Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

pulling out my hair 14 Apr 2010 22:11 #360764

• sdharger
  • sdharger's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
ok a am building a bobber/chopper out of my 1980 kz750e i have everything done ..so i think...hardtailed it,painted frame,made a rear fender,sissy bar,freash paint on fender/cas tank .got some very nice half ape hangers painted every litle ting needed like the brake fluid box i have done every thing i can in my price range to make it fit my style ...heres why i am pullying out my hair i am useing the bare bones wire diagrame this is what i know is right the alt and started ign kill switch headlight and tail light is working fine on the other hand i am getting no fire from my plugs. on the diagram i have it says there ae 4 wires going from the crank pick up to the ignighter and 3 wires going out 2 wires go to the coils green and red then it says there is a black wire with strip going through the ignighter one should run to my kill between the wires that run from my coils to my start switch and on the other side of my ignighter it should run to my ground for my lights but there is only 1 wire thats black with strip comming out my ignighter i have tried splicing it to run bolth but it blows my fuse ever time ..i think i have tried every thing. the motor will turn over all day but still no fire and i dont know what to do ............please if anyone could help please help ...and if you live in M.O i would be more then happy to bring it to you for some advise

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

pulling out my hair 14 Apr 2010 22:39 #360765

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
On the z1's,Kz900's,Kz1000's,and Kz1100's the RED wire going to the ignition coils(it's spliced to go to both)comes from the run/stop switch on the right handle bar.

This RED wire connects to a RED/YELLOW wire in the switch area.I'd check for voltage in and out of the switch.

The power source for the switch is inside the headlight housing, so you have some electrical checking to do.

Don't forget if your bike has the clutch interlock switch on the clutch lever to jumper past it unless you want to squeeze the lever to turn the engine over(I'm not sure when Kawasaki added it to the street bikes,My 1977 Kz100 did not have it , but my 1982 GPz1100 B2 has it).
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

pulling out my hair 14 Apr 2010 22:47 #360767

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Some places to check too:

Ohm Checking Pickup(Pulsing) Coils

The pickup coils on the Kawasaki’s with the factory supplied electronic ignition can sometimes fail or become intermittent due to heat and vibration.

1.Trace back from where the pick up coils are mounted,(under a right side CD sized cover) locate and disconnect a small 4 pin connector. Using a multi-meter set on OHMS and range of X 100 check between the BLUE and BLACK wires(#1 and #4 sparkplug wires) for between 360- 540 OHMS.

2.For #2 and #3 sparkplugs the wire colors will be YELLOW and RED, again 360-540 OHMS.

3.If the pickup coils are suspect of failing due to heat, they can be stressed using a hair dryer without the need of the engine running.

4.A replacement set of pickup coils might be obtained from a dealer who serviced the police Kawasaki’s.

5. If replacement pickup coils are not available, your next choice would be to order a Dyna “S” electronic ignition system from www.z1enterprises.com It replaces the IC igniter with a smaller module located where the mechanical ignition advancer was mounted.

6.Check the small 4 pin connector that the pickup coils connect to for corrosion/loose pins too.

Ignition Coil Primary And Secondary Wiring

Ignition coils on the 80’s Kz1000,Kz1100’s and Gpz1100’s are wired the same, that is as you sit on the bike, the LEFT ignition coil primary(small wires) are two wires, RED and BLACK. The secondary (or sparkplug wires) got to #1 and #4 sparkplugs.

For the RIGHT ignition coil, the primary wires, again are two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary going to #2 and #3.

The RED wire gets it’s voltage from the run/stop switch on the right handlebar switch pod.

The BLACK and GREEN wires connect to the IC Igniter(if the bike has the Kawasaki supplied electronic ignition) it actually gives the coils their grounds to fire the sparkplugs.

Primary(small wires) side of the coils will read between 1.8 to 3.0 ohms.

Secondary(sparkplug wire ports)side of the coil will read between 10.4K to 15.6K ohms.

Your 750 may have the coil wiring backwards to what the bigger 4's have, so keep that in mind.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

pulling out my hair 14 Apr 2010 23:33 #360770

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Are you using the diagram i drew for you in the mattylight thread?

Here it is again.
There are 8 wires on the igniter: 4 from the crank. 1 to each coil (a black and a green). 1 power wire (yel/red). and 1 ground (blk/yel).
Each coil has two wires. one from each gets power. One from each goes to the igniter.
Attachments:

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: