Drag bike project - kz1000

More
03 Aug 2012 22:00 - 03 Aug 2012 22:02 #540609 by SikSol
Drag bike project - kz1000 was created by SikSol
New here, figure start a build thread from only a day after getting the bike so I can keep a log of this little adventure.

I ran across this '77 with a good bit of work already done.. everything from air shift to stretched swingarm with a 190 shootout tire. Bike is fully street legal with all working lights and turn signals, functioning charging system etc..

Plans are to possibly remove the front fairing in favor of just a traditional style headlight, get the carb's lined out (will pull strong through some rpms and bog in others).. bike starts right up real easy even when cold. Over the winter I'd like to tear it down and do a 1327 build complete with worked over heads, cams, rs34's, possibly a little shot of go juice, we'll see.

Has a few issues, throttle is like a hair trigger.. takes some force to twist then wham it opens up. Can't really roll on smoothly, also running rich the carbs need some work bogs out up in the rpms or to much throttle in the video had to keep it about 50% or under on throttle and not venture to high into the rpms... needs some love but not bad for a old bike.

Can't figure out how to embed a video on here yet, so if anyone knows that would be appreciated lol!
Last edit: 03 Aug 2012 22:02 by SikSol.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2012 18:02 #540728 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Drag bike project - kz1000
Looks like a good foundation to start with. I'll be watching! Do you know what front end and wheels you have there? What's the wheelbase?

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
05 Aug 2012 19:09 - 05 Aug 2012 19:11 #540884 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Drag bike project - kz1000

SikSol wrote: New here, figure start a build thread from only a day after getting the bike so I can keep a log of this little adventure.

I ran across this '77 with a good bit of work already done.. everything from air shift to stretched swingarm with a 190 shootout tire. Bike is fully street legal with all working lights and turn signals, functioning charging system etc..

Plans are to possibly remove the front fairing in favor of just a traditional style headlight, get the carb's lined out (will pull strong through some rpms and bog in others).. bike starts right up real easy even when cold. Over the winter I'd like to tear it down and do a 1327 build complete with worked over heads, cams, rs34's, possibly a little shot of go juice, we'll see.

Has a few issues, throttle is like a hair trigger.. takes some force to twist then wham it opens up. Can't really roll on smoothly, also running rich the carbs need some work bogs out up in the rpms or to much throttle in the video had to keep it about 50% or under on throttle and not venture to high into the rpms... needs some love but not bad for a old bike.

Can't figure out how to embed a video on here yet, so if anyone knows that would be appreciated lol!

You want at least 38mm carbs for a 1327 motor. RS34's can't feed it well enough. If it's a serious contender...get Lectrons for it. Also, make certain the bottom end is up to the task. I did a head for a 1428 motor and the bottom end came apart after about 3 passes....Why they didn't check the crank is a mystery to me.....

Larry C.
Last edit: 05 Aug 2012 19:11 by LarryC.