Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 02 Jan 2014 13:18 #617096

• zed1015
  • zed1015's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1468
Tidied up the front end a bit.
Bought one of these alloy reservoirs to modify and replace the original plastic eyesore .
£15 delivered from Taiwan .
Not worth making one myself for that price as it comes with a screw cap and the internal diaphragm etc.

An adaptor was machined up to push into the master cylinder and after turning the hose barb off the new res it was threaded and screwed on the adaptor with a copper washer and lock nut inside for good measure.

Another job Done.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 02 Jan 2014 19:28 #617144

• Drooz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I just tuned in and read all 14 pages. What can I say that hasn't already been said...

:blink: :blink:

A wonderfully well thought out and executed project Sir! Amazing attention to detail.

If you have a moment, I have a couple of questions:

1) Where do you intend to ride this machine? Will it be street only, or will it see some track time as well?

2) Can you tell me what the wheelbase is now with the SRAD swingarm and the zx10r front end?
:)

Thanks. :)

I'm entering into a project that will have a similar suspension set up and I'm attempting to construct it to be as at home on the track as it is on the street. B) My "home" track is quite twisty with lots of turns and a few short straights. Horsepower is important but handling the curves is paramount where I do my track time. :P

I love what you've done with the frame and the innovations you've incorporated into the whole bike from axle to axle. Remarkable. B)

Amazing work! B) I'm sticking around. :woohoo:
'77 kz1000 (zx10r) Modified/Street
'81 GPz550 "TrackBike"
'05 zx10r Retro/Mod Sportbike 4 SALE!!
'02 zrx1200r Lightly Modified Street SOLD!!
'74 h2b 750 (FZ600) "Mongrel" 2 Stroke SOLD!!

"Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished.

Kawasaki - Let The Good Times Roll!

Mississauga, Ontario. CANADA

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 03 Jan 2014 05:50 #617185

• zed1015
  • User

Drooz wrote:

1) Where do you intend to ride this machine? Will it be street only, or will it see some track time as well?

2) Can you tell me what the wheelbase is now with the SRAD swingarm and the zx10r front end?

Hi. The plan was for daytime street use only, I live in the country and the local roads are as good as any track.
It will be a sunny days back lane scratcher and bike meet posing machine with a few bike rallies and custom shows thrown in to hopefully add to my trophy collection.

The wheel base is between 57 and 58 inches depending on chain adjustment.
That's about an inch shorter than a std Z9 and 4 inch shorter than my Drouin Z1000 with modern running gear but this latest project does use the remains of a 750 zephyr frame which is listed as 57 inch wheelbase.
The Gixxer 1000 swinger is longer than the zeph's and the zx10 forks have less offset so the centre of mass sits a couple of inch further forward as is modern day practice with the latest sports machines.
The longer swingarm and shorter offset makes for much improved handling with the old Zed frames if that's what you are using as a base,
My Wakisaki Z1R uses ZXR750H running gear and the handling is on par with the 90's sports bikes.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bad Kaw

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 03 Jan 2014 09:48 #617206

• Drooz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16

zed1015 wrote:

Drooz wrote:

Hi. The plan was for daytime street use only, I live in the country and the local roads are as good as any track.
It will be a sunny days back lane scratcher and bike meet posing machine with a few bike rallies and custom shows thrown in to hopefully add to my trophy collection.

The wheel base is between 57 and 58 inches depending on chain adjustment.
That's about an inch shorter than a std Z9 and 4 inch shorter than my Drouin Z1000 with modern running gear but this latest project does use the remains of a 750 zephyr frame which is listed as 57 inch wheelbase.
The Gixxer 1000 swinger is longer than the zeph's and the zx10 forks have less offset so the centre of mass sits a couple of inch further forward as is modern day practice with the latest sports machines.
The longer swingarm and shorter offset makes for much improved handling with the old Zed frames if that's what you are using as a base,
My Wakisaki Z1R uses ZXR750H running gear and the handling is on par with the 90's sports bikes.

Thanks for the response! :)

That's pretty much what I expected! I have a '77 KZ1000 with upgrades to everything, and it too handles like a dream in the turns! It has a stock length swing arm though, so with the new project, I don't want to "slow it down" too much with a lengthened wheelbase. I'm working on keeping the geometry as close to my original bike as possible. Appreciate the feedback! B)

It's the same bike as my avatar. At the track in 2012 with my brother and some friends:

Steady On! :cheer:
'77 kz1000 (zx10r) Modified/Street
'81 GPz550 "TrackBike"
'05 zx10r Retro/Mod Sportbike 4 SALE!!
'02 zrx1200r Lightly Modified Street SOLD!!
'74 h2b 750 (FZ600) "Mongrel" 2 Stroke SOLD!!

"Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished.

Kawasaki - Let The Good Times Roll!

Mississauga, Ontario. CANADA

Last edit: by Drooz.

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 03 Jan 2014 12:23 #617221

• tomsbadkz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 42
are you using the 83-84 gpz1100 head?
1977 kz1327
Cavanaugh Head 38.6/33
38mm Flatslides
MRE racecut trans
300mm rear tire
Web Cams 435/465

1984 GPZ1100
Cavanaugh Head
1170cc
Web 415 cams
RC Hp Inj.
Bored throttle bodies

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 13 Jan 2014 10:49 #618436

• zed1015
  • User
After fitting the race alt I now needed a battery large enough to power the dyna ignition and coils.
Electrex say their alt needs a minimum 8 amp battery but there's no acid or gell battery that size near small enough to fit the space in the tail where the little alarm battery was going to go.
After much searching I bit the bullet and bought this 9 amp Shoria lithium battery and charger.

It's tiny and weighs nothing compared to the std zed item .

You can use a normal charger but all mine are optimates with the desulphation mode which will fry the shoria so I bought the matching charger which plugs in to the batterys charging port

Plenty of room in there now . Just need to make a bracket,find somewhere for the reg/rec and then I can start on the wiring.

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 13 Jan 2014 10:56 #618439

• zed1015
  • User

tomsbadkz wrote: are you using the 83-84 gpz1100 head?

No. I do have one for my 1428 engine but this one is using a ported z900 which will be plenty good enough for the 1015cc capacity.

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 17 Jan 2014 12:01 #618974

• zed1015
  • User
Battery tray made .

And fitted

Plus the reg/rec and horn now takes the place or the CDI's under the tank.

Just need to make mounts for the Dyna coils and I can start on the wiring.

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 19 Jan 2014 09:21 #619159

• zed1015
  • User
Busy day today

Mounts for Dyna coils done

And fitted

Made a guide for the clutch cable to stop it rubbing on the head

Re-jigged the oil cooler fittings so that the oil pipes now route between the inlet rubbers and the carbs can easily be removed without disturbing them

And then made a fitting for the tank breather hose

Also re-done the subframe struts in steel tube with brazed in threaded ends as I've gone off the ally ones I made.
The steel ones are as strong but lighter and are going to be powder coated black along with the subframe to blend in with the main loop and give some contrast against the alloy seat etc.

As it stands so far.

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 19 Jan 2014 10:19 #619166

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
Amazing.
Absolutely amazing. design, craftsmanship, thinking, end result. The whole thread is amazing.
I wish it were a movie or a documentary program.
Wow !
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 20 Jan 2014 07:38 #619269

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
gettin closer!

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 25 Jan 2014 05:15 #619960

• zed1015
  • User
Finally figured out a mount for a side stand.
1/2" section alloy angle whittled into an appropriate shape.
Bolted to the lower engine mount and tied in to the sprocket cover.

Mixture of bent and modified Buell XB and SRAD side stand and Zed spring bolts to the underneath.

Not much to do now :D