Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Just about rideable... 22 Jun 2010 22:09 #377677

• Kitten Tooth
  • Kitten Tooth's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
So, i removed the left side engine cover on my 81' KZ1000LTD. I was told that the 3 bolts that held the starter clutch on could turn loose and the starter clutch would rattle like hell. I drained the oil from the motor, put the bike on its side stand and used my new puller (a bolt that was made to fit the magnetic flywheel to pop it off). With a 19mm socket I wrenched on it with all my might. My 13 year old friend That was hanging around just didn't have the strength the stop the bike from rolling forward:D So i had to borrow an impact wrench from my grandpa. Before i started Doing this thing with the starter clutch, i was doing test runs on my dad's KZ400 after some fine tuning about 2 days ago. I needed a kickstand spring because the 400 didn't have one. I pulled mine off of my KZ1000. it didn't fit and i never got around to putting it back on. While i was packing up my tools, i hadn't realized that while i was wrenching and cranking on that puller bolt a little bit ago, the bike slowly rolled forward to where the stand was straight up and down and it was balancing. I bumped my bike while i walked by with my socket set in my hand and the bike began to roll off the stand.. The bike slammed down on the ground, luckily, it didn't lean down on the puller bolt and screw up that 300 dollar flywheel. So i ran over and pulled the bike back up by the forks and put the stand down. I went in for the day, defeated and bummed out. The next day (which was totally awesome compared the the day before) i got the impact wrench and hooked it up to my 125 LBS air tank. I held in the trigger for like 3 seconds and it all popped apart no problem. The allen wrench bolts on the starter clutch weren't even finger tight. I pulled one out and the threads are worn down towards the heads of the bolts. So, im going to order some genuine Kawasaki bolts rather than messing with ones from Tractor Supply. I heard that the ones from Tractor Supply sheer off because they're made of weaker metal than the genuine ones. Im also going to order that metal band that holds in the battery and the brackets that bolt the airbox to the frame. I have My carburetors on my workbench sitting there, sparkly clean and ready for installation. Im going to Bondo my gastank and put on a few coats of primer and gloss black paint and put on a checker board decal under some clear coat. Should look good. Ill post pics and videos of my bike when its drivable:)

Thanks for all the help so far,
KT
1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Just about rideable... 22 Jun 2010 22:13 #377679

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

Just about rideable... 22 Jun 2010 23:25 #377694

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
  • Thank you received: 19
You are off to an excellent start to countless successes and failures of judgement that will help you learn and grow. Good job on correctly troubleshooting your problem. You should have her back together in no time ;)
FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Just about rideable... 22 Jun 2010 23:53 #377696

• Kitten Tooth
  • Kitten Tooth's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
Thanks guys. Like i said, ill post pics as soon as its done. Shouldn't be long now. Im going to clean up some of the wiring too. Some bare wires and broken/melted clips. Everything works right but i just don't like knowing that theres nastiness in the harness.. I need to order a new front tires as well. Ill keep you guys posted.
1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

• Page: