Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 14 Jul 2015 19:46 #680904

• SmokyOwl
  • SmokyOwl's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11

kaw-a-holic wrote: Harbor Freight sells the glass buss fusses for cheap. The problem is they suck and are not easy to find, especially on the road. Do yourself a favor and update to a blade style fuse panel. You can buy the one shown at some auto parts stores for under$20. If you want to spend a pit more, there are some other options on this site: www.cycleterminal.com/fuse-box-kits.html

It looks like I'll be doing what swest is doing with the larger fuses, as I'm trying not to spend more money than necessary. But I did find this really nice waterproof model if anybody's looking for something similar:
Blue Sea Systems 5025
1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 22 Jul 2015 09:12 #682163

• SmokyOwl
  • User
So I dropped off a photo at Walgreens and there's a bike shop across the street, so I ride over there just for some general advice and knowledge, and maybe some advice on the iffy speedo (another thread). I've been there before in the car, looking for gloves, helmet and such before, and the greeter/owner of the place remembered me. As I had my jacket on, he assumed I was riding the bike and he was very excited to see it. He gave me tips on how to fix the speedo (I wasn't even looking in the right spot), and then he told me something that kinda made my heart sink a little. Don't restore it, don't paint it... leave it as it is, just polish the hell outta it and clean it. I was seriously contemplating restoring it, as it had some heavy scratches on top of the tank and shallow dents in the sides. So we said our goodbyes, and I get my helmet on and back out, but then as I was pulling out with my gear back on, he comes out the door with his lead mechanic and starts pointing at me. I thought to myself "I'll be comin' back here often enough, he'll get a good look at it sooner or later", and so I just waved and left. I'm sure they are so used to bikes that are not older than 15-20 years old, and I'm sure getting an oldie like this breaks the usual grind at work for them.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 22 Jul 2015 10:24 #682173

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
$$$$$ new owner Oh boy, a pigeon, don't let him get away. Extended shop time waiting on parts, storage fees etc.
Be careful. Lots of sharks out there, I mean SNAKES.
Steve

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 22 Jul 2015 11:08 #682177

• SmokyOwl
  • User

swest wrote: $$$$$ new owner Oh boy, a pigeon, don't let him get away. Extended shop time waiting on parts, storage fees etc.
Be careful. Lots of sharks out there, I mean SNAKES.
Steve

Nah, if he was like that he wouldn't have given me direction on fixing the sensor. He woulda pushed me into taking it in to fix and make it sound even more complicated than I thought it was. I have a pretty good nose for crap shops, and this guy's on the up and up. It's a newer shop (1 to 2 years old), and the ones that have crap service are usually the ones that have been around for 10+ years and the workers just don't care anymore cause they're burnt out at it. That's just a generalization, not a rule, as there are old shops that give good service too. And you can't really judge a shop that you haven't been to yet right?

The real trick to making really any shop do good work for you, regardless of it's reputation, is have the workers there like you. You never see a mechanic working on his friends' motor and doing a half-assed job of it. And that's what I'm building at this shop, trust and friendship, so if they screw something up they will actually feel bad for me and at themselves and when I'm happy they're happy. I'm hoping to learn everybody's name at the shop, how business is doing, and eventually how the workers are doing on a personal level. Perhaps one day even go riding with them, who knows. Of course this isn't a certainty of good work, as you can't control other people's bad habits, but it definately helps.

Last edit: by SmokyOwl.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 22 Jul 2015 12:55 #682183

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Maybe I'm jaded. I got my bike running again and went to the shops that are still open. Same thing, "we can order parts for you." SO CAN I, I said. I can see the $$ signs in their eyes. Old bike, old guy, perfect candidate for a GANK. When I tell them I've had and been wrenching on this bike for 40 years, I can see the disappointment in their faces. I move on.
Steve

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 22 Jul 2015 13:32 #682186

• SmokyOwl
  • User

swest wrote: Maybe I'm jaded. I got my bike running again and went to the shops that are still open. Same thing, "we can order parts for you." SO CAN I, I said. I can see the $$ signs in their eyes. Old bike, old guy, perfect candidate for a GANK. When I tell them I've had and been wrenching on this bike for 40 years, I can see the disappointment in their faces. I move on.
Steve

Yeah I've been there. Just on the opposite end of age.

So what are your thoughts of just 'leaving it be" and not restoring it? Waxing okay? Touch-up paint okay? I don't know how to move forward with this. I've never had a vehicle this old that I planned on keeping a while.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 22 Jul 2015 14:12 #682192

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I don't see anything wrong in restoring it. Hacking it up yeah.
Steve

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 22 Jul 2015 14:30 #682194

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I was just looking at your bike again. What's to restore? Air forks? What size front tire do you have? The forks and a small tire might be the problem with the center stand.
Steve

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 22 Jul 2015 14:37 #682196

• SmokyOwl
  • User

swest wrote: I don't see anything wrong in restoring it. Hacking it up yeah.
Steve

I'm thinking about just replacing the fenders (and the tank if I can find an appropriate match) and keeping the original parts in safe storage while hacking up and customizing the replacement parts. This way I can have my fun custom ride, and if stuff gets scratched up or damaged I don't have to worry (as long as it's not a full on crash, but then the bike components will be the least of my worries). I think it's a good plan, but I can't afford really much of anything anymore as buying the bike, title swap, insurance, and safety equipment has really drained my accounts. So I may have to wait until next year, and that's fine by me. I think saving the stock components and repacing them with crap parts willl put my mind at ease for potential future damage.

I dunno. We'll see what happens, I'll probably stop by the paint shop and see what they can do for touch-up paint. Last thing I want is rust spots on the tank right now from all those scratches. I'll have to take some pics of everything that's wrong with the bike and post them.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 22 Jul 2015 15:52 #682207

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
  • Thank you received: 23
Please do, Steve LOVES pics!

(We all do ;) )
1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 22 Jul 2015 18:46 #682225

• SmokyOwl
  • User
Ask an ye shall receive...

As you can see, the tank has suffered from the last owner being a moron and mounting the bike with the leg over the tank instead of over the seat.

Rocks can be pretty nasty

This picture is actually level, as you can see the damage from the rear end bent the taillight assembly and bent in the rear fender. There's also a lot of chipped paint at the base of the assembly.

I've been seeing a lot of leaking master cylinders resulting in this kind of damage. Don't know how to fix this.

Missing white lettering really really really annoys me. Same with the raised letters on the dash, but those should be easy enough to fix with a white paint marker.

This just looks like crap. Although I really like the sissy bar for holding my helmet & jacket, there has to be a smoother install method than this.

Another thing is the foggy headlight I want to replace for the sake of safety. There are also lots of nicks, dents, and scratches all over, and the brake/clutch levers are worn and faded but are easily and cheaply replaceable.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 22 Jul 2015 18:59 #682227

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Until you're ready for paint, I'd wax it. The lettering can be done with oil paint like the kind for oil paintings. You can buy a tube, put some on with a Q tip and wipe off the excess.

I need to get a new gasket for my master cylinder so I can paint it too.
Steve
Attachments: