Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New from Washington State 21 Apr 2014 12:26 #629866

• CamanoZ1
  • CamanoZ1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Greeting from Northern Washington. I recently pulled a 74 Z1-A out of a barn where its been since 1990. Complete, all original, (except the exhaust -has 4 into 2's with straight megaphone style mufflers), with a backrest, crashbars/freeway pegs, and a clear plexi windscreen. Just under 24K on the odometer. Green and yellow. Tires hold air (sort of), and it rolled easily from its resting place. Its got some rust from the wonderful barn cats that marked it, and a nice oily mess under the chain oiler. I pushed the kick starter through and it turns over nicely. Has all the paperwork, tool kit, owners manual, Kawasaki warranty card, etc....

My original plan was to to go with the newer suspension/brakes/tires etc (Streetfighter style), but with it being so original, it seems a shame to do it to this example. Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by CamanoZ1.

New from Washington State 21 Apr 2014 12:39 #629867

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 301
Well, your bike = your decision. However, restored Z1A-s are very nice. If I had my druthers...the bike would go back to original (or as close to that as currently possible). Any direction you take won't be cheap. :)

And welcome to KZR...also, you might investigate kawasaki-z-classik.com for a completely biased opinion (and one that I hold). :)
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: by Mcdroid. Reason: clarity

New from Washington State 21 Apr 2014 13:19 #629875

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWelcome aboard! I would go for original for sure. Not only do they look great, but original Z1 bikes have considerably more value than modified ones. Do a bit of research to see what original Z1's sell for; you may be very pleasantly surprised at what you have just acquired. ;) Ed

Example:
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

New from Washington State 21 Apr 2014 21:01 #629926

• Haybus
  • User
  • Big Al
  • Thank you received: 42
Welcome from another islander. I vote original. Post up some pics when you get a chance.

Alan
1976 KZ900 LTD (sort of)
2005 FJR
2009 Hayabusa
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/557845...-streetfighter-build

New from Washington State 22 Apr 2014 10:33 #629965

• CamanoZ1
  • User
I think it would be best for someone with the time to do this one to take it. I do not, as I have too many other projects being walked passed as it is. Any experience with what I should be asking for it as is? The only parts I see as not being original (with my limited knowledge) is the grab bar behind the seat (back rest/rack eliminates it), and the exhaust. I don't have any pics in the computer to post. Can I do it from my phone? There are 2 small dents in the left side of the tank, but I haven't spent any time determining their source. Seat has a small tear in the left side.

At the very least, I'll get it cleaned up and as presentable as I can in its current condition, but this won't happen until sometime this summer- I leave for Houston for a couple months next week for work.

Thanks for the input, guys.

New from Washington State 22 Apr 2014 10:46 #629967

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
I live just south of Houston...bring it with you and I'll take a look at it :) Failing that, we'll be able to give you a better estimate if you could post whole bike photos.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

New from Washington State 23 Apr 2014 06:17 #630057

• CamanoZ1
  • User
Agreed. Thats not going to be until summer, as mentioned. I may have a local buyer, too. See you guys then.

New from Washington State 23 Apr 2014 06:44 #630058

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers

CamanoZ1 wrote: Agreed. Thats not going to be until summer, as mentioned. I may have a local buyer, too. See you guys then.

:laugh: It is already summer here...
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

New from Washington State 23 Apr 2014 07:08 #630063

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
I like to modify bikes but I have to say it would be a shame to see a good bike get chopped. IMHO, restore it sell it and you could buy and modify 2 bikes. Just my .02 B)
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

New from Washington State 23 Apr 2014 13:56 #630107

• CamanoZ1
  • User
If I were to go through the time and effort to restore it, I'd probably keep it. Options are totally open at this time. I'm not a purist, but I get it that if one is 'all there', its path is somewhat pre-decided. I had no intention of even getting one of these, but when I told a friend that my son had gotten a 74 CB550 and was getting to work on it, he mentioned this one that was literally across the road from him in the barn. I grabbed it more for the idea that I didn't want to see it scrapped by some of the local migrant farm workers who didn't have a clue about what it was.

I may get to it, I may sell it. Either way, it will get some love eventually.

New from Washington State 23 Apr 2014 20:37 #630153

• Haybus
  • User
  • Big Al
  • Thank you received: 42
I may be interested. How much you looking for? Need pics of course.

Alan
1976 KZ900 LTD (sort of)
2005 FJR
2009 Hayabusa
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/557845...-streetfighter-build

New from Washington State 24 Apr 2014 05:56 #630179

• CamanoZ1
  • User
Not sure. Don't have enough knowledge of pricing/value yet. Won't be getting it to my house for awhile, and then probably won't be touching it very soon after that. Have to do all the title transfer stuff, etc...Owner drives long haul, so its hard to get him pinned down for the paperwork, but when my friend spoke to him, he was all good with letting it go, enough for him to tell us to go ahead and grab it.

I'll let everyone know what I come up with, once that takes place.

• Page: