Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

'80 KZ440 ltd -- first ride 27 Jan 2010 19:24 #345005

• AnxiousCowboy
  • AnxiousCowboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've had this bike about two years now, this first half of its life was spent unregistered and I just drove it around the back-roads in upstate NY to learn how to ride. I've been wanting a motorcycle for awhile now. I saw it on the side of the road for sale and bought it. It was in decent condition but needed some maintenance. I moved to Queens, ny and let it sit on the street for too long and finally got it in the shop to get it smoothed out. I got the carbs cleaned, new master cylinder, new chain/sprocket, general tuneup, new battery, etc. Now I hope any future maintenance can be done by myself now that I moved to Brooklyn and have a lot more room to myself (and I want to learn to work on a fuckin bike).

Anyway, I see some people on the net modding their KZs and there's a lot of nice ones out there. I don't want to do anything crazy like make it a hardtail or anything, but I'd eventually like to get the mac 2-1 pipes on it when I get the cash. I also want to paint the engine and perhaps the gas tank. I was also thinking it would look pretty cool with a larger style headlight (maybe with the visor) but I haven't found any kind of write ups on this, guess it's just a matter of finding something that fits?... Maybe some new bars... Here are some pics of the bike. Let me know what you guys think, what would you do?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'80 KZ440 ltd -- first ride 27 Jan 2010 19:25 #345006

• AnxiousCowboy
  • User
another pic
Attachments:

'80 KZ440 ltd -- first ride 27 Jan 2010 19:26 #345007

• AnxiousCowboy
  • User
Also would like to get some saddlebags...
Attachments:

'80 KZ440 ltd -- first ride 27 Jan 2010 20:46 #345025

• Link14
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Nice looking bike. I had a '79 kz400 Ltd very similar. Great bike to learn general maintenance on, especially if you have the factory manual. Never knew how good I had it with the twin until I started having to mess with under bucket shims!

I'm a bad person to ask about mods. First, I love Ltd's (rare around here) and second I love stock bikes. There are fewer and fewer on the road every year.

That being said, it's your bike so have fun with it!

'80 KZ440 ltd -- first ride 27 Jan 2010 21:53 #345026

• AnxiousCowboy
  • User
I respect the original look, I just want to make this more "mine" though if you know what I meann. I don't want to mod it up much, just spruce it up ;) Mainly thinking about some paint at this point on maybe the engine and wheels to get em black

Last edit: by AnxiousCowboy.
  • Page: