Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1983 KZ750 N2 running better / video 07 Dec 2009 22:13 #338017

• sakiguy
  • sakiguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi guys. Finally cleaned the carbs, got them back on, etc. Painted a few parts here and there, and some general detailing. Also installed new spark plugs, new k&n air filter, recharged battery, new brake fluid(bled) rear brakes(had a spongy feel to it when I first got the bike), added inline fuel filter, and did some other stuff here and there. She looks cleaner and runs better at idle.

She sure sounds better. When I first got the bike she would only idle with the choke on, and run with the choke on as well. It would also sound pretty rough. If you release the choke she would usually just die unless I held the throttle in. I think cleaning the carbs solved that issue since I did notice that a couple of the pilot jets were clogged. Needless to say she'll start right up without the choke on now.

I think I got the idle dialed in but I might have to make another adjustment. Also going to sync the carbs too, haven't done that yet. She's non-op registered right now since I knew it would be a while before I got it running correctly, so I haven't test rode it yet.

She sounds good to me but perhaps you guys will point out some stuff that might not be right with the idle. I do not have a mechanic's ear. I'm surprised this bike has a deep throaty sound to it. I really like the sound of these stock pipes! Note that the stock baffles are on. Thanks to those on this forum for helping me out with tips, pointers, etc. Hopefully she'll be safe and ride ready come April, and for a little winter riding here and there once things warm up a bit.

Some pics, and I have a youtube video of my bike running at idle as well.

When the carbs were off, just put on the engine guards I repainted with fancy rustoleum paint at walmart :silly: :
1983 KZ750 N2 Shaft

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by sakiguy.

1983 KZ750 N2 running better / video 08 Dec 2009 03:46 #338034

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 304
I think you got yourself a keeper :)
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

1983 KZ750 N2 running better / video 08 Dec 2009 06:27 #338051

• Locozuna
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Beautiful job! Good on ya to keep her mostly stock too. Hard to tell onb a video if she is running right but I'm not sold on the sound. Start her from cold and see if all the header pipes get hot at the same time. Maybe it's me and maybe it's the video but I think it should sound smoother. While not a big cruiser guy the Spectre is one of my favorite C bikes. Yours is very nice. GLUCK!
KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

1983 KZ750 N2 running better / video 08 Dec 2009 10:51 #338103

• sakiguy
  • sakiguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Maybe the carb sync will smooth things out a bit, going to have to do that next.
1983 KZ750 N2 Shaft

• Page: