• Page:

TOPIC:

New guy, new bike. 26 Jul 2008 13:39 #228433

• eyeofthestorm
  • eyeofthestorm's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • its KZ kraziness!
  • Thank you received: 0
hey guys, been on the site for a few weeks, been lurking and saw some threads about bobber KZ's, so i went ahead and built a bobber out of the '78 kawasaki kz650 when i saw it had been done, and done well! so thanks to you guys!

anyways, heres where i started, bone stock derelict, stored in a barn for 20 some years...

heres my first chop, and mock up of the vintage tank and fender i found on an old pile of sportster parts at a buddys farm.

so i got the tank on, and everything rigged up so i took it for a spin, six hour ride and she held up awesome, decided it was worth going the whole nine with it.

yes, thats a liscence plate for a seat. temporary parts are great, it was actually quite comfortable.

anyways, on with the build. got up in arms with it, decided it was halfass and lame, and that id better get something done. so i started the hardtail, and built my taillight mount and liscence plate bracket, and initial seat bracket.

the morning after, seat arrived in the mail. vintage Le Pera springer seat, since shes hardtaili figure i should try to keep my spine intact. anyways, heres pics of the mockup

got a rear seat bracket made, and the fender mocked up then welded. built a front seat bracket and bolted up the springs, then moved some wiring around and built a box to contain that rats nest of wires and relays... then fresh coat of paint and shes ready to roll.

done like dinner... for now. gotta eat egain sometime, lol. shell never be completely finished methinks.

so thats where i got, i LOVE my KZ it runs amazing rides amazing and im proud to ride it, i love to tell people "no its actually a 78 kawasaki" when they ask if its a cb750, im a honda guy originally and i think this bike is amazing, lots of power for a 650, couldnt ask for a better project. thanks for the inspiration and good information guys! may not be everyones cup of tea, but im in love with this bike and what ive done with it so far.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New guy, new bike. 26 Jul 2008 17:12 #228450

• Locozuna
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
ooooh I sure hated to see that nice stocker cut all up. But 2 each their own and you did a pretty good job at that. Tank looks a little odd to me but hey who am I to say. Long as you love her!:cheer:
KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

New guy, new bike. 26 Jul 2008 18:28 #228457

• jim_palmore
  • User
sweet, yours turned out alot better than mine.. way to go:woohoo:
ENJOY LIFE,, THIS IS NOT A DRESS REHEARSAL.
1991 KZ1000P FROM COPPER TO CHOPPER. MY BADASS BOBBER
Attachments:

New guy, new bike. 26 Jul 2008 21:12 #228470

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
  • Thank you received: 11
Okay since nobody else has said it yet I will.....I've got first dibs on all your unwanted, unneeded stock parts that you removed. Trust me they will find a good home and I can probably fund some of the other mods you might want to make. PM me if you have any interest in selling the stock stuff.
Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

New guy, new bike. 29 Jul 2008 17:34 #229001

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Jim I think you bike looks better. I can't really say I enjoyed the show here man. I stopped watching OCC for a reason. I thought you would of at least kept the values of it being a japanese street bike.... but now it looks like a quadruplet harley. Good luck!
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

New guy, new bike. 29 Jul 2008 20:44 #229049

• eyeofthestorm
  • User
  • its KZ kraziness!
thanks guys, didnt stay very japanese with it, but then i dont usually, my streetfighter was pretty german in style as well, im just a big fan of a simple effective bobber.

anywho yeah gringo ill PM you with what i got left and such.

New guy, new bike. 30 Jul 2008 03:31 #229076

• Z1109R Fin
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Locozuna wrote:

ooooh I sure hated to see that nice stocker cut all up. But 2 each their own and you did a pretty good job at that. Tank looks a little odd to me but hey who am I to say. Long as you love her!:cheer:

+1 a stocker in that good condition hacked up :( :unsure: Well, it´s your bike so my opinion is pretty much insignigant here...
Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

New guy, new bike. 31 Jul 2008 05:23 #229313

• p8ntgolftenn
  • User
Love the final turn out....love it so much made it the back ground of my laptop. I'm doing something similar to my 80 kz440 but with a little more of a rat look to it.

New guy, new bike. 31 Jul 2008 06:46 #229324

• KZ250LTD
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Interesting bike, nice work with it. Pretty sure I saw that one on craigslist last year, almost went and bought it, then the other three bikes decided I shouldn't :laugh:
79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

New guy, new bike. 31 Jul 2008 22:40 #229493

• eyeofthestorm
  • User
  • its KZ kraziness!
thanks guys, wow dude i cant beleive you made it your desktop hahaha its mine right now too, i got some new pics of it after some work too.

anywho yeah it was a "nice stocker" but the paint was destroyed from thirty years of neglect, it had been dumped and the bars were crooked, tank was dented to hell, the seat was HIDEOUS and the rear fender was cracked, the only part of the bike that wasnt rusted beyond recognition or messed up was the frame and the side cover panels, everyhing else was pretty much boned. if it was really that nice i wouldnt have cut it up, trust me im a resto guy as much as a modder, but this thing was beyond help.

New guy, new bike. 01 Aug 2008 21:22 #229639

• mr anderson
  • User
I love it!:woohoo: You have given me insparation! Ive been wondering what to do with my 77' 650. Ive cut the rear part of the frame off like you did and tore the seat cover and foam off to the pan. cut the back of the pan off and painted it. it is quite comfortable like your licence plate seat. anyway, I have been debating on making it a true hard tail by modding the frame and I think I will do it now. I can see the beauty of both keeping a bike stock and modifying them too. Like you my bike had a lot of little stuff wrong that it would have nickeld and dimed me to ruin. I find cheaper ways of making it look good (at least to me) anyway. nice build.

New guy, new bike. 02 Aug 2008 16:33 #229758

• ZER
  • User
Wow! I am liking all the KZ Bobbers popping up here!

I am just glad to finally be getting some work done on my project.

GREAT JOB!
Michigan Yooper
1983 KZ440 LTD Belt Drive,(drag bars, smoothed side covers, shaved seat, pod filters, bar end mirrors) 1981 KZ440 LTD (parts bike)

• Page: