• switch
  • switch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000m CSR
  • Thank you received: 0
I have had to deal with heating parts before painting. I tried direct heating:
Then I tried opposing bulbs:
still nothing.
Then I tried dangling the two bulbs inside the oven, and bingo! So I got a lot of the oven removed, removed the bottom element, and installed ceramic sockets for heat lamps:

I don't know if you will be able to see the thermometer, but it took about 15 minutes to heat up to 115 degrees. And that with ambient temp of 40 degrees (unheated garage)

I suspect it will require more time to heat the parts, but I am encouraged. Now I need to solve my heating problem so I can spray paint more easily.
1981 KZ1000 M1 CSR
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (gone)
You do not have to believe everything you think!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

heating parts and1200 Gun Kote 02 Jan 2009 21:46 #255847

• switch
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000m CSR
Success!!

[img] These are my upper and lower triple trees before blasting and painting. and these are the painted pieces. [img]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm15/SwitchCVI/Project%20Bike/P1000746.jpg[/img][img]
I am NOW very happy with this product. 1200 Series "Stock Kote". The finished surface is tough and I like the satin finish.

Getting to this point has been very interesting, and I am grateful for all the challenges. They have made me see just how limited a capacity I have for attempting new things. I like to pride myself on being open to new things. But that is not the case with painting my bike parts. The need for a really good product was weighing me down. Enough psycho-babble.

I have discovered the right combination for my sand blasting, and the right combination for my preparation and paint spraying. I am spraying at 32 degrees F. and you can see the result.

Out of the black, so I have moved to brake parts and the grey that I haven't used yet.

Installation of races and bearings will be tomorrow, and I hope to have pics for tomorrow night.
1981 KZ1000 M1 CSR

Nearly finished! 17 Nov 2009 00:48 #334263

• switch
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000m CSR
Thank you all for your help. I am reviving this thread to let you know that I am ready now for initial startup. I just finished everything for startup, and here is how she looks.

There is still a lot to do (including cleaning and sealing the tank), but I will be doing that as I work the bugs out for the motor. This is the first step; making this bike safe and reliable.
After this I don't have any fear of doing anything to this bike, as I know her inside and out. What a great feeling!
1981 KZ1000 M1 CSR