Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

78 KZ1000 build 20 Dec 2014 13:59 #656559

• DoctoRot
  • DoctoRot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
Thanks guys. I'd be nowhere without my friend Eric, who is a kickass welder. We have a good tag team going, i fit the pieces and prep for welding. he welds. i finish them. Seeing it fully mocked up for the first time since i tore the bike apart almost 4 years ago has really put a fire under my ass. My brother bet me that i won't have it finished by july 1st or i have to go jump in Lake Washington anytime he wants, which likely will be in the dead of winter. Gotta get it done now! :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

78 KZ1000 build 20 Dec 2014 14:35 #656561

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443
Project is looking great. Have enjoyed following your build. Love the workmanship on the gauges, stays and headlight. Keep up the good work you are just about there. Not crazy abut white frame. Not that it looks bad, but I would be too worried about road grime and up keep. Any road chips, etc., would stand out. But hey, your'e building this for you and not anyone else, so go for it. Keep up the excellent work.
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

78 KZ1000 build 22 Dec 2014 06:40 #656703

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
wow :ohmy: !

everything goes together so well,
very tasteful.

it kinda belies all the work that has been done.

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Last edit: by 531blackbanshee.

78 KZ1000 build 23 Dec 2014 07:54 #656786

• Mcgoo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Great work - it's a class act! not overstated but totally cool - love the attention to detail especially the seat pan and front end!

78 KZ1000 build 30 Dec 2014 17:10 #657405

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
Just a quick update. I was over at my buddies place using his sheet brake, its a cheapo but gets good results for small stuff. I made a couple of small aluminum brackets to hold various electrical components. I also thought i'd share a pic of a titanium kickstand he has been fiddling with for weeks. Think its for an Aprilla race bike.

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

78 KZ1000 build 31 Dec 2014 05:42 #657433

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
it's not a kickstand,it's a trickstand!

badass bracket btw

leon
1976 kz 900 x 3

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bad Kaw, DoctoRot

78 KZ1000 build 18 Jan 2015 01:12 #658952

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
My late birthday present came B) 1.75" over stock to even out the geometry and gain ride height. They are much nicer than the Works shocks I previously was planning on using. They are beefier everywhere and 6oz lighter per shock.

Because of the over length shocks I need a chain slider on the swingarm. Eric turned up this chunk of derelin and I fish-mouthed it so It uses no fasteners, as it is entrapped when the swingarm is mounted. I may need more sliders, but that can be addressed later if need be.

All the remaining tabs needed are welded on. The bungs for the exhaust hanger are welded in. A couple nasty welds have been cleaned up. The kickstand has been moved up to the bottom engine mount, the detent spring peg had to be relocated so the engine bolt could fit. The kickstand was shorted because it is now farther out from the center. I have plans for something trick to replace the stock solid one.

I then turned my attention to the rear sets. These Tarrozis were meant to be bolt-ons so they had to compromise a bit, like using the huge stock brake pivot. I also wanted to retain the use of my kickstart and the brake pedal was solidly blocking it.

I saw on a XS650 forum where people had cut a channel in the pivot to allow the pedal to be brought back out of the way temporarily. To do this you had to leave everything a bit loose to allow the pedal and pivot not to bind. I didn't want any slop in my footpegs so Eric and I came up with a solution i am very proud of. I cut a piece of 1"tube with .065" wall thickness and it made a perfect bushing for the footpeg and pivot. As a safety feature a spring loaded pin was added on the pedal so that the brake lever cannot be accidentally kicked up when riding. You simply compress the spring and pull the pedal up. Eric turned most of the parts, while grumbling about his "clapped out" lathe, and did the amazing welding as usual. I'm nearly done finishing the parts, I just need to clean up some if the holes I drilled. I also cut the threads off the footpeg mounting studs and drilled and tapped them to use some stainless countersunk washers. I also had to file down the Tarrozi bracket mounts to remove the counter sunk flange on the casting. I also took the opportunity to remove the casting marks. I have ordered folding footpegs from Fast from the Past, so I should have plenty of clearance for the kicker.

78 KZ1000 build 18 Jan 2015 08:04 #658977

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225
Sweet fabrications... Now that's what I'm talking about.... B)
1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctoRot

78 KZ1000 build 21 Feb 2015 02:21 #662210

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
The frame has been sandblasted. Im going to paint it tomorrow or sunday. The caliper brackets for the front brake are finished. I will be picking them up from the machinist on monday.

I finally started on the engine build which i have been procrastinating on. While i was back there I had the main bearing cap machined down for this APE support plate while I was at it. I have a sneaky suspicion i will want to do something crazy with the top end in a couple years.

I have the engine pretty much assembled to the point I was at before. I also detailed the engine covers a bit and polished some stuff.

I took the time to carefully debur the clutch basket with a whet stone so the clutch plates slide easily. However, the hub has seen better days, and there are indentations from the plates, i'm worried about the clutch plates snagging on them and causing chatter. should I clean this one up or get a better one off ebay?

Attachments:

78 KZ1000 build 21 Feb 2015 10:06 #662241

• NASA_Tuner
  • User
This thing is a masterpiece of learning and ingenuity. Keep it up!

78 KZ1000 build 24 Feb 2015 06:24 #662569

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
if it is any consolation i've seen em much worse.i think i would just dress it up and run it.

thats my .02 fwiw,

leon
1976 kz 900 x 3

78 KZ1000 build 24 Feb 2015 14:08 #662618

• Mcgoo
  • User
If you're selling any of the "78 parts that you don't now need I'll be getting into my "78 A2 before to long...