Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

79 KZ400 Cafe 13 Jan 2011 12:00 #421861

• treitz
  • treitz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
As I mentioned in my "new member" post, I purchased this bike about 1 month ago for $100.

It was in pieces, but reportedly ran.

I reassembled it, made it look nicer, and am now working on getting her running.

The night I got it:

Rolling with shocks. Better ride height than it was with the 9" struts that came on it. Yuck.

Got the engine in.

Chopped exhaust. Will put mufflers on if too loud.

Wrapped body in vinyl.

Tail Before:

During:

After:

Tank Before:

During:

After:

Set:

On bike, as she sits today:

Having some spark issues. Plugs are new, wires are new, next up is the coil. Going to try a different coil on Saturday to see if my is faulty, or if my wiring is faulty.

Thanks for reading!
1979 KZ400 - 2-1 Manifold - Mikuni VM34

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by treitz.

79 KZ400 Cafe 13 Jan 2011 12:07 #421865

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 301
Nice! We are watching!
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

79 KZ400 Cafe 13 Jan 2011 12:07 #421866

• kz1k
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
  • Thank you received: 0
the vinyl wrap looks great.......for some reason that skinny rear tire kills it for me, but thats just my tatse. nice bike, i like it alot.
1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

79 KZ400 Cafe 13 Jan 2011 12:37 #421875

• treitz
  • User
kz1k wrote:

the vinyl wrap looks great.......for some reason that skinny rear tire kills it for me, but thats just my tatse. nice bike, i like it alot.

I work at a sign shop so the vinyl wrap was a experiment. Turned out I like it. The beige on the orangish red looks pretty cool and vintage.

I agree with you on the rear tire. The previous owner purchased the tires, and the previous-previous owner made the tail which, IMO is a bit to wide anyway. But it makes sense because he used the stock seat pan, so he had to make it the same width as that.

Regardless, those are both things that can be changed down the road if I feel like it.

79 KZ400 Cafe 13 Jan 2011 12:55 #421886

• Nebr_Rex
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 298
treitz wrote:

Having some spark issues. Plugs are new, wires are new, next up is the coil. Going to try a different coil on Saturday to see if my is faulty, or if my wiring is faulty.

Thanks for reading!

Exhaust will be to loud.
Mine with a stainless washers welded in 2 different places is still plenty loud.

As for spark check your points as per factory settings.( should be a pdf file in the file base)
Then check your coil with a multimeter per factory specs.
Also check the power and ground wiring.
2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

79 KZ400 Cafe 13 Jan 2011 13:03 #421893

• treitz
  • User
Nebr_Rex wrote:

treitz wrote:

Thanks for reading!

Exhaust will be to loud.
Mine with a stainless washers welded in 2 different places is still plenty loud.

As for spark check your points as per factory settings.( should be a pdf file in the file base)
Then check your coil with a multimeter per factory specs.
Also check the power and ground wiring.

Thanks for the input. I will be trouble shooting it Saturday and will let you know what we find.

79 KZ400 Cafe 19 Jan 2011 08:27 #423515

• treitz
  • User
Hey guys just a quick update and a question.

Update: Found the spark issue. The points wire was disconnected so I wasn't getting any power to the points at all. Got that wired up and have spark.

Now it appears I am just not getting any fuel through my carbs so I am working on getting them all cleared out. A rebuild may be in order too.

QUESTION: First off, I was going to purchase a new chain and than decided I ought to clean mine up first in case the PO already bought a new chain. I don't know much about chains, but it is a RK50 and when I wipe the grease off it looks practically brand new. Nice and silver. Probably a new chain right?

Second... As anyone with a 400 knows, and maybe other KZ's (I don't know) there is a spring at the end of the clutch cable that (I believe) pushes the lever back into place. I have talked to a couple different people locally who say "no, the clutch pushes the clutch back into place, not a spring." so my question is whether the spring is necessary?

Thanks!

79 KZ400 Cafe 19 Jan 2011 10:30 #423541

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
treitz wrote:

...there is a spring at the end of the clutch cable that (I believe) pushes the lever back into place. I have talked to a couple different people locally who say "no, the clutch pushes the clutch back into place, not a spring." so my question is whether the spring is necessary?

Thanks!

Would keep the spring, which closes "free play" in cable between lever and perch after clutch fully engages.

If the lever isn't closed against the perch while riding along, the lever will flop back and forth against the perch.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

79 KZ400 Cafe 19 Jan 2011 10:52 #423545

• treitz
  • User
Patton wrote:
[/quote]

Would keep the spring, which closes "free play" in cable between lever and perch after clutch fully engages.

If the lever isn't closed against the perch while riding along, the lever will flop back and forth against the perch.

Good Fortune! :)[/quote]

Thank you sir. That is what I was looking for. I can't find the spring in my pile of parts which mean the PO probably lost it.

I can order one new from the local Kawa dealer for $7 or I can get one from the local salvage yard. For $7, might as well just order it.

79 KZ400 Cafe 19 Jan 2011 13:53 #423580

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
treitz wrote:

...can't find the spring in my pile of parts which mean the PO probably lost it.

I can order one new from the local Kawa dealer for $7 or I can get one from the local salvage yard. For $7, might as well just order it.

According to kawasaki.com, clutch return spring 92081-1058 has been "canceled," which usually means no longer available by ordering through a dealership.

Might want to assure they don't order a clutch spring 92081-1033 which remains "active" (hasn't been canceled).

If unfamiliar with kawasaki.com (parts diagrams, part numbers, models sharing same part, availability, etc.), here's a link for help with navigating the site and finding information.

Click > kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=13&id=376734

Good Fortune! :)

[Click on image to enhance view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

79 KZ400 Cafe 19 Jan 2011 14:00 #423582

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

79 KZ400 Cafe 02 Feb 2011 10:25 #427844

• treitz
  • User
Yeah I called my local Kaw dealer and they can no longer order that spring. Fortunately one of the parts bikes at my local junk yard had one that I was able to pull. A little rusty, but I think it will do the job.

And of course I found the one that came with the bike. It managed to get stepped on in my garage. Grrr.

Update on the bike. I cleaned the carbs out and am still not getting gas to the engine. I got it to start with the help of starter fluid but once the fumes wear off it dies.

Guess it's back to the carbs till I can get them to let the gas through.