Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 26 Dec 2011 10:45 #494700

• Topper
  • Topper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 133
I think we have enough riders to start planning the East Coast leg of the North American Relay Ride .

I'm volunteering to coordinate this part, but others are going need to step forward and take on other parts of the country.

We can run the entire length of the North Atlantic from Newfoundland all the way to Miami.

The first thing we need to decide is whether we're going to run North to South or South to North.

If we start in Newfoundland we can't really start until May due to the weather up North. If we start in Florida, we can get started sooner, but then we end up with the flag up in Newfoundland at the end of the run and will have to backtrack through New Brunswick, Maine, New Hampshire & Vermont to get it to a new rider.

I'm leaning towards a late start in Newfoundland. Then once the flag is down in Florida it'll be fairly easy for someone to pick it up and continue around the US.

Take a look at the map: g.co/maps/pc4rv and tell me what you think.

Also take a look at this document . It gives a very rough outline of the order we'd go in and the states where the flag would change hands. (This could go in reverse if we decide to go South to North)

If your name isn't listed in the above doc, don't worry. I'm imagining the people associated with each portion of the ride will work out who rides when/where amongst themselves. In Virginia for example I've got a couple people interested and I plan to organize it as a group ride. I didn't list all the people from Virginia though.

If your KZrider ID isn't on the above map, DO WORRY. Get yourself on there. It's how we're keeping track of everyone.
Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 26 Dec 2011 11:22 #494706

• Chaotic Reason
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
I like the group ride through VA idea. And I'd be up for cruising out to WV and then back down, really nice riding country out that way. I'm just say'n.
Thanks Topper for crossing the T's and dotting the I's on this one.
Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 26 Dec 2011 11:31 #494707

• Topper
  • Platinum Member
Yeah I figure you, me and jimstan will meet 650Ed, take the flag and do a group ride. Maybe go down the Blue Ridge Parkway a ways. Dip into WVA and eventually hand it off to tybolt99 in NC.

I've got a couple buddies that ride vintage Japense bikes here in VA including one who's working on a 70something KZ900 that was originally his Dad's. He's even got a pic of him as a baby straddling the bike. I'm hoping he's up and running by spring to join us.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 26 Dec 2011 11:50 #494711

• Chaotic Reason
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
That sounds good, the more the merrier. I hope I'm up by spring myself. :lol: It should be completely doable for me, just a matter of funds, as always. Being unemployed for a time, really puts a block on spending money for some reason... Now that I've been working for the last couple of months, I'm almost done playing catch-up with bills, so I can get back to buying the things I need to get my bike back together. Man, do I miss riding...
Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 27 Dec 2011 10:58 #494833

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443

jydog wrote: KZJOE900, I might be able to meet you in Panama City Beach FL providing I get my bike done in time and it is in good enough shape to ride 250 miles back home. Maybe enaz1 could meet me in Griffn GA. A Panama City Beach to Biloxi leg is another possibility for me also. That might be a little closer for you and a nice trip along the coast.

Sure, Panama City would mean an 11 hour round trip for me. Two hours more than meeting you half way up the I75. But a heck of a lot more interesting. So what are you proposing JYDog, that we meet for Spring Break in Panama City? B) Not sure if my wife would allow that, hehehehehhe. But in all seriousness, as long as the bike is up to it, I'm up to it. Maybe flyndrive and Boostable can chime in on what they would like to do. Maybe Boostable can do a leg with flyndrive, then I can meet Boostable for the exchange. Then onward to Panama. Boostable? Panama is within range for you as well, isn't it? :) I will repost this message on the east coast thread. But just wanted to put it here as well so people who have been following this thread can keep abreast of what is going on.
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 27 Dec 2011 18:55 #494866

• Flyndrive
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Im really wanting to help. It all depends on when my new baby arrives and if the wife will let me go for a day or so. Any ideas on start dates yet. Maybe Boostable would be able to ride down to me then we could ride together back up to KZJoe900. Or the other way around. What ever works.
1980 KZ 550A1
1985 GPZ 900R

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 27 Dec 2011 19:45 #494872

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443

Flyndrive wrote: Im really wanting to help. It all depends on when my new baby arrives and if the wife will let me go for a day or so. Any ideas on start dates yet. Maybe Boostable would be able to ride down to me then we could ride together back up to KZJoe900. Or the other way around. What ever works.

Congratulation on the baby! When are you guys due? Not sure about a start date. I'm sure closer to Spring. And besides, I could meet you half way, or Boostable maybe meet you half way for the exchange. So your ride could be done in a matter of a four hour round trip. Want to meet in Heehaw Junction? Keep in mind, that all riders have two rides to this relay. One for the pick up, and the other for the drop off. So that that doesn't mean that the two parts are done on the same day. Most likely separated by a few days or weekend or so. So for example, I may pick it up from you or Boostable one week and then meet JYDog a day the following week. Not within two consecutive days. Anybody has any thoughts on that?
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 27 Dec 2011 20:19 #494878

• ronnieV
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 280
I signed up for mass. And FrankenreX is ready
77 ltd1000 80 ltd1000 78kz1000a ,02 red zrx 12r, 94 cb1000 big one ,03 valkyrie (my couch) 65 olds 442
Attachments:

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 27 Dec 2011 20:27 #494881

• Flyndrive
  • User
Thanks. Our baby boy is due Feb. 21. That sounds good splitting it up. I have some friends I can try to get together to ride. Even though they all ride Harleys
1980 KZ 550A1
1985 GPZ 900R

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 27 Dec 2011 20:42 #494882

• Topper
  • Platinum Member

KZJOE900 wrote: Keep in mind, that all riders have two rides to this relay. One for the pick up, and the other for the drop off. So that that doesn't mean that the two parts are done on the same day. Most likely separated by a few days or weekend or so. So for example, I may pick it up from you or Boostable one week and then meet JYDog a day the following week. Not within two consecutive days. Anybody has any thoughts on that?

That's pretty much exactly what I was imagining. In my case pickup and drop off will probably have to happen on weekends, so it could be separated by a whole week.

Flyndrive wrote: Any ideas on start dates yet?

That depends a lot on which way we go. If we start in Newfoundland we can't really start until May. If we start in FL we can start earlier, but then we end up with the object all the way up in Newfoundland and have to backtrack a long ways to get to the next rider.

So what do you think about starting in May and going North to South?

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 27 Dec 2011 20:51 #494883

• Flyndrive
  • User
Wow. That late. I'll have to just wait and see if I'm still living here by he time it gets down here. My wife is in the Coast Guard and we are due to transfer in June.

I'll just have to play it by ear and see what happens.
1980 KZ 550A1
1985 GPZ 900R

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 28 Dec 2011 10:19 #494959

• jydog
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
Later works better for me, but Im shooting for either.
81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA