason: Non-descriptive subject line.

Crappy Paint Job, What would you do? 14 Apr 2014 20:55 #629061

• Haybus
  • User
  • Big Al
  • Thank you received: 42
For sure I would head back there and confront him. That's a lot of money and you should expect better quality than that. Kind of douchie he tried to pass off the tank, that's pretty noticeable. Good luck.

Alan
1976 KZ900 LTD (sort of)
2005 FJR
2009 Hayabusa
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/557845...-streetfighter-build

Last edit: by KZQ.

Crappy Paint Job, What would you do? 14 Apr 2014 22:15 #629069

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
I'm not sure what you can accomplish refund wise but if you were to start over, I'd send them to:

Sabatini Autowerks
5040 Grisham Dr Rowlett, TX 75088‎
(972) 475-4160

Greg did my tank, tail piece and side covers and did a great job.
Check it out.

Attachment DSC06884.jpg not found

Bill
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
Attachments:

Last edit: by KZQ.

Crappy Paint Job, What would you do? 14 Apr 2014 23:00 #629070

• dkoz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
the sooner you take them back the better chance you have of him at least getting the fish eyes out.and i certainly would not take no for an answer .you paid for a paint job not one thats not finished.the stripes not so sure about but bottom line the customer not happy thats bad news
1978 LTD B2 smashed
1978 Z1R D1
1978 A2

Crappy Paint Job, What would you do? 15 Apr 2014 05:05 #629081

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
I would seek a refund. Perhaps offer to let him redo it with the understanding that if its nit right he needs to refund your money. I would get the pin stripe kit and tell him he has to use it, better chance of it turning out correctly. Good luck, I hope everything works out
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Crappy Paint Job, What would you do? 15 Apr 2014 05:56 #629085

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443
If you find that any proposed resolution is not satisfactory, tell him you will put in a complaint with the local BBB. Every time I have been to my local site to check out a business, the businesses always make a strong effort to resolve the problem. I always check out a company before hiring them for work on my home. Good luck.
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

Last edit: by KZJOE900.

Crappy Paint Job, What would you do? 15 Apr 2014 17:46 #629164

• DoctoRot
  • DoctoRot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
well i went back, he wasn't very apologetic about it the paint job, but he said he would fix the bottom were he didn't paint and fisheyes. he said it was too late to touch up the pin stripes. I still think if i had a professional do the pinstripes by hand that could have been very cool, but oh well. Ill probably go OCD and have it repainted next winter with decals. I think i will follow your advice Bill, and find someone who is very good and ship them if need be. i wanted it done locally so i wouldn't have to pay for shipping but in the end i would rather pay for shipping and have a flawless job done than this bull. Live and learn i guess.

Crappy Paint Job, What would you do? 16 Apr 2014 19:54 #629364

• Hemified
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
If it was me I would point out all the imperfections and demand it to be done right. I mean what kind of a shop would let that out the door I would be pissed off. Reminds me of a time I sent my hotrod to a shop and they screwed up on my body work my lesson was 3000 grand though. Let's just say it didn't go well cause the cops showed up,the receptionist called them on me. His excuse was it's old metal and it won't be perfect. Haha right just my opinion.(oh yeah that Boby shop is no longer in business.

• Page: