• Page:

TOPIC:

First build - 1982 KZ1000 Police 12 Oct 2016 11:08 #745050

• MDSBLCK
  • MDSBLCK's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi everyone,

Lots of first for me these days - first Kawasaki, first time attempting to build/modify a bike, first time posting on this awesome KZ forum. So be gentle, I'm a newbie. I've already learned so much and gotten so much inspiration from reading about other user's builds, so I wanted to start a thread about my own project, both to sorta keep track of it for myself, to hopefully get some helpful insight from you all, and to maybe even inspire someone else perusing the interwebs to get started on their own project.

I've been riding since my early 20's, but haven't had a bike for a few years, and I never really learned any of the mechanics behind the bikes I rode or even how to fix basic issues. I've been itching to get back in the saddle AND to learn more about how these creatures work, so a couple of weeks ago I threw caution to the wind and bought a "project bike". The story goes that this bike was running well, but was dirty, so after riding it for a while the previous owner decided to take it apart and clean it up. Tank, covers, fairing (which I'm selling) was all cleaned, painted and cleared. The frame was powdercoated. The external engine parts were meticulously cleaned. And then he (the previous owner) had to move to the west coast. So for five years this bike - taken apart and in boxes - has been sitting in a garage in SoCal. Everything looks great, so I'm very optimistic, though I obviously haven't heard the engine running yet.

Here's what it looked like when I brought it home:

And here's where I'm currently at:

The goal is a stripped down street bike with just a hint of "cafe" in it. Nothing too crazy. I wanna keep some of the Police heritage, but get rid of the fairing and the boxes.

I've been doing mostly cosmetic stuff, skirting around the real issue of getting the engine running, while I've been familiarizing myself with the bike and the manual, getting spare parts, etc. I've cleaned and painted brake calipers, rear shocks, and other minor things to get them nice and shiny. I've changed tires, changed fork oil and checked for leaks, etc. I've cleaned and lubed bolts, bearings, etc. Changed a couple of the gaskets already, waiting on new o-rings all around. Lots of stuff, but all minor and somewhat insignificant. On to the important things now; the engine.

When I got the bike, the top end of the engine was off. The bottom has not been split open and I don't intend to do so, if I can avoid it. A few questions have popped up:

1. Am I right in not being intimated too much by this project, thinking I can get a machine like this running myself? Or am I putting myself in danger by trying to make a 1000cc bike rideable with no prior knowledge of mechanics?

2. Is it OK to reuse the piston rings? I've carefully cleaned them (and the pistons) and they seem to be in good condition. I've ready conflicting opinions on this. I'm getting new snap rings for the piston pins.

3. Is there anything in particular I should look out for when cleaning the camshaft and valves? They have some light surface rust, but generally look good. I know I have to be very careful. Any tips of the best way to do this?

4. Is there a way to test the pistons and cylinders before putting it all back on the bike?

5. And finally - as another project while I'm waiting for the parts I need for the engine reassembly - I've been working on a new wiring harness diagram. I want to get rid of all the police wiring and go as basic as possible. I drew this up by referencing the Clymer manual and original diagram, and the amazing motorcycle wiring guide by John Partridge. Can anyone with electrical knowledge tell me if this diagram would work?

www.dropbox.com/s/jq0ikdt2e0qq2vk/KZ1000...g%20Diagram.png?dl=0

Thanks so much for keeping this forum alive and for looking out for newbies like myself. It's been an invaluable source already!
Currently:
1982 KZ1000 Police

Previously:
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CX650 Sport

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by MDSBLCK. Reason: Pictures

First build - 1982 KZ1000 Police 12 Oct 2016 12:45 #745055

• Jussumguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
Did you get a service manual with it?

First build - 1982 KZ1000 Police 12 Oct 2016 16:15 #745069

• MDSBLCK
  • User
I got the Clymer manual and the Supplemental Service Manual for the police model, as well.
Currently:
1982 KZ1000 Police

Previously:
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CX650 Sport

First build - 1982 KZ1000 Police 12 Oct 2016 17:42 #745080

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
I was said a man must know his limitations. How would you know if you don't test them? :blink:
Can you post pics of the bores, head, valves, etc? If they're in good shape you can take a rough measurement with the pistons in the bores and a feeler gauge. How many miles on the bike? I'd focus on getting the engine sorted first. As was suggested in another thread, you can drop the pan and inspect the tranny dogs and gears. Also noting any debris in the pan.
I guess that's enough to start with for now. :whistle:
Steve

First build - 1982 KZ1000 Police 13 Oct 2016 13:27 #745162

• MDSBLCK
  • User

swest wrote: I was said a man must know his limitations. How would you know if you don't test them? :blink:
Can you post pics of the bores, head, valves, etc? If they're in good shape you can take a rough measurement with the pistons in the bores and a feeler gauge. How many miles on the bike? I'd focus on getting the engine sorted first. As was suggested in another thread, you can drop the pan and inspect the tranny dogs and gears. Also noting any debris in the pan.
I guess that's enough to start with for now. :whistle:
Steve

There's no fun in limitations :-)

So, I took a bunch of pictures. A lot. I'll divide 'em up into a couple of different posts, so everything is nice and organized...

First up, the cylinder. Already cleaned this, but made the mistake of also cleaning off some of the carbon build-up on the inside at the very top, which I later learned actually helps with compression. *Facepalm* There are definitely visible scratches on the inside, but it all feels completely smooth to the touch.

Currently:
1982 KZ1000 Police

Previously:
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CX650 Sport

First build - 1982 KZ1000 Police 13 Oct 2016 13:33 #745163

• MDSBLCK
  • User
Second, the pistons. They are reasonably clean. I was afraid to get too rough on them, but I did clean off a lot of carbon build-up on the top and in the ring grooves. They're still somewhat dirty on the underside, where it was hard for me to get to. I took out the rings, cleaned them, and put them back in. The only parts of the rings I couldn't really get to was the build-up in the little groove on the second ring from the top and the spacer with all the hills and valleys...

Currently:
1982 KZ1000 Police

Previously:
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CX650 Sport

First build - 1982 KZ1000 Police 13 Oct 2016 13:36 #745165

• MDSBLCK
  • User
Third, the cylinder head. Have not done any cleaning on this at all. I've just kept it wrapped up. It's next on my to-do list.

Currently:
1982 KZ1000 Police

Previously:
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CX650 Sport

First build - 1982 KZ1000 Police 13 Oct 2016 13:39 #745166

• MDSBLCK
  • User
Fourth, the valves. Have also not touched these since I got them. I forgot to take pictures of the tappets and shims. The tappets have a bit of surface rust on them too, but it looks like it would come off easily.

Currently:
1982 KZ1000 Police

Previously:
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CX650 Sport

First build - 1982 KZ1000 Police 13 Oct 2016 13:43 #745167

• MDSBLCK
  • User
Fifth, the carburetor. Have also not touched this at all. Looks fairly clean, if a bit squeaky...

Also, the cam chain, which looks pretty good. I haven't oiled it or anything yet.

And the representative condition of the crankcase and crankshaft.

Currently:
1982 KZ1000 Police

Previously:
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CX650 Sport

First build - 1982 KZ1000 Police 13 Oct 2016 13:46 #745169

• MDSBLCK
  • User
Aaaaand finally, the camshafts.

Sorry about all the large pictures, but I wasn't sure what was relevant/irrelevant to include. Hope it doesn't freeze up anyone's computers!
Currently:
1982 KZ1000 Police

Previously:
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CX650 Sport

First build - 1982 KZ1000 Police 13 Oct 2016 13:51 #745170

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
You'll need to take off the rings to measure the bores with the pistons. The bottom ring set is three piece. Using the pistons upside down in the bores you can use a feeler gauge to measure the clearances top middle and bottom. It's rough mind you but will give you a good idea where you're at. Is there a ridge at the tops? Miles on it? The scuffing may be taken out with a hone. Put the rings in the bores and measure their end gaps. Could be the oil is coming from bad valve guide seals. I'd use new rings if the bores aren't too bad.
Steve

Attachments:

First build - 1982 KZ1000 Police 13 Oct 2016 13:58 #745171

• MDSBLCK
  • User

swest wrote: You'll need to take off the rings to measure the bores with the pistons. The bottom ring set is three piece. Using the pistons upside down in the bores you can use a feeler gauge to measure the clearances top middle and bottom. It's rough mind you but will give you a good idea where you're at. Is there a ridge at the tops? Miles on it? The scuffing may be taken out with a hone. Put the rings in the bores and measure their end gaps. Could be the oil is coming from bad valve guide seals. I'd use new rings if the bores aren't too bad.
Steve

If by "ridge at the tops" you mean that carbon build-up in a ring around the inside of the bores, then yes. I cleaned most of it off on two of the bores before I learned that I should have left it in to help with compression. Must have missed that part in the manual first time through. Sigh. Other than that I don't see or feel any ridges.

The bike has 104.000 miles on it, i think. The odometer shows 4.000, but I'm guessing (and the previous owner agrees) that it's been around one time already. Not sure if these pistons or bores have ever been replaced/honed before.
Currently:
1982 KZ1000 Police

Previously:
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CX650 Sport

• Page: