Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

It's been a while 02 Mar 2010 11:22 #350883

• uk_kev
  • uk_kev's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys, it has been a while since I visited these parts, so long in fact that I was shocked my login details still worked!:woohoo:

So as I am here, and at the risk of boring you all, I thought I would share with you my new Z1000 project...

Just lately I have really fealt like getting another Zed, it had been a while since i sold my red Z1000, some of you may remember it...

and I was really feeling the need for another one. Well over the weekend I found this out in web land, not e-bay, but just on the web....

And arranged to have a look on Wednesday this week, well the weather was great today, so I moved the whole thing forward a couple of days, and as of right now, my new Z1000 is sitting in the back of my van. :D

The damp winter has got to the bike a little, but then that helped me get the price down a fair bit, which is nice.

So let me tell you some thing about the bike, and then I will load a few pictures.
It is a genuine UK bike, and as unlikely as this sounds, it was sold way back in 1980, from a Kawasaki garage that was just 6 doors away from my front door! how freaky is that:) It has only had two owners, and has done just 35K.

Kev..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It's been a while 02 Mar 2010 11:24 #350884

• uk_kev
  • User
Ok then as of today.......

The bike is now out of the van and sitting in my local garage, I have asked them to give it all a once over, as I intend to run it as it is this summer, before doing any major work, if at all possible.

So after work I dropped by, to ask if they wanted me to order any bits from zpower, before they start looking at the bike. But as I was there, they had to play, so off with the tank, on with a remote fuel cell, connect up a set of jump leads direct to the battery cables (no battery fitted yet) and it burst into life, although the carbs were leaking badly.
The only thing that never worked was the horn, and the high beam indicator bulb.

And it sounded great, no rattles from the clutch or cam chain, and it never even smoked that bad on start up, so things is looking pretty good right now, I hope my run of luck continues...

It's been a while 02 Mar 2010 11:35 #350886

• Kraz1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30
Just looking quickly at your photo's, you'll see the Red bike has the '77 and later "Stamped" passenger peg bracket, and your Blue bike has the '76 and earlier "Tube" bracket. So what year does the title say?

It's been a while 02 Mar 2010 11:48 #350890

• Link14
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Wow, nice looking bike. Wish I was smart enough to get one that ran when I bought it. Hope your luck continues.

It's been a while 02 Mar 2010 11:53 #350891

• uk_kev
  • User
My red bike was an American built KZ1000-A2, made in 1978. The new blue one is a May 1980 Z1000-A4 Mk2, and that is how the frame is supposed to be for these models, I know it is backwards tech, but there you are. :lol:

K.

It's been a while 02 Mar 2010 12:28 #350894

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
welcome back!
nice score,keep us posted.
my 1980 z1r has the same tube's for the passenger peg mounts.

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:

It's been a while 02 Mar 2010 12:54 #350899

• Kraz1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30
I had to go back and look myself, as I didn't remember it that way... Here's Tony's MKII, and I always did think the Tube Mounts were easier on the eyes.:)
Attachments:

It's been a while 03 Mar 2010 00:58 #350968

• z650c3
  • User
Nice one Kev . I think youre right in getting it back on the road for the summer and then the next winter project if you take the notion .

Enjoy

C3
1979 z650 c3 first registered in 1981
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCR
Northern Ireland

It's been a while 03 Mar 2010 13:09 #351042

• uk_kev
  • User
Right, I have started to order some service items from around the globe, carb kits, cables etc, I would like to get the bike road worthy for Kawasaki day at the Ace cafe in London in April:S

It's been a while 03 Mar 2010 14:17 #351060

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
ok kev,i am thinking that you should be the kzrider ambassador at Kawasaki day at the Ace cafe in London in april.which means you will be in charge of getting as many pictures as possible and posting them for all of us to enjoy :P ,:woohoo: .
someone has to look out for us heathens.

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

It's been a while 03 Mar 2010 14:43 #351066

• Bad Dad
  • User
531blackbanshee wrote:

ok kev,i am thinking that you should be the kzrider ambassador at Kawasaki day at the Ace cafe in London in april.which means you will be in charge of getting as many pictures as possible and posting them for all of us to enjoy :P ,:woohoo: .
someone has to look out for us heathens.

leon

I second that... picture's for sure!

I'm in Alaska, and won't be riding for two more months... so I live through the winter months, with the help from my "friends"! Charge the camera battery, and clear the memory card... :)
76 KZ900LTD
82 GPz750R1
01 VULCAN 800A-CHOPPED
76 IRONHEAD-CHOPPED
77 RD 400 Cafe

It's been a while 04 Mar 2010 08:48 #351224

• uk_kev
  • User
You know I will take pictures, you only have to look at my signature line to see that... ;)