• Page:

TOPIC:

home made drag pipes 14 Apr 2010 17:47 #360693

• irish mike
  • irish mike's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 79 kz 650 b3 rat rod
  • Thank you received: 0
anybody ever made their own drag pipes-i ruined one of my jc whitney dunstal mufflers[sounded like a wasp farting in a bucket]so i removed 1 of the metal baffles in each one and cut the ends off [sounded great and ran like a bat out of hell]came back after a ride on the freeway and blew all the baffles out [now it sounds too loud and bottom end power is suffering -i saw some home made drag pipes on a cb 500 they looked great and sounded great -what pipe materiAl should i use-and what paint to paint them black i have my headders wrapped-just waiting on some ideas on what type of piping to use and how long is a good length for a kz650 thanks in advance mike.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

home made drag pipes 14 Apr 2010 18:45 #360711

• Bad Dad
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
irish mike wrote:

I saw some home made drag pipes on a cb 500, they looked great and sounded great - what pipe material should i use

Some of the home grown chopper builders are using conduit bought at Home Depot or Lowes. It's sold as like fence post or something, and I would look for 1.5"-1.75" diameter. You can also try to see if your local muffler shop will sell you some bulk, or maybe even scrap pieces.

And what paint to paint them black - I hear that some of the heat resistant paints peel off after a few days?

VHT Header paint... and get used to re-painting them from time to time, or if your gonna wrap them, just wrap them first, then paint the wrap.

I have my headders wrapped-just waiting on some ideas on what type of piping to use and how long is a good length for a kz650 thanks in advance mike...

As far as length, I think it's "what ever looks good".
76 KZ900LTD
82 GPz750R1
01 VULCAN 800A-CHOPPED
76 IRONHEAD-CHOPPED
77 RD 400 Cafe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Bad Dad.
  • Page: