• Page:

TOPIC:

1979 kz650 restoration 01 Jul 2009 18:55 #303728

• vtdirt
  • vtdirt's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey,
New to restorations, but have ridden and fixed smaller dirtbikes for a few years. This item came up to me and I was wondering if someone with more experience could tell me if this project is worth my time, or if Im going to beat my brains out trying to get it done. This bike does not start now, but ran when it was barned ten years ago. 31000 original miles. I would, of course, begin by buying a repair manual.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by vtdirt.

1979 kz650 restoration 01 Jul 2009 18:59 #303729

• vtdirt
  • User
can post more images
Attachments:

1979 kz650 restoration 01 Jul 2009 19:20 #303736

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225
"could tell me if this project is worth my time"...

Of course it's worth it.... ;)
That's what most of us are all about, taking a beaten up old girl (KZ) and turning her into the raving beauty she once was and will be once again...

"if Im going to beat my brains out trying to get it done."
Oh hell ya, don't think or believe for one moment it's going to be a breeze or it's going to be cheap where you can through in gas, plugs and oil and ride her away with no issues... Just ain't going to happen bud....

Before doing anything, figure out what you want out of her, what your budget, time, fabrication skills/tools are etc... and then decide what you want to do...

If nothing else, study the manual, break her down and see just what is wrong with her... That part costs nada but time spent...

Seriously though, just getting an old girl running, with tires, carb re-build kits, new exhaust (rusted in image), oil and gaskets, you can probably get away with about a grand or so...

Of course this is assuming she isn't seized up, has destroyed pistons, twisted crank, damaged tranny etc...

Or go crazy like some of us had... Ok me and spend you daughters college fund... Oops, my bad.... :blush: Ah hell, she didn't want to go anyways... :laugh:

OMR
1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

1979 kz650 restoration 01 Jul 2009 20:02 #303754

• gane
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Vtdirt, Not to be harsh, But a Sweet kz650 Might sell for 2 grand, at a glance I'd guess I see over a gwhiz in parts and a hunert hours of labor. Zed's are a labor of love. like classic/muscle cars. Builders seldom break even. As a project, Great.. to make a buck, Sorry. just my 2 cents G
[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

1979 kz650 restoration 01 Jul 2009 20:08 #303758

• vtdirt
  • User
Hey,
Thanks for the quick replies, I am not looking for a quick buck, or even a quick project, but I am looking for something that will be nice if I put some cash into it. I am also looking to not fall to far behind on my student loans. I am just asking because I can get this bike for much under $500, and I thought I would ask some people who would know if its worth it.

• Page: