Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Chicago to Denver Summer Trip 07 Jul 2013 13:48 #595384

• MattSour
  • MattSour's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So I just bought my first KZ650 and got it running in one time. The bikes been taken care of rather well. So now I'm figuring out what it'll take to drive it to Denver to party in nature. I just got my license but have been ride smaller automatic bikes for years. So far I'm pretty comfortable city riding and plan on taking the bike from Chicago to Milwaukee to gain experience before hand, an hour and a half ride. I'll be starting from Chicago headed to Denver, 1,000 miles and 15 hours. I'm thinking of breaking up the trip in to three days, trying to do about 300 miles each day. So things I'd like input about.

1) gear I should take. Tools, protective gear, misc. I plan on swapping out bars and building a sissy bar to strap a camping bag and sleeping bag and tent to.

2) routes. I planned on heading west on highway I -80. Stopping outside of des moines, and possibly camping the second night off the highway under the stars, or getting a hotel room to enjoy the high life.

3) bike prep
So my kz650 came with a nice maintain log which reads

7,800 oil change/no filter, new battery, new plugs
10,000 oil change/ no filter
11,000 radio and horns
11,163 resistor plugs rn4
11,300 adjusted points, set timing, cam chain
14,800 oil change
17,510 new battery, oil change
19,200 tune up, new points, set timing
20,650 oil change
21,300 carbs redone, tune up, new battery, new tires, front brake, speedo cable

I need to do the maintance check and safety check. I also cleaned the carbs, installed a new battery and changed the oil and filter. Any additional things I should check?

4) misc

I enjoy hearing what yaw have to teach me.

Be Excellent

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chicago to Denver Summer Trip 07 Jul 2013 14:16 #595386

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I intensely dislike riding on Interstate Highways, boring beyond belief.
Since you're not planning on 1000 mile days, why not take the two lane?
KD9JUR

Chicago to Denver Summer Trip 07 Jul 2013 14:47 #595389

• MattSour
  • User
The ol blue highways. Hmmm. Didn't think about that. I'll look to see how that'd change the route.

Chicago to Denver Summer Trip 07 Jul 2013 15:02 #595390

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If it's a new bike to you, the best thing is to take a bunch of short rides. Chicago to Milwaukee on 41 is a good ride. It's far enough that it will show if the bike is having problems etc.

Also, there is a lot of good open area southwest of the city, along Archer ave. etc., but not in the middle of nowhere so if you get stranded, you won't be too far from civilization.

Chicago to Denver Summer Trip 07 Jul 2013 16:25 #595400

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
In your list of services, was the valves checked/ adjusted during the Tune-up? Back quite a few miles ago, I'd be checking them again before such a trip. Also get the proper spark plugs, Non Resistor, your fuel mileage should increase as well. Go over everything, cables, steering bearings, swingarm, etc to make sure its good. If your traveling by yourself, make sure you carry spares and a cellphone. If its all good it will do that trip easily. Just keep in mind things like a flat can leave you out. Carry patches and a CO2 quick air tool with a couple cylinders.
I'm with Steel, keep to the two lane, the twisty stuff, you'll have a lot more fun.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Chicago to Denver Summer Trip 07 Jul 2013 17:11 #595408

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Lube & CORRECTLY adjust chain (consult Kawasaki manual to make sure you leave the proper amount of slack in the chain - tight is BAD). You may want to toss a small can of chain lube in the pack & lube the chain at your destination before returning home. Take extra fuses. Be sure to check the oil level at every gas stop - especially important if riding at highway speeds for extended periods (you may even want to take some oil with you if your bike uses oil). Check battery fluid level before leaving on trip - top off with distilled water if necessary but don't over-fill. Take a tire pressure gauge and make sure tires are at correct pressure. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Chicago to Denver Summer Trip 07 Jul 2013 18:47 #595421

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
If you are in the Bucktown Wicker Park area, my buddy and I could give it a look over and check the charging system.

Chicago to Denver Summer Trip 07 Jul 2013 22:40 #595463

• MattSour
  • User
Motorhead - I assume the valves were checked during "tune up", but should try and check those. A little over my experience but worth the leasen. The plugs are now non resister. Plan on really going over everything. Good idea about the tires and patch kit.

650 - was def planning on the maintaining the chain. Dont wanna throw it into the bike. What kinda mileage should I think about replacing a chain?I'll bring some oil.

Loudhvx - let me hit you up this week. I can bring over some pizza or beer. And share at parts and see what their doing.

Thanks for all the support. Keep it coming please.

Chicago to Denver Summer Trip 07 Jul 2013 22:51 #595465

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Check the condition of the chain and sprockets. If you see any signs of wear on the sprockets (like the teeth looking worn more on one edge than the other or if they start to look like they are bending forward at the tip) the chain & sprockets should be replaced. When replacing, both sprockets and the chain should be replaced at the same time. This is because they wear together. A sprocket with wear will prematurely wear out a chain and a chain that is worn will prematurely wear out both sprockets. If given normal maintenance and not left to rust in the rain the stock chain should last 35 - 50,000 miles and the new (high quality) chains will last at least that long or longer. Sadly, many owners adjust chains incorrectly (too tight) or neglected chains for years and the result is premature wear. If you do need to replace them buy high quality replacements (O-ring or X-ring) from known brands (ask here for advice if needed). Buying cheap chains or sprockets is a waste of money as they will not last long. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Chicago to Denver Summer Trip 08 Jul 2013 18:52 #595593

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
pm sent

Chicago to Denver Summer Trip 08 Jul 2013 23:52 #595628

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 238
The old rule of thumb for chain wear was always simply grab your chain at the very back of the bike and pull it rearwards off a single tooth of the sprocket. If 1/2 or more of that tooth can be seen, the sprocket and chain are worn. This probably makes no sense without pictures, but probably a google search of some kind will reveal pictures and better explanation.
KZ650 is not that great of highway bike. I like interstates myself, but the 650 is better off at lower speeds so the off the beaten path will be better for the bike and you get better scenery to boot if you have the time. 1000 miles in 3 days you have time.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Chicago to Denver Summer Trip 10 Jul 2013 22:49 #595915

• MattSour
  • User
Thanks 650Ed - I havent looked at the chain yet. I'm hoping it's in as good of condition as the rest of the bike. Your description made sense.

LoudHvx - Pm sent back

Tonight hopefully I can bunker down and look into alternate routes other than I-80. I've asked around friends if theres anything interesting in lowa/nebraska but haven't heard much so there might not be alot of stuff to see in the flat lands...

• Page: