Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Peeled onion projects 05 Dec 2008 08:12 #250809

• Skinthead
  • Skinthead's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I am going to go ahead and start up my project thread here in the hopes that i can get myself motivated for starters, and look for some input into changes made and what works along the way.

This post will serve mostly as an outline of two bikes since they will be modded the same way.

What I have in mind is the complete rework of a KZ650, and a CSR1000. I have already started strip down of one machine, and will be moving hte other home from a friends garage hopefully this weekend. In reading what Raynor has done to his and learning what works thru his thread I am headed in the same direction withthe CSR1000. Tl swingarm (going to use the TL monoshock as well), and nice inverted forks with TL/Busa wheels at both ends.

So far I have the TLR swingarm, rear wheel and brake setup, TL trees, and some inverted legs I picked up some place alog the way. Everything that is taken off the original machine will hae to find its way to Ebay so I can try to keep the cost down....I am sure this is a familiar aspect of any project with many of you guys.

one this that will make both the 650 and the 1000 different from Raynors is the conversion to EFI via megasquirt. I already have the throttle bodies and injectors for the 650 ('05 GSXR 750 rack, with progressive 2-stage butterflies). Will be upgrading the top end with a 750 bore, GPZ pistons, cams and head. The 1000 will be getting a rack of gixxer 1000 bodies and injectors with a big bore kit (thinking 1175), and GPZ cams or some really good aftermarket cams.

I am more interested in corner scorching than drag racing so most of my chassis work will be devoted to making the frame rigid and light. i coudl have picked a newer bike to play with, but these just look like too much fun!

pics will be coming shortly....and hopefully some serious progress....

Doc
81 CSR 1000, 81 KZ650, 83 GPz550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Peeled onion projects 05 Dec 2008 08:31 #250811

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
Sounds like cool projects you have planned. You know you should have pix already don't you.
Mark
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

Peeled onion projects 05 Dec 2008 09:56 #250823

• Skinthead
  • User
the only problem with pics at the moment is the state of condition of both machines. the 650 looks like it sat int he weather for some time and is missing carbs (wish i had those too as it would make break in prior to the EFI conversion alot less nerve racking).

Besides, who wants to see the same old tired tear down pics of a bike again? lol.

I am looking for more info on the frame stiffening mods that i have seen here. I have some ideas on the subject, and might just put them into play. See www.teamincomplete.com/Boxer/boxerhome.html for something along the lines of what I have in mind frame wise. I want to cut as much weight and still retain a stable, rigid forward section as possible on both bikes.

We shall see what I can do for pics shortly. I have some winter cleaning of the garage to do before I get started on all this.

If, and that is a big if, I can get my camera to work this weekend I will be getting some pics of the bikes i am starting with. Hopefully I will get some of the stuff stripped off them that i am not planning to use as well.

Doc

Last edit: by Skinthead.

Peeled onion projects 05 Dec 2008 18:46 #250923

• rayshake
  • User
Sounds very interesting. I love cutting and engineering things. Got me wanting to look at my bike to see what I can get rid of.
at ma-motorsports sweeping the floor.

Peeled onion projects 06 Dec 2008 09:08 #251026

• kzr750r1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
Will be watching with interest. That boxer frame is nice and probably handles well, notes state it liked going 80-100. :)

How far do you plan to take the mods? Trellis frame with updated suspension would be bad ass. Engine case used as a stressed member?

Interested in the TL parts install and how you like them. I have the same swing arm on the shelf. Need the front end, trying to decide what donor bike parts to use.
KZ750R1 + 1991 ZR750 = KZR750R1
Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube. - HST

Peeled onion projects 08 Dec 2008 05:49 #251415

• Skinthead
  • User
having ridden a Suzuki with basically the same front end setup as the TL I won't be horrified by bad handling or flexing forks i can assure you. THese late inverteds just don't seem to have the issues that the old internal spring forks had.

Not sure how I am going to like the TL rear suspension. Still debating that TL rear shock. A simpler setup would be coming from a GSXR, and the SA easily modded to accept it.

If you look thru the Boxer build, the factory frame was used to create the trellis work that was the final frame. After reading about how the thing likes to leave the line lifting the front end about a foot in the air and rocketing off makes me grin from ear to ear!

Yeah, I am planning to use the engine as a stressed member. I am going to be building the 650 first, since it is my sons. His will be getting an SV650 aluminum swingarm and R6 wheels and brakes. I figure that should be plenty to start with. lots of stiffening and cutting of that frame to be done....

The idea I have in my head is minimal ride height, more power than stock (easy), fuel system virtually maintenance free, and way better than stock handling. I figure withthe ideas I have in my head I should be able to accomplish all of it....in time. he is headed off to the Navy soon, and I want to have his finished by the time he heads for his first duty station after A-school. I might even be tempted to ride it to him....lol.....

I plan on using the stock tank (LTD-ish looking thing), and an aftermarket fiberglass seat base. To be able to assure plenty of power to run the EFI setup I am going to situate all the accessory lights with LEDS, and will be looking into the LED headlight replacements too. Low power consumption will be necessary to assure power for the fuel pump, and CPU for the EFI system.

In the end I am planning as low maintenance as possible. being in the service i don't want him having to spend more time working on it than he does riding it so it has to go together right and solid the first time.

he won't take it from me till I have put 1000 miles on it finished. I gotta get some kind of reward for my effort int he form of big bug filled grins too....lol.

Doc

• Page: