Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Getmoresoon's '74 KZ400 Restoration Project 20 Jul 2009 18:48 #308329

• getmoresoon
  • getmoresoon's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Guess I'll start my own storyline here with the rest of you folks!

So, what I'm starting with is a 1974 KZ400. The price was certainly right @ $75 CAD! It hasn't been on the road in well over 20 years per the last owner, for obvious reasons (see pics). Not quite as pristine as you folks south of the salt belt are used to, but generally I think fairly serviceable. It looks to have been kept out of the elements largely, tho significant sun fade on the paint! I plan to keep everything as close to stock on this one as I can (I'll leave the customization to the NEXT project! :P )

Things I know have to be done to get it at least running:
- Engine (probably a new one, but I haven't totally given up on the existing being possibly serviceable).
- Fork rebuild. I think the fork seals are gone.. at the very least she has to get the oil changed out. The Dust boots ARE cracked and rotted, so a bit of work here. At least the fork tubes are not pitted, so I think the metal bits are all fine.
- Brakes. Master cylinder probably needs a rebuild as it looks ugly. But maybe a good cleaning is all we need here too. Crossing my fingers caliper isn't seized.. if so, rebuild ho! Have to check the front pads and rear shoes too... I think the drum/shoes might actually still be fine, as it's not at the wear limit, and the rear brake slowed her nicely as I coasted down the hill to my garage :woohoo:
- Fuel Tank. Oh yeah, lots of inside rust to deal with. But fortunately I've not found any holes or weak spots... I may luck out here with a good solid cleaning and a can of POR15! Dents are another issue.. any good advise on minimizing them? (a bit of bondo on the final before the inevitable repaint won't make me cry too much!)
- Carb Rebuild. I've received the carbs in a box. Fully disassembled. But all the parts are in bottles, and I'm pretty sure they are all there! I hope they were not re-jetted for the 2-into-1 aftermarket exhaust hanging on there, as I plan on finding a stock set of pipes.
- Seat recover. Guess what's last on the replacement list :-)

The only other piece I know I'm missing is the Centerstand! Looks like the exhaust would not clear the stand, so the 1st owner removed it.

Otherwise, the electrical looks good and generally unchopped. Frame is good, wheels straight and corrosion free. All the plastic covers are good, with only one small crack to deal with. And minor rust on the chrome... no deep pitting.

Pics in next post!
2010 Honda CBF600SA, 1986 Kawasaki Concours, 1975 KZ400
and simply too many other projects to count!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Getmoresoon's '74 KZ400 Restoration Project 20 Jul 2009 18:51 #308330

• getmoresoon
  • getmoresoon's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Probably not dial-up friendly, sorry folks!

Getmoresoon
2010 Honda CBF600SA, 1986 Kawasaki Concours, 1975 KZ400
and simply too many other projects to count!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: