How do you ride a crotch rocket? 02 Sep 2007 17:16 #168074

• Talman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
tjettim wrote:

They made a SV1000 standard with a more upright
riding position with tube bars,you could covert
it.

Ditto. I believe the "S" in the name is for "Sport" hence the difference when compared to the standard one would expect from an SV.
1976 KZ 400 (Free, free, free...needs major work)
2004 Intruder Volusia
ex- 1976 KZ 400 Hot rod (Owned by return2ridin before me and Wolfencopter after me. Does anyone have it now
?)
ex- 1978 KZ 200
Bergen County, NJ

Aint no time to hate....barely time to wait

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 02 Sep 2007 18:43 #168091

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
  • Thank you received: 1
Link: How to ride a crotch rocket

Post edited by: jjdwoodman, at: 2007/09/02 21:46
77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 04 Sep 2007 22:14 #168612

• AR15Ron
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
First time I rode my Ninja 600 (1992 not even a new one) I pulled down the driveway like I normally do on the KZ and went to make the 90 degree turn into the garage and promplty fell over. One of the most embarassing bike incidents of my life. Everytime I ride it I find my thumbs hurt unbearably. One of my steering locks is broken off so I can turn fully to the left (have to remember to turn the key off so when the bars hit the tank the horn doesnt go off), I'm thinking of breaking off the other one.

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 04 Sep 2007 23:54 #168617

• Wilde
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hehehe, I absolutely agree with You. I am a middleage crisis guy who took up biking after 25 years of not riding. Tried a friends Honda Harley copy and it felt so absolutely wrong and utterly lifedangerous. Also tried daughters boyfriends crotchrocket and same thing, coldnĀ“t turn, and as I understand it You need a neck as a turkey. All ended in me buying a 1981 KZ. Looks exactly like they did when I was 18.

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 05 Sep 2007 04:29 #168629

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 117
OK, I'll chime in here since I have a Duc Monster 750.

I took the Class Riding School taught by former AMA Champion Reg Pridmore and they gave some good advice.

If you're putting weight on your wrists and locking your elbows you're asking for trouble to begin with. Try squeezing the tank with your legs and use your back and abs to hold you up. If you lock your elbows then all your body movements are going to be transferred into the bars.

My M750 originally came with a "superbike" handle bar but the PO put on some clip-ons that mount above the top triple. So now the controls are 4-5" lower and 1-2" further forward. Oh and if you think the SV has a big turning radius go to a Ducati dealer and play with a Monster on the showroom and compare.

Oh did I mention that I'm 6'5" and 190lbs. Talk about a monkey humping a football when I ride the Duc.

Later, Doug

Post edited by: StreetfighterKz, at: 2007/09/05 07:29
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax
Attachments:

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 05 Sep 2007 05:13 #168634

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
  • Thank you received: 7
"If you're putting weight on your wrists and locking your elbows you're asking for trouble to begin with. Try squeezing the tank with your legs and use your back and abs to hold you up. If you lock your elbows then all your body movements are going to be transferred into the bars."

WHOA!! Doug,
I may be learning something here!
Ok, in my other post (about crotch rockets) I'd mentioned that I didn't notice any difference in the handling between my KZ1000LTD, and my friend's son's GSX600.
Could it be because I just don't know how to ride a crotch rocket? When I do a high speed turn on my KZ, I'll slide off the seat and hang my knee out.
I take it, this is wrong for a Gixxer? I can find faster turns by tucking in and squeezing the tank?
OK, I wanna try it again.
I do recall noticing how form fitting the tank was to my knees, but like some of these other guys, trying to ride it without looking like a jellyfish laying over a log, is difficult.:whistle:

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 05 Sep 2007 05:25 #168637

• John68
  • John68's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Doug,
Thanks for the advice. I am seriously contemplating trading the SV1000S for a YZF600R. I would go for another 500EX, but they really don't do it for me in the looks department. I really like the looks of the Yamaha... mainly the blue paint and full fairing, but also the fact that the seat is comfortable and very forgiving for a 235 lb 5'11" rider. Those extra 35 lbs are probably what the problem is. Beer does a body good, if you want to have a nice ledge built into your abdomen for resting empty cans and bags of cheetos.

I think I should at least give this SV1000 a fair try before immediately dumping it. It does have lots of torque and power for a big twin. I also just can't get over the fact that it's fuel injected and requires no effort to get started and running. That's a big plus in my book. Switching back to a carbureted 4 cylinder would be hard. I do see an immediate concern, after reading your post. You say to use back muscles and abs to hold yourself up. Well, there is the problem. I don't have either!

I would be very interested to hear more tips on this from you. I am looking into some superbike forums to find some other good pointers, but so far, it just seems that they all say it is demanding and requires lots of strength and skill. I agree. It's a nice challenge, though. I have a new appreciation for those who take their bikes on 12 hour rides, and go to places like the mountain gap and the famous Dragon. Those people are just insane!

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 05 Sep 2007 06:55 #168662

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Rode a friends Honda 600 crotch a few years ago. These bikes are designed for one thing and one thing only, to go fast in the twistys! Entered the onramp in 2nd gear and decided to see what she would do. Opened her up and was NOT impressed until it hit about 10,000rpms and then all hell broke loose!, I hit the freeway about 90mph and realized I still had 4 more gears to go! These bikes are wicked fast and handle unbelevable in the corners but for overall commuting they are hard on the back and wrists. Squids don't care, they want the baddest thing out there kinda like if they get a dog it HAS to be a pitt bull with a spiked collar. These things are a dime a dozen. I like being different, hence my 27yo bike. Even if I could afford a new bike it would be a standard or a cruiser. Just my 2 cents worth. :)
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 05 Sep 2007 08:44 #168672

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
John, there's a kid in town with a new '07 YZF600 in that lovely cobalt blue. Very pretty bike in the sunlight and that is the color I want to paint the 650B.

That said, have you looked at the Ninja 650R? It is supposed to have standard ergonomics and a more updated styling than the 500EX.

If I have to depend on my back and abs to hold me up, I'm in trouble. Too much Budweiser in years past. :pinch:
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 05 Sep 2007 09:00 #168677

• John68
  • John68's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
color-rite has the color listed for $109 a pint. :blink:

I'm sure you could get a prophet formula through any jobber for the same stuff for a LOT less.

It's a wicked color, and the first time I saw it, I was in awe. I love the metallic blues. www.colorrite.com/product_info.php?products_id=96

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 05 Sep 2007 09:06 #168679

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 117
riverroad wrote:

I may be learning something here!
Ok, in my other post (about crotch rockets) I'd mentioned that I didn't notice any difference in the handling between my KZ1000LTD, and my friend's son's GSX600.
Could it be because I just don't know how to ride a crotch rocket? When I do a high speed turn on my KZ, I'll slide off the seat and hang my knee out.
I take it, this is wrong for a Gixxer? I can find faster turns by tucking in and squeezing the tank?

I hang off quite often on the Duc, however I have not put a knee down. Right now my chicken strips are about 3/8"-1/2" wide on the back tire and slightly narrower on the front. (Remember this is while hanging off so the bike is more upright than if I didn't.)

I've been practicing on a certain off ramp and try different techniques. The best results come from hanging off and using my inner thigh on my outer leg to keep me up. I still keep my arms relaxed and let the bike do the work. So far I'm up to 80mph. I attached a pic. It doesn't look like a tight turn but there's not much banking to it. BTW, I DON'T CONDONE RECKLESS RIDING. But it's my only way of practicing my skill.

Later, Doug

Post edited by: StreetfighterKz, at: 2007/09/05 12:07

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax
Attachments:

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 05 Sep 2007 09:07 #168680

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
Ouch!

I've seen some cars with a very close version of it. I figure that I'll get the pieces ready for my favorite body guy this winter and if he ever shoots a car with that color he can do my pieces at the same time.
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )