Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Never Thought It Would Happen to Us 19 Aug 2023 06:35 #888480

• hardrockminer
  • hardrockminer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1033
We've lived in Chase, near Kamloops for a little over five years.  We like it here because there are a lot of roads to take for day trips around the central and southern part of BC.  But since we've been here we have been smoked out by forest fires in four of six summers.  One summer it got so bad that we packed up the RV and headed for the coast for a couple of weeks where the air was cleaner.

Most of the fires are caused by lightening as storms pass over the forests.  Several weeks ago two fires broke out near the Adams River, about 25 km from our home.  One is now over 25 thousand acres and growing.  The other is over 5 thousand acres.  Yesterday the wind shifted from mostly southerly light breezes to mostly northerly brisk winds with large gusts.  That's a firefighter's nightmare.  Sure enough, the fires began to progress towards our town, and the local authorities put the town on an evacuation alert, which is a warning that an evacuation order may come at any moment so be prepared to leave in a hurry. We watched from our driveway as huge clouds of smoke and ash came billowing out of the Adams River Valley.  It was just north of us but slowly moving in our direction.  Around 6 pm an ember landed in the forest about 20 km from the fire and started ANOTHER fire.  That was enough to cause us to take action.  We packed up the RV, closed up the house and left.  Currently we are near Kamloops boondocking and waiting for news before considering returning or heading north for a few days.  The latest word is that Chase is under an alert, so we are able to return as long as we are willing to leave immediately if need be.  

Wildfires are not unique to Chase this year.  The nearby city of Kelowna has had to evacuate over 5,000 homes as fire rips through part of the city.  The capital of the Northwest Territories, Yellowknife has completely evacuated a city of 20,000 people due to approaching fires.  BC alone has over 400 active wildfires with firefighters coming from around the world to help out.  

Here are some photos of the smoke and glow from the fires.

This one shows the smoke coming from the fire

Smoke is getting closer.  Ash beginning to fall.

The glow from the Adams Lake fire and it's progeny, the Turtle Valley fire.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Never Thought It Would Happen to Us 19 Aug 2023 07:13 #888484

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1811
I did wonder if any of you guys in Canada where being effected, now I have the answer. I genuinely hope it passes by with causing you any damage, in the interim getting away is absolutely the sensible thing to do. Too many people stick it out regardless and put rescuers in jeapordy !! Be safe, everything else can be replaced/rebuilt

Never Thought It Would Happen to Us 19 Aug 2023 07:37 #888485

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2073
I hope the fires bypass your town and that the firefighters can get them under control soon.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Never Thought It Would Happen to Us 19 Aug 2023 07:55 #888486

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
I sincerely hope you guys get through this without injury or damage. Cant begin to imagine what it must be like. Pictures of the scene across the lake from Kelowna look like a nightmare. 

There are/were a few other kzr members in that central BC area. Hope they are ok also.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Last edit: by JR.

Never Thought It Would Happen to Us 19 Aug 2023 10:58 #888494

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
Thanks for the good wishes.  We are back in Chase but under a fire alert.  Winds have died down and are mostly from the south again.  There is very little smoke in town, but lots to the North of us.  As we left town last night we saw a lot of horse trailers heading up into Turtle Valley, likely to rescue animals.  There is a donkey refuge up there with a lot of animals that need protection from the fire.  

The main highway is closed because of the fire, so if you're planning to ride the Trans Canada Highway in the next few days....don't.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

Never Thought It Would Happen to Us 19 Aug 2023 14:41 #888504

• Kelly E
  • User
  • Never Give Up. Never Surrender
  • Thank you received: 307
Today the smoke has made it south to Lynden Wa. near the border but the draft from the Straight of Juan de Fuca has kept the smoke from coming further south to my area. So far we haven't had any smokey days like the last few years.
The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda Sabre 700
1984 Honda Interceptor 1000
1994 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
And more

Never Thought It Would Happen to Us 19 Aug 2023 19:28 #888511

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 256
HRM - Be safe, we're thinking of you.

Scotty
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1

Never Thought It Would Happen to Us 19 Aug 2023 21:26 #888512

• Cra-z1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 86
Hardrock I was thinking of you up there today. We were on our way back from Seattle riding in dense smoke from all the fires in Washington and Canada. I-90 was shut down near Spokane and it took us 1 1/2 hours to go 5 miles before finding some backroads to get home. 

Hope thing go good for you. Keep us informed.

Never Thought It Would Happen to Us 20 Aug 2023 04:20 #888514

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

We finally got an update to the fire map last night.  They have been fighting two fires for most of the last month.  There were some really strong storms about two weeks ago with a lot of rain, but the fires continued to burn.  On Friday the winds changed from South to Northwest and were very brisk, with strong gusts pushing the fire to the Southeast, which was directly towards the town of Chase.  It travelled 20 km in 12 hrs, expanding in size from 25,000 acres to 100,000 acres.  It wiped out four communities, but Chase was saved, likely because there is a lake (Little Shuswap) between us and the fire.  We are at the S end of the lake.  The fire went through the N end.

We came back home yesterday.  Winds had died down but smoke was very intense.  I went for a bike (Bicycle) ride but cut it off due to smoke.  This morning the smoke seems a bit less than yesterday so I'll give the bike ride another try in a couple of hrs.

So we were lucky this time.  The city of Kelowna was not so lucky.  Thousands of people evacuated and hundreds of homes burned.  

Smoke map with outline of the fire.  Chase is in the lower left corner at the end ot the lake.

Smoke from Friday

Smoke from Saturday...same view

Attachments:

Never Thought It Would Happen to Us 20 Aug 2023 04:52 #888515

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 615
Prayers for you, yours & everyone affected.   Can't imagine...  Stay safe.

slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Never Thought It Would Happen to Us 20 Aug 2023 04:59 #888516

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
Thanks Jim.  I guess the good news is that no one has died in this conflagration.  The community of Scotch Creek had to evacuate by boat, as the road out was in the fire zone.  At least two firefighters have died this year by accidents while fighting to protect our communities.

Never Thought It Would Happen to Us 20 Aug 2023 12:11 #888527

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1865
Hoping you have the best outcome possible. Good luck and be safe!
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

• Page: