Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 29 Oct 2012 07:20 #556199

• les holt
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationCheck this out Jarrad. Sorry, just seen it sold :(

Les

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by les holt.

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 29 Oct 2012 23:41 #556310

• jarrad
  • jarrad's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shit!!!!! I even searched the US eBay but I was searching "Mallory" oh well I'm sure another one will come up.

On a good note I did just score a Z1000j motor, carbs and full electrics for $300 so my parts list is getting shorter and shorter...

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 30 Oct 2012 00:35 #556316

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299

jarrad wrote: not much happening on the build at the moment due to this little fella getting all of my attention...

but i am chasing a Mallory sprint magneto like the one below, i know they are not great for the road and have no advance or retard, but i want to play with an adjustable cam gear and see what i can do...

and they look fuken awesome!!!!!!!

That looks like the old hahn magneto I took off my 1327,Its still buried in a box someplace in the barn.
And yes theyre the coolest looking ignition ever,Im going to figure out some way of gutting mine out and mounting a dyna ignition in the lower part :evil:
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 30 Oct 2012 17:00 #556419

• !!a2k!!
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Wow this is a great build! I'm doing the same to my project but with 08+ r6 suspension. On the triples, did you push the kz stem out and put it in the 636??? Btw, I like the tail shorter!!! Lol
galfer brakes
jbseatz
c4-revolutions
racetech suspension
Motydesign.com lightweight batterys

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 30 Oct 2012 17:23 #556421

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
This build has serious potential. I am really liking it and sure you will get there.

Could you please detail the front end swap. A few of us on here have no clue what is needed. Some detail needed below.

Someone needs to write up a full story on this. Details...pics and the tech stuff needed to do it....maybe its you?

parts
year and models of parts
bearings
stem
etc....

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 30 Oct 2012 19:19 #556436

• jarrad
  • User
thanks guys.... I take no responsibility for spelling or grammar...

"what the people want............."

the front end swap is pretty easy I will edit this when I get home with some better pic's

parts used:

-79'Z1000 ST frame (I used the ST frame as it is a lot wider in the rear end to take the 09'R1 swinger and not rub the chain on the frame)
-05'ZX636 forks
-05'Z1000 triples
-06'GSXR radial callipers (I only used the GSXR ones as I wanted to fit 320mm rotors without using spacers in between the calliper and the calliper mounts)
-original stem bearings
-original 79'Z1000ST steering stem

05'ZX636 forks in 05'Z1000 triples, no mods needed they fit right in!

selecting the right callipers needs to be calculated for the disk size you want, or you can put a spacer between the calliper and calliper mount, but I reckon that looks shit.
make sure you are buying the rite callipers, remember to check the bolt spacing too.

here is a great little chart I used to help me along:

05'ZX636 forks with 06'GSXR callipers and Aralia 320mm rotors on Ducati sports classic hub.

problems to be wear of:

-to swap out the stems requires a bit of engineering, the 79'stem is about 26mm???? in diameter and the 05'stem was 35mm so you will need to make up a steel collar and weld it to the stem to step up the size of the 79'stem so it will fit snug in the 05'lower triple.

-you will also need to machine a collar for the top triple as again the diameter’s are different. now use all original washers/nuts and caps to put the triples on.

-the tank may be an issue on some bikes, some of the older bikes had very flat triple clamps, (the forks and head stem are all inline or close to it)
on later model bikes you will find they are offset (forks set forward and the stem set back 15-20mm or so) this can cause issues with the triples hitting the tank on full lock, I will need to massage my tank to fix this as I’m using the GPZ1100 tank.

as i said i will eddit this and add more detail and better pick tonight when i have a bit more time, bu tfor now i hope this helps.......

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 31 Oct 2012 03:00 #556499

• !!a2k!!
  • User
I will have to see what size the r6 stem size is.....I know the r6 05+ inverted will slide right into 636 triples so I might just grab some z1000 triples since I know they will work. I'll prolly stick with r6 wheels as well. The spoke wheels look great but that's alot if money and time to spend on wires lol and for the tank....I think I might cut slits in and re weld if the triples will hit. I plan on putting Guages molded into the tank to clean up the front end. bike looks great. I hope your beefing the engine up!
galfer brakes
jbseatz
c4-revolutions
racetech suspension

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 31 Oct 2012 03:59 #556500

• jarrad
  • User
sounds like a plan, tho i would be weary about cutting slits in the tripples and boving the dynamics around....

as for the engine, i had ideas for a supercharger but now im thinking some nice lumpy cams, Dyna ignition, maybe put some bigger slugs in it.... keep it more stock looking.

at least with a 190 rear and good suspension/brakes i will be able to take advantage of what power
is there, that alone should be a massive improvement even if i keep the engine stock.

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 31 Oct 2012 11:09 #556523

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797

!!a2k!! wrote: I will have to see what size the r6 stem size is.....I know the r6 05+ inverted will slide right into 636 triples so I might just grab some z1000 triples since I know they will work. I'll prolly stick with r6 wheels as well. The spoke wheels look great but that's alot if money and time to spend on wires lol and for the tank....I think I might cut slits in and re weld if the triples will hit. I plan on putting Guages molded into the tank to clean up the front end. bike looks great. I hope your beefing the engine up!

a2k you need to start a project thread man,we need pics of this stuff you speak of :whistle:.......

jarrad,
i think he is talking about cutting the tank,not the triples.

i can tell you from experience that a big sticky back tire and a stiff swingarm makes a huge difference in handling what power you already have.

whore pics of my bike,

i custom built a chrom-moly underbraced swingarm,2000 r1 rear wheel and brake system.
run it into a corner throw it at the pavement and start dialing the throttle in to exit and stand back up,ahhhhhh what fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:

Last edit: by 531blackbanshee.

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 31 Oct 2012 13:42 #556552

• !!a2k!!
  • User

jarrad wrote: sounds like a plan, tho i would be weary about cutting slits in the tripples and boving the dynamics around....

as for the engine, i had ideas for a supercharger but now im thinking some nice lumpy cams, Dyna ignition, maybe put some bigger slugs in it.... keep it more stock looking.

at least with a 190 rear and good suspension/brakes i will be able to take advantage of what power
is there, that alone should be a massive improvement even if i keep the engine stock.

Very nice, I'm sure the 120/190 wheels will be a huge improvement to handling and getting the power put down to the street. As soon as my stuntbike is redone for nxt season I'll be starting a thread for sure. Keep the pics comin!!!!!
galfer brakes
jbseatz
c4-revolutions
racetech suspension

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 01 Nov 2012 02:36 #556649

• jarrad
  • User
Banshee, that makes more sense about the tank... And I will be putting the bike together fully before paint and final mods, so it will be interesting to see how useable the power becomes. Oh and ur bike looks sweet mate!

And a2k, I agree!!! get some pics up here mate
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee

Last edit: by jarrad.

79 Z1000 ST "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL" 01 Nov 2012 14:05 #556683

• !!a2k!!
  • User
Wait...... Are we talking stunt pictures or kz pics? Hahahhaha
galfer brakes
jbseatz
c4-revolutions
racetech suspension