Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 25 Feb 2013 03:34 #574012

• jarrad
  • jarrad's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
taking my engine home from work today, everyone said it wouldn't fit in a GTI and i should take a V6 wagon for the night...

I call bullshit:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 15 Mar 2013 01:09 #576987

• jarrad
  • User
Ok folks, I'm all moved in in Brisbane, house is setup, ikea flat packs all build and just got back from recycling all the boxes!

Now to set up my shed FINALY I HAVE A FUCKEN SHED!!!!!! Fuck yeah!

I rounded up all the bike and threw her together for a looksy, hopefully now everyone can understand my insane plan....

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 15 Mar 2013 14:32 #577055

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 15 Mar 2013 15:58 #577066

• DesertKZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
As a fellow ST owner, hurry up man, this build is awesome!
1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 30 Mar 2013 04:32 #579564

• jarrad
  • User
Haha here ya go Desert....

RIGHT!!!! Ripped into my engine today,

I'm pretty happy with what I have found, the head is in great condition, I reckon a valve grind and clean and it's done.

The barrels need a bit of work, I can still see the hone marks but however long sitting idle has produced some surface rust,
I may get away with just a hone but I need to look at them a bit more:
But no scores or burn marks! Yay!!!!

Cyl 1:

Cyl 2:

Cyl 3:

Cyl 4:

The slugs look good!

The rods are tight as (insert dirty pun here)

Overall very happy with my $300 engine!

If anyone has any info on the markings on the slugs or the rods please let me know.

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 31 Mar 2013 00:51 #579739

• jarrad
  • User
Rite I have found out the slugs are a WIESCO 1105 cc kit for a Z1000J so maybe standard for a GPZ11??

Pulled the bottem end down this arvo and in super happy with what I have found.
-clutch looks mint
-crank looks mint
-gears look mint
In fact it looks like a brand new bottom end!

And this is how my shed looks at the moment, I'm going to sort out some form of work bench tomorrow.

Last edit: by jarrad.

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 31 Mar 2013 23:51 #579874

• jarrad
  • User
"nobody beats super a mart"

Even for garage work bench's..... Got a new dining table with one chair for $89!
I couldn't even buy the material to build myself a bench for that.

Where are my head studs you ask?

So I cleaned all the gaffa tape off my bearing surfaces and the next step is to clean all the glass beads out of the oil galleries, I don't wan any of those little bastards floating around!

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 01 Apr 2013 01:18 #579880

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Hot soapy water, followed by blowing out the oil passages, seems the best way to remove the grit.Lightly oil any steel parts to prevent rust.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 01 Apr 2013 01:23 #579882

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
The Old 4 Cylinder Dinosaur

Many of you, who are owners of older bigger 4 cylinder Kawasaki’s, may have noticed when out for a ride for a snack or a “Cold One” how a crowd will gather next to your bike.

Statements will be made about how they had one, or their Fathers, Brothers or Uncles owned one and how fast it was, and how for the most part, the newer, faster, sports bikes on the street tend to be ignored when you drive up on your “Dinosaur”.

Sure, the older bikes cannot compete with today’s motorcycles in handling and acceleration, but they can sure turn heads when they rumble down the streets exhausting through a nice 4 into 1 collector.

If the owner of a new sport bike wonders why the interest in your bike, ask him/her in 20-30 years will his/her bike attract as much notice as your’s does today? Our older bikes are like the “Muscle Cars” of the 70’s.

Mtbspeedfreak wrote:
I cannot believe the number of compliments I get on my bike! Random guys (mostly ) who roll down a window at a stoplight, guys at the muffler shop, hanging out at the motorcycle shops around town.

Heard quite a few stories- "I wanted one but my GF said no, glad I listened because I married her" and the occasional "a friend of mine was killed on one..." Pull up to bike night and the Harley guys will come over, the occasional crotch rocket riding squid will mumble a compliment under his breath, and sure I get a lot of "why do you ride THAT old bike?!?" Truth is, I quite honestly wouldn't trade it for nearly anything!

Sheldon bourgeoi wrote:
I must admit, it is a pretty good feeling when you park your bike at the local stop, and people come up to it to have a look. It's even better when your getting gas, and some middle aged guy comes up to you "reminiscing" about how he had the same bike back in high school. Then, as he walks away to leave, he hands you his name and phone number on a piece of paper, then tells you to call him if you ever decide to sell it. That's happened to me more than once!

Steel Panther wrote:
The old inline fours are cool. They are my favorite bikes. The ol' Z1R with a good exhaust, made music, not noise. The vertical twins are pretty cool too. Every once in a while I'll stumble across a gem someone has preserved or restored. They always draw my attention. Cool thread, brings back memories.

roy-b-boy-b wrote:
Amen Brother. It happens to me all the time. A guy was checking out my bike real good yesterday. He had owned the Kawasaki dealership in town when the Mach II tripples came out.

Househunter wrote:
I bought my '78 KZ1000 in 1983 "BC" (Before Children) Had not been licensed since '94 until last summer. Since July '10, I put over 10K miles on her. I too have been amazed at the number of people commenting or passing on the highway and giving a "thumbs up" as they go buy. The wife wanted me to sell it many times but I just had to keep her (and the wife too). So glad I did!!!!

Z1Ron Wrote:
Soon after I had restored my Z1 in 1986 ......

I was in an auto parts store and a young kid, with a helmet under his arm, came up to me and asked if that was my Kawasaki outside. I replied yes.
He said that he had one just like it. Since I hadn't seen too many in stock form, I was skeptical. However, to my surprise, there was an identical Z1 parked beside mine. Couldn't believe it. As it worked out, I had run into the fella a few months later and he asked if I wanted to buy what was left of his Z1 (there was a fire involved, but that's another story). Since now it was a basket case and missing a few things, I built a modified "Z1000R" using a GPz750 donor.

MDZ1Rider Wrote:
I took just the gas tank from my 73 to local body shop for a paint estimate. It took about 10 minutes before every employee (10+) was gathered round. The younger guys didn't know what they were looking at, but the older guys were schooling them..."when I was your age, if you saw that tank next to you at a red light, you didn't even try"
I don't get the dangerous comments as often on the Z1. However, I heard "widow maker" more than once when I had my H2. Compared to an H2, I consider the Z1 a rather well mannered beast.

griffer Wrote:
I ride my z1a to breakfast every morning and almost every time someone comes in to find the person riding the "KZ" I used to correct them with a short education on the history of the kawasaki 4. Now I just say thanks man , I'm very proud to have owned her since new.

Jacksdad wrote:
I gotta chime in here, last winter(10-2011) money was tight, and the wife says to me we should figure out a way to cut back because of the gas prices, next day, at Home Depot,(job) I casually ask an older guy if he has any bikes for sale (he has about 8) and he says "yeah, matter of fact I do, 79 Kawasaki KZ750 that I'd been tinckering with for a few months, but could never get to run, I'll let you take a look at it and tell me what you think" so a week goes by and I ask him if he can bring it to work with him one day, he says, sure, I tow it home, CHANGE THE PLUGS, fires right up, I quickly call him to ask what he wants for it, he says well I got 350 in it, but for you, I'll take 325, I immediately drive to his place with cash, then I tell him what I did, and he has since offered me 500 I keep saying no.. sorry to ramble on, but this is the single BEST investment I have ever made, and a lot of you guys helped me get her running as good as she does, so THANK YOU ALL. even though mine is only a two cylinder.

Tfh903 wrote:
AMEN...... Sometimes the younger ones ask me if it is a new bike, I tell them it will be 39 years old in September 2011 (4 digit serial). How many other bikes can be worth more than 5 times their original showroom sell price when they are 39 years old, and can still kick A## over a Harley twice it's size?

Mtbspeedfreak wrote:
Haha yeah I hear ya! Someone came up to me and honestly said "I didn't know they made a reproduction model of those old Kawasakis." I said, "Nope, no reproduction, this one is 35 years old!"

PS- this was halfway down the Baja Peninsula, just outside Guerrero Negro.

Linsk wrote:
I had my 80 kz 1000 for 31 years I remember when it was invisible. This past year my cousin and I decided to take his 12 year old son up to americade with us. Every were we stopped people will come up and check out my bike. everybody has a story and I like hearing them. On the fourth day my godson came up to me and asked me why nobody talks about my dads bike. So iI explained to him what a classic was. I said to him I will leave my bike to him when I go.He just smiled and said I think your bike is cool. Made me smile we have to get the younger kids interested in these bikes.

Medina wrote:
Yup, 81KZ1100 and I've owned a few bikes, this is the only one I've had strangers (four so far) say something when I was out. I'm talking total strangers, out of the blue saying something.

All my pals, neighbors, you lugs like it granted. But I'm talking the sort of thing where I'm turning left in the middle lane, a guy at the + intersection who is also turning left- hits his horn, rolls down the window and yells "HEY", then when I make eye contact trying to figure out wtf is going on, I get a thumbsup? THATS never ever happened. I'm just enough of a narcissist to really get off on that (over 50+ crowd here too) .
Interestingly enough, there is a 79 or 80 KZP still in the white I've seen, and an 82? (that red color twin to mine) that pulled up behind me tooling around town. I didn't notice the 82 till I'd made a left turn and looked back at traffic. I'm wondering if he's an inmate here?

I was told I could never sneak up on anyone on my bike.
Nothing can quite compare to the sound of a big, 4 cylinder Kawasaki, getting it’s act together and moving on down the road…
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 01 Apr 2013 08:54 #579908

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Like most of us I get a lot of “What year is it?” “Nice bike!” etc., but the compliment I remember best came from a guy who was about 40 years old on a parking lot a couple years ago. He came running over to me as I was about to get on my bike and shouted “Wow, that’s a KZ650-C1! I have a poster of a blue KZ650-C1 that I got when I was I elementary school and it is still hanging on my bedroom wall; I love that bike! I have always wanted one! Want to sell it?” :) Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 07 Apr 2013 18:21 #581056

• faffi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
Looks really good, jarrad :)

Ed, I know the answer to that question :silly:
1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 28 Apr 2013 04:07 #584394

• jarrad
  • User
Haha some good comments to look forward too...

I missed out on a set of Makuni flat slides on egay the other day they went for $280!
I'm sure someone here scored them....... But after thinking about it, I want to eventually
Use this bike as my daily ride so the The Mikuni BS34's I already have are probably better suited
To give me the smooth response I'll want.

So I pulled them down today, overall in pretty good nick! 2 split diaphrams and that's it.

A box of bits;

Soaked Emma for a while:

After a quick scrubb to get rid of the "all black" spray job some dickhead gave them:

They still need a good clean, Im deciding weather or not I'll buy a little ultrasonic cleaner.....