• Page:

TOPIC:

1979 Kawasaki KZ400B2 11 Apr 2009 19:09 #280812

• Gryph
  • Gryph's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys,

I've been lurking on here for a while reading about all of the amazing projects you all have going on. Figured I'd tel you guys about my '79.

I picked it up in June or July for a steal, $300 Canadian Loonies, and it came with a parts bike (full exhaust and basket case engine). The PO had broken the clutch cable in the fall of the previous year, parked it for the winter, and then got some tickets over the winter. He couldn't afford to insure it anymore and it wasn't starting right (old gas I would find out later).

So after getting it I got a motion pro clutch cable from Z1, with that, new plugs and gas, I had a runner. Let it sit until this winter and got to work.

Set the valves, cam chain tensioner, new points/condenser, oil/filter, cleaned the carbs/petcock/fuel tank, got a NOS K&N drop in air filter, new fork oil, new brake fluid... HMM I think that's it.

The brake hose was cracked and started leaking, so I decided to swap on the front wheel/brake from my 78 parts bike (drum front brake!), ended up having to swap on the forks as well due to a difference in axle size. Cleaned up the ratty exhaust from the parts bike (looked like it had been in a fire), turns out it's a MAC 2-2 I think, the stock 2-1 that was on my bike was rusted out.

Painted the frame/metal bits myself, had the tank/tail sides painted gloss black with Cadillac pearl white stripes. Polished up the engine covers and random other stuff.

Really excited now, the bike is in for a safety now!! Hope it passes, don't see why it wouldn't. It starts first kick every time, or as soon as the starter button is pushed.

Here are some pics, I know it's only a 400 but you have to start somewhere!

Thanks for reading the long post.

Day I brought it home:

Tear down with parts bike in rear:

Ratty exhaust I ended up putting on:

Paint shop:

How she looks now (still need to fix up the emblems before putting them on):

Thanks again for reading!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1979 Kawasaki KZ400B2 11 Apr 2009 19:32 #280823

• arai59
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1
Welcome and nice job on the bike. Those 400's are neat bikes for sure. Check out the www.KawasakiTwinOwnersforum as well. Bunch of guys over there and plenty of info too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: