Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

76 KZ900 project 15 Jun 2010 11:07 #375884

• bhardy501
  • bhardy501's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I got my 76 KZ900 home and have been inventorying everything I am gonna need for it. The list is long but doable. My first of many questions is about cleaning the engine. It is supposed to be a good engine with good compression and the tranny is supposed to be good. They carbs are off of it right now. I want to go on and remove the engine because I am going to strip it to the bare frame and paint or powder coat the frame and swingarm. I want to clean the engine up. What is the best way to clean up a grungy complete engine. I was thinking about sealing off the intake and exhaust holes and using a cleaner of some kind and a brush then rinse it off. Will the soda blaster that is listed in the tools section clean off the weathered aluminum so I can start polishing it up. I am not going for a mirror finish just clean and shiny. Any suggestions on how to acomplish this? I dont want to get any water inside the engine while cleaning it up. Also if I drain the oil out of it would it hurt to turn the engine upside down to clean the bottom up. I will post some pics soon.
1980 KZ1000B LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

76 KZ900 project 21 Jun 2010 06:03 #377220

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
If u still have the motor in, spray the whole thing with degreaser, i just use Simple green. then pressure wash it or just the hose.
u can turn the motor upside down without harm.
I would do a compression test and leakdown test yourself,before u do anything.
Its "supposed" to have this or that, wont be very comforting latter, if it doesnt work right.
Check EVERYTHING you can before u take anything apart.
All of the electrical, and get it running 1st. then u can get a plan together.
Hope this helps
Mark
PS. pic's please.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by mark1122.
  • Page: