Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1982 KZ305 CSR (Alot of pics) 23 Apr 2009 14:17 #284451

• GRider
  • GRider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, I've introduced myself in the newbie forum, I've started a thread in the engine tech forum with all my questions... And now I'm going to start a thread here to document my progress. The thing is, this shouldn't be a "project." The bike I agreed to had "6,000 miles, perfect condition." ... yeah right. The bike was purchased brand new in 1986. The original owner had the bike for 22 years. Then the bike quickly jumped around in order to find me. It was then sold to a guy in May of 2008, that guy traded the bike in lieu of a loan payment only 2 months later. The 3rd owner was apparently very meticulous, as was the original owner. The 3rd owner was a "bike-guy" and decided he would gift the bike to his son this last February. His son (4th owner) apparently is NOT a "bike-guy" because within a month he promptly traded it to a friend for computer parts after riding the bike only once. Now the previous owner to me (5th owner) is definitely NOT a "bike-guy" either. He realized he made a mistake trading for the bike when it became apparent he was deathly afraid to go over 30mph. So, he promptly traded the bike to me (6th owner) for my Xbox video game system... BUT! not before preforming a "tune-up." The tune up consisted of him tearing into the motor, replacing the starter, cam-chain tensioner, plugs, points, gaskets, and oil change the day before I was supposed to pick the bike up. Now the fun part... He is not sure if he timed it right, he cheaped on the gaskets and made his own out of cork board (which are leaking badly), and forgot to put oil in before going for the "post tune-up ride." He didn't get far (~1/4 mile round trip.) The bike starts, runs, and rides, but makes a horrible "clacking" noise. Similar to a very bad "lifter tap" on a car. It also feels like it has no power and struggles very hard after 5k rpm. I picked up a parts which I'm pretty sure is off a GPZ305 sport bike. I tore it open and everything looks good to me. I plan on using the camshaft, pistons, and cylinders from the GPZ motor. I'm hoping this bumps my compression and I'm hoping the cam is a bit more aggressive. The bike will be all black w/ metal flake and de-badged in the future. I would like to clear or black out the turn signal lenses as well... More to come with future paychecks...

1982 Kawasaki KX305 CSR
26,468 Miles
Fairly Clean condition
Parts motor is from an unknown GPZ305

First order of business... Remove big stupid looking rack:

Rack GONE! Much better:

The parts motor looked as if it had been pulled from a swamp... but the internals all look good:

Stay tuned for updates.
1997 Subaru Impreza AWD - Rally?
1982 Kawasaki 305 CSR -> 305csr.blogspot.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by GRider.

1982 KZ305 CSR (Alot of pics) 23 Apr 2009 14:57 #284484

• Tyler
  • User
  • Thank you received: 92
you'll find those small twins are pretty much bullet proof, well as long as they have oil in them anyway. The little gpz's were a blast to ride. I think the gpz had a slightly different cam then the KZ and could turn a few more revs.

Should be fun little bike when your done. And cheap as hell to drive.
If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

1982 KZ305 CSR (Alot of pics) 23 Apr 2009 16:20 #284502

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
  • Thank you received: 11
Pretty clean little bike.

You might want to check that the output shafts match while you have it apart.

My dad just picked up a 500 or 550 parallel twin motor from a chain drive bike(GPZ I think) to replace a seriously abused parallel twin in a belt drive Vulcan. He had the swap the output shafts as they where different sizes.

Everything else is the same outside, 'cept like as been stated here I think the cams are different and such. Little more power from the GPZ motor.
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread

1982 KZ305 CSR (Alot of pics) 05 May 2009 13:45 #288184

• GRider
  • GRider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
MAJOR UPDATES!! I have started disassembly and threw on some new paint to cover up that awful purple. I've already typed everything up on my "build blog" so details and pics can be found at:

www.305csr.blogspot.com

Cliffs:

Top end is fine, bronzing throughout the head and into the bottom end tells me it got a little hot during its ride with no oil... but no apparent damage. Again full write-up and pictures can be found at the address above. Thanks for the support guys.
1997 Subaru Impreza AWD - Rally?
1982 Kawasaki 305 CSR -> 305csr.blogspot.com

• Page: