Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 02 Sep 2007 03:42 #167917

• John68
  • John68's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
This may sound like a crazy question, but I am just completely perplexed.

If anyone has any experience with these things, I'd really like to know how it is done.

I am going to trade a 2006 Suzuki SV1000-S for my 1968 Mustang. Why? because I am tired of trying to sell the Mustang, and apparently no one thinks it is worth what I am asking for it, or even close ot what I am asking for it. The point... People make me mad, and then wonder why I want to do physical harm to them.

So, I have the opportunity to trade my car for 1 of 2 bikes.

The first bike offered for trade is a 1992 Harley Fatboy, that is completely customized. The bad, the bike has a reconstructed title, therefore is not worth that much money if I ever wanted to sell it. The Mustang needs restored, and could be sold for 4 times what I am asking if it was restored. The bike has forward controls and I really am not fond of sitting in the "lazyboy" position on a motorcycle. It just seems dangerous as can be. What do you do if you have to run something over on the road? You can't lift your weight off the seat, or lean over the gas tank.

Now, the second bike is a 2006 SV1000-S suzuki with 1160 miles on it. This bike has a clear title and was bought new in march 2007, as a left over from the previous year. The guy who wants to trade it can't ride it because of nerve damage and his hand locks up on the throttle. Otherwise, there is no reason for him to sell. He would not be selling it if it wasn't for his health and he is moving soon. here's a link thing to the bike. The problem...

I took the bike for a test drive, and was just stunned. I felt like an idiot. The handlebars point towards the back of the bike, and are so low behind the front of the gas tank that you have to put your arms on the tank. On top of that, the turning radius is just about stupid. There is no turning radius. I think the official turning radius is "as wide as a 4 lane highway" because I tried to turn the bike around on a 2 lane highway, and I had to stop, back up, and take another attempt at it. Also, and my reason for feeling like a retard...

After I got on the bike, I went to the end of my driveway and when I tried to turn out onto the road, my hand and wrist hit the gas tank, while on the throttle. Yes, the handlebars do not touch the tank, but they come so close that you can't turn fully wiht your hand wrapped around the grip. So, I wobbled like a fool, not to mention me leaning over the gas tank with my leather jacket riding up and my pants coming down to the point where I am sure everyone saw my buttcrack. AFter a quick ride down the road at 40mph, I was deffinitely sure everyone saw my buttcrack, as the air ballooned my pants up pretty good. Let me just say, I am not dainty, or "sporty." I am what they call round. I think round, stout, husky, and meanacing are words not normally associated with guys who ride these bikes. Perhaps that is the whole problem? I am more of a bull in a china shop. Anyhow-

I realized 3 things on this ride:

1. these bikes get more and more uncomfortable as they get newer. I had a 1995 Ninja 500 a long time ago, and while I wasn't as heavy then, I still felt more comfortable on it.

2. My balance is awful when laying in the prone position. If I ever had to have missionary position sex on a balance beam, I would fall off. Although, I think I perfected the "one hand superman seat grab with indian air" when I goosed the throttle. Now I see why I was never a motorX superstar.

3. I am pretty sure that my neck is longer in the back than in the front, because I couldn't seem to tilt my head back far enough to actually get a good look at the road. My helmet pretty much block all view of anything more than 30 feet in front of me. Strangley enough, when laying on my back, in bed, I have no problem seeing the TV while wearing my helmet.

So, I am not sure. I am thinking of buying this bike, and just dusting and waxing it and stare at it in teh garage. Perhaps a few loops around the walmart parking lot every once in a while... I am just curious if I am doing something wrong, or if these bikes are just that uncomfortable. It's like sex in the back of a VW bug. It's possible to do, but almost unbearably uncomfortable.

I guess this is more of a rant than anything. I don't know. I am just stunned at how people actually ride these things. I'll loose 60 lbs and then re-evaluate these superbikes.

Post edited by: John68, at: 2007/09/02 07:09

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 02 Sep 2007 03:59 #167920

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 300
John, welcome back...haven't heard from you in some time. And no, your observations are not wrong on new sportbikes...they are ergonomically designed for shorter, younger folks, who are relatively thin. I'd look silly...sat on a Hayabusa awhile ago and wasn't comfortable and the salesman had a smirk on his face...he missed the point...he should have been thinking about my credit score, not my beer belly. Think I'll keep my KZ's and GPz's...more my style :)
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 02 Sep 2007 04:18 #167924

• John68
  • User
Hey! Long time it has been!

You would be so happy to know I haven't done a single thing to my GPz. It is just sitting there, collecting dust and rust, and it's in a bunch of boxes with the sandblasted frame setting on top of them. It's pretty odd looking on the shag green carpet. I should get a picture of it. It's different, to say the least.

I am wondering if loosing the beer gut will help me ride the SV1000. If I did that, it would mean I would have to quit drinking, and I am pretty sure drinking is more fun than a crotch rocket. I must say, the GPz would not stand a chance on a flat straight drag strip against the SV1000. and as far as chicken strips goes, I think I left one in my pants.

Glad to hear from you, I might be hanging around here a little more, once I get riding again. I have been putting some miles on GargantuChet's KZ650 the past couple of weeks. It really makes me miss the GPz every time I fire it up. Don't get me wrong, the KZ650 is a great bike, but that GPz really fit me well.

IF only I had time and money and ambition to get that GPz running again. It will take just short of a miracle at this point!

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 02 Sep 2007 04:49 #167928

• slickware
  • User
  • My bike is as old as I am
  • Thank you received: 2
I think the answer to this question is:

In shorts, a tank-top (wife-B ), and flip-flop sandals. Helmet not required unless by law in your state of residence. Also recommended are tribal (barbed-wire) style tattoos and a frosted-tip haircut.

At least, around here, that's how you ride them.

:lol:

Post edited by: slickware, at: 2007/09/02 07:50

1982 KZ1100 Spectre
Old. Shiny.

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 02 Sep 2007 05:51 #167935

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
Welcome back, John. So that's what happened to Chet, he sold his bike to you. I was wondering where he had gone to. I hope all is well with him.

As for the SV, you make some interesting observations. All along I've been led to believe that it is a "standard" model with upright seating position, etc. Perhaps the GSXRs are even more radical in their ergonomics so that the magazine writers have settled on "standard" to indicate "not so extreme".

Then there is the gynecological exam seating position of cruisers which, as you correctly point out, seem almost dangerous to me. I've pointed this out to some in the past and the result is usually a blank stare. I think an appreciation for the pegs under a person comes after riding in the dirt for a while where you learn to control the bike by shifting your weight from one peg to the other, absorbing impacts by standing up slightly, or going over an obstacle by a combination of the above. That's not to say that stretching one's legs is bad, in fact it's good, but I want to sit up so I can lean forward or back as I want and have my feet under me for maximum control.

It is absurd to me that there are two predominant seating positions on the market today, prone or sitting on one's tailbone. Neither has appeal to me.
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 02 Sep 2007 06:37 #167944

• John68
  • User
Hi Nate!
Long time, very long time, since I have been here.

Chet is doing very well, but he has been very busy with a full tim job, and he just finished school, which, coupled with his normal 50+ hours of work per week, was draining him of anything ressembling "free time." I do believe his exact words were, "What is this 'free time' that you speak of?"

Anyhow, I didn't buy the bike from him, I am merely "test driving," yes that's it... "test driving" his bike for him. Someone has to be the test pilot, and I might as well make that sacrifice. B) A while back, he had bought the carb rebuild kits for it, from Z1. In the kit, some of the o rings weren't quite right and were causing a problem, so he hadn't been riding it, as it required about half choke to stay running. So, I took care of that problem for him in my "free time" and also got a few other little bugs worked out with it, and right now, that bike is humming along like the kids on 'Barney & Friends.'
My main goal is to put as many miles on the bike as I possibly can before he wants it back. :whistle: :evil:

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 02 Sep 2007 08:26 #167956

• KZErider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
All of what you said is why I started looking for an older Kaw. Just couldn't get excited about any of the newer stuff. I guess that when it comes to "normal" there's just not much out there. The closest I've come to liking any of the stuff I've looked at are the Honda 919 and the Duc GT1000. So I guess I'll just focus back on my projects.
81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 02 Sep 2007 09:18 #167961

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
As you were saying about the riding position, it gets better the longer you ride it. I remember the first time I rode with drag bars. I thought my wrists, neck, forearms and back were in hell after a short ride, but the longer I rode it,the better it got. You are using muscles in ways you haven't before and once you ride in the new position and get those muscles stretched and limbered up some, it will seem more "natural". Of course, it isn't as comfortable as the upright position, but if you ride the bike, after awhile it won't feel so awkward and "painful". When you get these bikesup to the speed they are capable of, that new riding position starts to feel like the smart thing to do, but, really...how often do you go out cruising at 175 mph? Yea, some kids try, but that's why they have a hard time living to be old like us! The riding position matches what the bike is designed for but, as much as I like speed, I have yet to find anyplace where I can come close to using the bike anywhere close to it's potential, so I am satisfied with my Z and it's riding position for the riding I can actually do! At the track is another deal, but I'm only riding in that position for a VERY short trip (hopefully...LOL), so it don't really notice. If you like the bike, get it and ride it. It will get better once you get used to it and you will always have your trusty Z to let your body heal itself. LOL
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 02 Sep 2007 09:36 #167966

• John68
  • User
and you thought I was kidding about the green shag carpet!

:whistle:

Post edited by: John68, at: 2007/09/02 12:41
Attachments:

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 02 Sep 2007 09:52 #167972

• caffcruiser
  • User
I actually prefer the positioning of the newer sportbikes. Then again, I'm 5' 8" and thin.

As for the radius, it's a bike you have to lean more. Better balance will get you smaller turns on it at lower speeds. I can lean a GSXR and get a tight turn radius while coasting after working at the shop for awhile and riding all these bikes.

The GSXR/KZ bike I'm building will have the same posture and stuff for one reason: It's performance tested.

Like they say "You can have comfort, or you can have performance.... but you can't really have 100% of both."

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 02 Sep 2007 14:15 #168011

• themachine
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
get some risers and put some superbike bars on it, i know the newer 2000+ z1000 come with them and that some of the buells have em too.
82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

How do you ride a crotch rocket? 02 Sep 2007 15:24 #168042

• tjettim
  • User
They made a SV1000 standard with a more upright
riding position with tube bars,you could covert
it.