Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

78 KZ650 SR Frankenstein Commuter Build 12 Apr 2008 23:39 #206038

• KawiConvert
  • KawiConvert's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I only say this is a Frankenstein because I have no qualms about using modern parts so long as they function and don't look too out of place. Also, I hope to have it finished soon so that I can use it to commute to work and save on gas as I am currently putting way too much into the tank every other week.

Anyways, picked it up in the condition shown below for 200.00. Cosmetically, to me anyways, it wasn't much to look at and if not for the bike in this picture I would have even considered it. As you can see it needed a fair amount of work in addition to the work that I was planning to do to it anyways.

After tearing into the carbs (reason PO said it didn't run) I found that they were pretty beat (literally with some kind of a hammer) and the carb boots were shot, wiring was kinda sketchy, seat needed to be redone, tires and chain are toast. Some missing grommets and dust covers.

The good part is that the engine turned over freely, the headlight worked, and it has a title. Also, nothing really important appeared to be missing.

This was three months ago.
1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by KawiConvert. Reason: add image

78 KZ650 SR Frankenstein Commuter Build 13 Apr 2008 00:02 #206041

• KawiConvert
  • User
The other good things about the PO is that he hooked me up with a different pair of shocks in exchange for the ones that came with the bike, also he gave me a tank off of his Yamaha XS Eleven parts bike. With those two things my project got a little cheaper and I really liked the way the tank fit with the seat that I had been working on. Originally I was going to use a tank off of a late 70's honda, but it didn't look right and so I scrapped it and was looking for something else when the PO called to let me know that he had found some parts for my bike while cleaning out the garage.

Since I don't know how to post more than one picture I'll just post this one.

It isn't the most recent, but is fairly representative.

Since this picture was taken I have actually built mounts for the tank, gotten the carbs (a new set) rebuilt, the engine running, the wiring redone (95% done), rebuilt the forks today with new seals and dust caps (the oil smelled like a soiled diaper), swapping out the steering bearings for a tapered set (all balls, in progress) as the stock ones had a groove and pits, rebuilt the tank petcock to be manual with no vacuum activation, added bar end mirrors, and added short stem turn signal mounts in place of the 10mm headlight bolts, and last but not least the WT rearsets (still waiting on a shift lever linkage). There may be other things I am missing, but thats the ones I can think of right now.

All I know now is that I still have a long ways to go and I still haven't decided whether to get the frame powder coated or not, which parts to get powder coated, and what to make my seat out of. I am hoping to get everything else done and make a seat pan out of fiberglass and balsa here in the next couple of weeks. Also if I can get everything sand blasted and ready to get coated before May I will really be doing good.

Sorry for the long rambling second post, but its the best I can do to pack 3 months into 3 paragraphs.

If anyone has some cool seat ideas I would be glad to hear them as I haven't gotten much past how I am building the removable seat pan.
Attachments:

78 KZ650 SR Frankenstein Commuter Build 13 Apr 2008 03:15 #206051

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 304
Dang, you've been busy...:)
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

78 KZ650 SR Frankenstein Commuter Build 13 Apr 2008 06:10 #206073

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
This site has a good section on do it yourself tank and seat builds:
tank and seats
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

78 KZ650 SR Frankenstein Commuter Build 13 Apr 2008 13:28 #206147

• KawiConvert
  • User
rstnick,
Thanks for the link, I haven't done any fiberglass work in the last 5 years so I am trying to remember some of the things I learned. Also I am trying to find a supplier for some good resin (the last time I bought from the auto parts store the resin was a joke that never really cured (tacky) even after sitting for 3 days. The local supply here is limited to a few auto parts stores so I'm trying to find a boat shop or something similar.

Other than that, trying to get an air compressor so that I can start sandblasting and getting parts powder coated at my friends house (small stuff, frame will go to a shop).

As for being busy, I have become very familiar with the parts available at Z1enterprises and with trying to find something off ebay to fill a need. Which explains the zx-7r master cylinder, cbr1100 tailight, honda cb500 gas tank fender, yammy tank, etc. Its been fun at times and seemingly endless at others (so much left to do and buy).

Also, this forum has been great at helping get my bike running and knowing what to check when it was having issues starting and running.

78 KZ650 SR Frankenstein Commuter Build 17 Apr 2008 14:45 #207215

• Bad Kaw
  • User
  • Flying Squirell
  • Thank you received: 13
What's the progress now?
78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

78 KZ650 SR Frankenstein Commuter Build 17 Apr 2008 22:04 #207305

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
I had a tough time figuring out the multiple shot thing too.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

78 KZ650 SR Frankenstein Commuter Build 17 Apr 2008 22:53 #207315

• KawiConvert
  • User
Well, the forks are rebuilt and sitting on the bench. I used a propane torch and got the lower race off, but found the lower triple was rusting a little, so I am going to sandblast it and then get it powder coated along with some other parts. Also, figured that this would be a good time to strip the frame down and get it powder coated as well (the local shop will spray and bake for about 40.00).

Depending on what I can get done this weekend I would like to have my tank mount finished, seat base finished (by finished I mean ready to sandblast), and then I get to clean out the garage again, and then strip the bike down so that I can sandblast the frame.

If I get the frame sandblasted I can drop it off and get it and some other parts coated, get some new tires on the bike, and then start bolting it all back together. My goal now is to have it all done and running by the middle of May. Then I can use it for commuting and start saving as gas is over 3.70 here (of course with speeding tickets, my savings may not go very far :) ).

78 KZ650 SR Frankenstein Commuter Build 19 Apr 2008 21:00 #207710

• KawiConvert
  • User
Ok, tank mount in, and tank sandblasted. Onto cleaning the garage and pulling the bike apart. Then more sandblasting and eventually I'll have it ready to start going together.

78 KZ650 SR Frankenstein Commuter Build 22 Apr 2008 18:34 #208320

• KawiConvert
  • User
Frame welding/mods finished and ground (along with my thumb :) and the seat pan is started. Got the first 2 layers of glass on and curing, after they are done I have some foam to add to shape it a little and to help reinforce it and then 2 more layers of glass to add.

Then its on to sand-blasting everything. One question, how hard is it to remove the swingarm bearings? I think that I will have to pull them prior to powder coating and just wanted to see if it is worth it.

Another question, I am thinking of cutting out the gauge cluster (though I will have to build a little key mount) and I was thinking of replacing it with the Acewell speedo/tach/lights combo. Does anyone know how those mount up? If it clamps to the bars I may take off the gauge cluster mounts and have a smooth polished top triple clamp.

Oh, also going with the all aluminum wheels with the accents polished and everything else the dull sandblasted look. Then I will clear coat over all of it to seal out the crud.

Anyways, back to check on the glass, and rebandage my thumb :). Thanks for the help so far. I will post pics of the seat pan when I get it all glassed and cut down to size. Then I just have to do the cover and the seat is ready to go!

Last edit: by KawiConvert.

78 KZ650 SR Frankenstein Commuter Build 26 Apr 2008 22:13 #209369

• Bad Kaw
  • User
  • Flying Squirell
  • Thank you received: 13
Pics, brother!
PICS!

:)
78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

78 KZ650 SR Frankenstein Commuter Build 17 May 2008 15:39 #214210

• KawiConvert
  • User
Ok, finally got the frame blasted and PC'ed along with the swingarm and other components. I went with the semi-gloss for a number of reasons, namely cost, durability, and since I haven't picked a color for the tank yet I figured it will go with whatever I pick. Anyways, just got to finish cleaning up the rims so that I can get them PC'ed with a clear coat and then get some new tires on them. The rear tire was a pain as it has the bead stop on it and the tire was pretty well fused to the rim.

Now just waiting for my brother to get here so we can put the engine in the frame and when my parts get here I can hook up the swingarm and forks and eventually the wheels. Anyways, since I don't have the multi picture per post I just put them in one at a time.
Attachments: