Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Just bought a 73 Z1 - what to do? 07 May 2013 17:06 #586183

• RobK
  • RobK's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
So I've gone from owning one 76 KZ900 to owning 5 z/kzs after I bought out everything Kawasaki from the family of a neighbor who just passed. (Rest in Peace, Bill)

Some great stuff in there - lots of drag racing gear (anyone need a wheelie bar or giant solid rear rim that looks like it takes a car tire??)

One of the rollers is a real-deal '73 Z1 - (frame number 0149xx), with what what appears to be the original engine (engine number is less than 100 digits from frame number).

The bike is mostly complete, including the clocks, mirrors, all its lights, grab rail, etc. It's missing the side covers and the tail cowl, (though I did get a tail cowl with it that was painted orange, but after some very careful sanding, appears to be Z1 brown underneath). It's also, crucially, missing the original 4 into 4, and has a 4 into 1 Kerker-style.

It has the original tank, and original paint. The clear coat on the top has peeled, and there appears to be some sun fading, and some very shallow dents on one side, (I've gotten dents this shallow out before without harming the paint - so I reckon fixable).

Other than that, I think the only original pieces missing are the airbox (have the original carbs with the 17mm bolts in the bottom of the float bowls), and the seat needs recovering, though it does appear to be the right stitching pattern, ie. original.

The bike shows 37k on the clock, and I know for certain is it's been off the road for at least 13 years, likely significantly longer.

The engine is currently out of the bike, with the head and jugs off.

The bike needs a restore for sure. The paint on the motor is chipped in places, and faded on items like the master cylinder. However, I can find very few parts on the bike that look like they were replaced, and being a Colorado bike, there is almost no rust on it. Even the grips look original, and the little ribbed boot on the MC is still in good shape and I have the little tray with the wiring diagram in the seat, (though no tool kit).

I really prefer to mod bikes (my 76 thread is on here, though been a bit ignored as I finish a Triumph bobber), so don't usually mess with restores. I know the historical significance of this machine, so probably best to let the OEM-guys have this one, especially as this one escaped any fram mods, chops, etc.

My question is this: Is it better (more desirable), for a restorer to have the bike in its present shape (partially disassembled), or should I get this thing up and running, or go for the full restore?

It's a wonderful machine and a great piece of history, but I like my welder and angle grinder too much for "historically significant".

So to all you guys out there that de restos - what's your take?

Thanks

PS - Attached is a pic of the bike (wrong seat on it).

PPS - here's a mock up of the '75 that's on deck. ZX7 front end and rear wheel, single "club-foot" drag swingarm. oilandsteel.tumblr.com/image/49447248688
My mule's got the funny idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're gonna...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Just bought a 73 Z1 - what to do? 07 May 2013 17:24 #586184

• etbike3135
  • User
  • Thank you received: 50
PM sent
1973 Kawasaki Z1
18 years in dragbikes

Just bought a 73 Z1 - what to do? 07 May 2013 17:35 #586185

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245
Looks like a decent candidate for a restore. The matching numbers is the key. However, is the frame number in the 14,000 range or 1,400 range?

That will make a huge difference.
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

Just bought a 73 Z1 - what to do? 07 May 2013 18:11 #586188

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Bob or chop it :P

Just bought a 73 Z1 - what to do? 07 May 2013 18:51 #586196

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

DoubleDub wrote: Bob or chop it :P

Agreed - make a chopper! A nice flat black peanut tank, hard tail, BSA engine, springer front end, and ape hangers! It will be unique. Oh, and a brown king & queen seat with attached sissy bar, lest it look incomplete! :P Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoubleDub

Just bought a 73 Z1 - what to do? 07 May 2013 19:01 #586198

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 301
Join www.kawasaki-z-classik.com It is a focus group aimed at restorations of Z1's and early KZ900/KZ1000. Very nice people with an absolute wealth of information.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

The following user(s) said Thank You: RobK

Just bought a 73 Z1 - what to do? 07 May 2013 19:03 #586199

• RobK
  • User

Kidkawie wrote: Looks like a decent candidate for a restore. The matching numbers is the key. However, is the frame number in the 14,000 range or 1,400 range?

That will make a huge difference.

14k for sure. Date stamps on the head stock, swing arm and rear brake bar all indicate a build of 5/73 (happy 40th, me old boy).

So not a super early one, but def a 73. Also has no wear indicator on the rear drum - apparently another sign of an early(ish) model.
My mule's got the funny idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're gonna...

Just bought a 73 Z1 - what to do? 07 May 2013 19:09 #586201

• RobK
  • User

DoubleDub wrote: Bob or chop it :P

Ha ha. I now have enough frames (4, not including the 73 and my mostly built 76), to build whatever I want, so can let the restorers have this one and I can hot-rod the others.

I also have a bunch of othere parts I bought, (Eg about 8 heads, 7 bottom ends and 9 sets of carbs, etc). I need to separate what I'm keeping and then sell the rest (to finance these builds). I'll make sure to post something in the classifieds here before putting it all up on ebay. With the amount of parts I bought, I'm sure they'll be something useful for some folks here.

Just bought a 73 Z1 - what to do? 07 May 2013 19:11 #586202

• RobK
  • User

Mcdroid wrote: Join www.kawasaki-z-classik.com It is a focus group aimed at restorations of Z1's and early KZ900/KZ1000. Very nice people with an absolute wealth of information.

Many thanks! It's been really fun digging up info on this machine - checking for little details to see if it is indeed intact, original, etc.

Looking forward to digging some more in the link above.

Just bought a 73 Z1 - what to do? 07 May 2013 20:55 #586218

• kzcurt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 21
IMO stock IS custom, meaning so many are not, the originals restores are almost more "custom" then some of the customs are....confused? :blink:
Flag carrier #23
9 @ 50-2053,

Just bought a 73 Z1 - what to do? 08 May 2013 18:55 #586394

• RobK
  • User

kzcurt wrote: IMO stock IS custom, meaning so many are not, the originals restores are almost more "custom" then some of the customs are....confused? :blink:

Ha ha - yeah, the definition of "all original" can get slippery. Apparently all the cells in our body regenerate every 7 years or so. Are we "factory original" then, or just repros? ;)

In fact, one of the reasons I like to customize is keep the bike a living, breathing thing that evolves.

Having said that, with this machine, (and my '79 RD400 Daytona, the bike's place in history does come into play (first and last of it's kind, respectively).
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZJOE900

Just bought a 73 Z1 - what to do? 20 Jun 2013 07:37 #593189

• GregZ
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 88
Rob
Bike is here. I'll see what I can do whit it
thanks
gregz