Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

82 750 Spectre project. 27 Jun 2015 15:17 #678518

• medic455
  • medic455's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I posted my new 750 Spectre in the new members forum so I suppose now its time for a project thread. My goal for this project is a resto-mod I guess is the best name for it, not sure of the final look I'm going for yet. I do know I wan't to gear more towards a "standard" look and less cruiser. I will probably be picking everyone's brains here for ideas haha.

Today I didn't have a lot of time but I started disassemble. I used to be a mechanic by trade but never on motorcycles so I am taking my time making sure I am studying as I go.

Tanks has some dings but nothing too bad, I'm thinking of going with a different tank though.

Shop Helper

And I discovered it had dyna ignition,

First thing I did today was charge the front shocks with about 11psi and the rears with 20psi. Front shocks seem not to have any leaks but the rears are leaking. I do have an extra set but I think I am going to go with coil rears. Also found Allballs front and rear wheel bearing in the box of extras that came with the bike. All and all it was a great first day to start on the new project. I just wish I had more time and it wasn't 95 degrees in the open air shop haha.
Do what is right, do what is necessary. Everything else is negotiable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by medic455.

82 750 Spectre project. 27 Jun 2015 15:20 #678519

• medic455
  • User
Oh and a slowly growing pile of parts that will probably not end up back on the bike, not sure if the factory lights and "highway bars" are worth posting up for sale or not.

82 750 Spectre project. 29 Jun 2015 14:12 #678741

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
  • Thank you received: 5
Medic, I'd keep a box of old parts on hand for a bit just in case you end up needing elements to make your resto work. Mine will go on eBay once my bike is up and running. Welcome to projects and I'm pumped to see what you do with this old spectre! What are you thinking of switching the tank to?
As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!

Last edit: by Jbosh.

82 750 Spectre project. 29 Jun 2015 16:30 #678763

• medic455
  • User

Medic, I'd keep a box of old parts on hand for a bit just in case you end up needing elements to make your resto work. Mine will go on eBay once my bike is up and running. Welcome to projects and I'm pumped to see what you do with this old spectre! What are you thinking of switching the tank to?

I will probably keep the the spare parts for that reason exactly, For the tank I am not sure yet, I am on a super tight budget for this project. I like the older more square style tanks, and some more capacity would be nice. I found a post a while ago on interchangeability of tanks for this exact model and now that I actually have the bike to work on I can't find it lol.

82 750 Spectre project. 30 Jun 2015 06:11 #678820

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
The Spectre 750 fuel tank attaches differently at the rear than other 750-4's. The upper triple is kinda straight across, so it will probably bang against a larger tank. For possible fitment, maybe the 750E tank which is 4.2 gals. The rear mount uses the same bolt, collar & damper as the Spectre, but the rear tab is oriented differently. You might be able to bend it 90o up but it may or may not fit right. And the Spectre triple might bang against the E tank.

For direct bolt-on, I'd guess these models, but they are all probably the same capacity.
1982 KZ750-N1 Spectre FUEL TANK
1983 KZ750-F1 LTD Shaft FUEL TANK
1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre FUEL TANK

82 750 Spectre project. 30 Jun 2015 18:35 #678879

• medic455
  • User
Thanks for the info Martin. The 750E tank is the one I was thinking of I believe. I wish I had a welder I could make some mounts, I will probably stick with the tank I have for now, unless I can I figure out a bolt on mount that will work.

82 750 Spectre project. 01 Jul 2015 05:14 #678919

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
Another possibility would be the tank from a KZ1000-P Police bike (the earlier C police tanks are different).
I don't know their capacity, but I'd guess bigger than the Spectre's. The 1982-2005 P models attach at the rear similar to the 750 Spectre. The upper triple isn't angled as much forward as the 750E, so perhaps a Police tank won't get banged by the triple. However, the 1000 is a Big bike, so the tank may be longer than yours. Most of this is just educated guesses.
You could ask for a couple of measurements, either here on KZR or someone on eebbaayy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: medic455

Last edit: by martin_csr.

82 750 Spectre project. 03 Jul 2015 14:51 #679290

• medic455
  • User
Awesome I will look into that, thanks for all the info!

82 750 Spectre project. 03 Jul 2015 14:57 #679292

• medic455
  • User
Got a good chunk of the tear down done today, hopefully completely bare frame by the weekend and start working on the seat pan.

Then I put the tank and seat pan on and stared at it for about an hour having a drink or 3 haha.

That seat pan is way too huge, I think I have some ideas though and I am going to attempt to make my own custom seat. Probably have someone else do the cover though.

82 750 Spectre project. 04 Jul 2015 05:58 #679366

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
  • Thank you received: 5
Medic, it looks to me like the PO did some work on your carbs with repainting and aftermarket pod filters. How well did the bike run before your tear down?
As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!

82 750 Spectre project. 04 Jul 2015 06:39 #679373

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
I'd keep the crash guards. maybe have them chromed? Being there is no bolt on ignition housing, it is possible when the bike goes down the case can be broken. That would make for a FK'd up day. :whistle:
Steve

82 750 Spectre project. 04 Jul 2015 09:55 #679395

• medic455
  • User

Medic, it looks to me like the PO did some work on your carbs with repainting and aftermarket pod filters. How well did the bike run before your tear down?

It started up and idled fine but was running lean. The PO had the engine rebuilt but tuning the carbs was next on the list, wasn't taken out on the street ever since the rebuild. He was waiting to get the brakes and suspension freshened up before riding it again but ended up losing interest.

I'd keep the crash guards. maybe have them chromed? Being there is no bolt on ignition housing, it is possible when the bike goes down the case can be broken. That would make for a FK'd up day. :whistle:
Steve

I am thinking of having them powder coated or painted with the frame. Part of me wants to be sensible and put them on and part of me wants to risk it for a clean look (I know this is not the smart choice.. but I cant help it haha) Sooo once I get things cleaned up and see how it looks I will decide I suppose