Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

It WAS done, now needs alot more work im afraid.. 20 Apr 2009 11:13 #283351

• violentvintagecycles
  • violentvintagecycles's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Well here it is! Wish i could say its all running as good as she looks.. Had it going in the fall, drove it around a bit, was fine but the carbs needed to be rebuilt, not just the cleaning i did, every o-ring was just about disintegrated. Not long after i had to move, lost my garage so it had to go into the girlfriends shed over the winter. Took it out of the shed last weekend, started, took it out for about a mile before it ran out of gas. (Maybe) Pushed it back. Started right up again. It was low, got gas, started back up again, ran fine while it was sitting there. Took it back out for a ride,worked fine for a little bit, then again acts like its out of gas. Alright, i figure it sat, i got crap for gas and sucked up every piece of rust in the tank, and i did. So i figure new filter, this time ill spend my last dime get the carb kits if im gonna take em apart to clean might as well go for broke. Got the carb kits during the week, put em in on saturday. One thing i noticed is that the float needles were a different size. Ya ok, you can yell at me because i was hoping that i could just put it back together and not set the float level and see how it goes from there. Put it all back together, and ya, she wouldnt start. Not even try. So, thought id check to see if i was getting gas to everything. Put the newly charged battery in, tightened the negative terminal with a PHILIPS screwdriver and watched the battery terminal break. Ok, tight enough. Still attached, still works. grrrr
My original petcock was shot, vacuum operated. Had a spare dirt bike tank with a gravity petock, same size, off same yr Kawa. That fit fine, but was also shot. So in my infinite wisdom and wandering around a home store, i noticed a plumbing piece with an on/off valve for 3 bucks and used it. Darned if it doesnt work. BUT, had run extra tubing and it seemed like my idea of gravity got warped with all that extra tubing. Light bulb went off, checked the carbs to see if there all getting gas, only 1 and 2 were,not 3 or 4. Shortened the roller coaster tubing and got a good feed now, gas flowing into all 4. And yes i did plug the vacuum port for the petcock.
Ok, cool, cranked her up, she putted, good sign, fired up, revved to about 40,000 rpm (not a typo) and im pretty sure blew the head gasket out by cylinder #1. Just some oil leaking out, no chunks of gasket or anything.. Yet.. Checked the throttle cable, good, turned the idle screw down a couple hundred times, started it again, that was it, got it to run on choke for a minute at a semi mormal scream and she just bogs right down again, like she ran out of gas.
So, I dont know if im looking for advice, other than stop being a dumb ass, or just venting. I know ill be setting the floats, seeing if i can get it to run for a day a week or 2 till i take it back off the road and put a head gasket in. Other than that, is there a problem going from a vacuum to a gravity petcock? Is the vacuum NEEDED for it to flow right? Second, its not gonna start and run right with that bad head gasket is it?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It WAS done, now needs alot more work im afraid.. 20 Apr 2009 11:30 #283355

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
The problem of using a gravity petcock is when you forget to shut off the gas, it accumulates in the crankcase,diluting the oil and has the potential of creating a bomb if conditions are right.

This is one reason why Kawasaki made the vacuum shut off for the fuel;when the engine is not running,no fuel will flow to the carbs.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

It WAS done, now needs alot more work im afraid.. 20 Apr 2009 14:11 #283371

• lapeerray
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I also put a gravity feed petcock on my kz ... So when you shut the gas off there is absolutly no gas trickulating into the oil? If I forget one or two times to shut gas off I should change my oil because it dilutes it and also can mess with clutch, and other mechanical operations inside the motor?
78kz650b2, 2009 kawasaki 25 hp Oturn John Deere with a 62" cut I had to have it. It was green and was powered by KAWI...,78 yamaha golfcar, Gone but not forgoten 82 v65 magna, 89 1200 Vmax, 72 GS380GT mint with 2000m.grandfather baught brand new in 72

Last edit: by lapeerray.

It WAS done, now needs alot more work im afraid.. 20 Apr 2009 14:31 #283377

• boots
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
If it leaks into your oil, I think you have other problems! No really, it shouldn't leak into your oil!
Good luck, Boots
present bikes 1976 KZ900, 1978 KZ650 Past bikes Too many to remember!!Mostly Kawasakis and a few Sportsters

81 cb650

It WAS done, now needs alot more work im afraid.. 21 Apr 2009 09:33 #283653

• violentvintagecycles
  • User
Thats the least of my problems, im actually one of those anal people that ALWAYS checks to make sure its off. Especially because i have to go under the seat now to get to it.
So is the floats the problem why it wont run? Is that a high or low level? I remember this from school, and i remember it being tedious and kinda like bend a tang, check it, bent it too far, bend it back, bend it back, etc... :S
ANy tips to make it easier?

It WAS done, now needs alot more work im afraid.. 22 Apr 2009 09:04 #284036

• violentvintagecycles
  • User
no, none? :( Been pouring here for days.. This weekend suppposed to be beautiful.. Hope i can get it going for a ride or 2..

It WAS done, now needs alot more work im afraid.. 22 Apr 2009 09:21 #284039

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
  • Thank you received: 12
Well that sure stinks. As far as the floats the only way i know of is to do the clear tube method (were you hold it up to the side of the carb so see how much fuel is in the bowl) and fine tune from there. I sure hope ya didnt blow your head gasket, i would try and see if the bolts for the head need to be torqued down, i know i had that problem on my 650, and torqing the bolts back down helped.
74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

It WAS done, now needs alot more work im afraid.. 22 Apr 2009 09:34 #284043

• violentvintagecycles
  • User
I will try that, thanks...Its the fine tuning im worried about.. :P

It WAS done, now needs alot more work im afraid.. 22 Apr 2009 09:55 #284051

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
  • Thank you received: 12
ah dont worry bout the fine tuning......its all in practice :laugh: :laugh: :P . I can tear my bike apart pretty quick now, but that is from many broken bolts, sripped holes and a cuss words up the ying yang, and i cant begine to tell ya how many wrences i have thrown across the garage.....lol
74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

It WAS done, now needs alot more work im afraid.. 22 Jul 2009 15:09 #308712

• violentvintagecycles
  • User
Ok, now its fixed.. :woohoo: Man, i gotta say it again, its the simplest sh*t thats the easiest to overlook and the hardest to find.. For me anyway. Was having problens with #4 cylinder, thought it was electrical because of intermittent, weak spark. Changed the fuse box,plugs, wires, checked and rechecked battery,etc.. Solved a sputtering problem, ran alot better, but still not firing on all 4. Patton and csi, you guys were on the right track, it was a low speed jet, but it wasnt blocked, it was laying in the bottom of the float bowl. :blush: oopssssieeee wonder what numnuts did that?!? Put her back in, checked the other 3, problem solved, she be running on all 4 now.:woohoo: <--- Yup, thats 2 woo hoos!
Ok, last major problem, bike not charging. Not even close. Plug in connector from stator to rec/reg, wires got HOTTT and blew fuse. WTF? By the way, i cant even tell you how long ive been fiddling with this stator.. Probably close to a year.. Finally narrowed it down to the brown wire coming off the reg. Sat down today, staring at it, lookin, lookin... If anyone remembers when i first starting posting, i mentioned that i had parts of a wiring harness from a gpz.. SOOOO, I have that connector in my hand, brown and a black wire in addition to the three yellow. Connector plugs into the reg. Not the original connector or not the right reg, one or the other. Connector fits, but... Holy cow, the three yellow wires are in the right spot in the connector, but the brown and black are opposite and i never freaking noticed.. :blush: <---- thats 2 blushes in one post.. Plugged the brown into the black and the black into the brown and VIOLA!! She be charging at 14v and change..Did i mention I bought a new stator last week? 110$? :S oh well, i can say its new if i ever sell it, right? Anyone need a used stator? :laugh: So i just got back from a longer than the usual 10-15 minutes, checked her again, my smile is ear to ear.. Still have lots to do cosmetically, and somewhere along the line a head gasket, but for now its my ride.. Couldnt come at a better time, on the bad side of things my car was repo'ed (actually sisters spare car), and had no way to work.. Been staying at my girls, shes only a couple miles away and riding it, charging it at work, when i got back to her house, etc.. I literally havent been home in a week..I cant wait..

Thanks to all of you who helped and had an immense amount of patience.. Im not done yet, im sure ill have more questions, but for now THANKS..

It WAS done, now needs alot more work im afraid.. 22 Jul 2009 20:40 #308767

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
  • Thank you received: 18
Well at least I am not the only one smiling after a long hiatus. B) Thats cool you got her going finally. Have fun and ride safe.
73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

It WAS done, now needs alot more work im afraid.. 23 Jul 2009 08:04 #308817

• violentvintagecycles
  • User
you as well

• Page: