Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wookie's "Mille Miglia" road trip 22 Jun 2023 09:55 #886302

• Wookie58
  • Wookie58's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1813
I know this is a motorcycle forum but I also know some of you guys have a wider appreciation of all vehicles classic/historic. I spent last week in Italy and managed to follow a couple of days of the "Mille Miglia" (1000 miles) to those not familiar with the event, this was a road race run over 1000 Roman miles (1250mls in "new money") from the 1920's to the 1960's where greats like the late Sterling Moss made their name. These days whilst no longer a "race" it is still a regularity rally only open to vehicles that where of a brand and model which competed in period. What this means is 440 of the most exclusive collector "road race" cars not being hidden in private collections and museums but on the road for 4 days in all weather completing the full 1250mls (those that made it to the end) these included entries from Bugatti, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Fiat, Lancia, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Porsche, Mercedes, Chrysler, Delahaye, Healey and a range of other European brands long since swallowed up by the "big boys". There is something visceral about the noise and smell of these old "war horses" being given their head as they were meant to when new.

How about a 1927 Bugatti T37 (worth i excess of $1 million)

One for you guys Stateside a Chrysler 75 from 1929

Or if you want provenance this Cisitalia from 1947 was a works entry when new in 1947 then after disappearing for 54 years reappeared on the 2001 event

These guys deserve maximum respect for bringing these cars out of hiding and for driving 300 miles a day in all weather in what are probably some of the most uncomfortable modes of transport ever devised 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: willemZ900, Nessism, KZJOE900, Street Fighter LTD, sf4t7, scubaanders, Nerdy, BCScott and 4 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wookie's "Mille Miglia" road trip 22 Jun 2023 11:00 #886304

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 659
Bet you had a great time Guy. Some great cars and pictures there. I love Italy and its cafe and motors culture. They love there cars and bikes in Italy on another level. We're you working or holidaying? 
I went over several years back for a long break in the Modena region. Home of the petrol powered industry.
Visited several factories and museum's. Wonkey donkey, tractor factory and home of the trident. 
Bikes, I did Ducati and a few days down at San Marino for Bimota. The hospitality guides were unbelievable super model types but totally off limits unfortunately  ​​​​​​. (I can dream). 
Theres also a fair few private collections in the area which I managed to snag an invite too not to mention 30 mins blasting a 430 around Fiarano and dinner at the Montana all courtesy of ferrari. 
Oddly the Maserati museum is at an olive farm. The owner made his money printing the panini football cards ( remember those from the 70"s?) Sold up and bought the farm to house the Maserati museum and grow a few olives! 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

Wookie's "Mille Miglia" road trip 22 Jun 2023 11:16 #886305

• Wookie58
Sounds awesome, it was a holiday with Mrs Wookie. A solid compromise of three days motors (2 days Mille Miglia and one day at the Lamborghini factory museum which was a birthday present) the rest of the time was sightseeing (just shy of 4000mls in 9 days) We went 8 years ago also for the Mille Miglia. Always an interesting place to drive Italy   (we got sideswiped in a tunnel on the autoroute by an old Italian lady but the damage is minimal and we weren't going to let it ruin the holiday) I passed by you at 10:00 Sunday night on the way back up from Folkestone in that biblical rain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Warren3200gt

Wookie's "Mille Miglia" road trip 22 Jun 2023 11:20 #886306

• Wookie58
One for the bike guys, two immaculate MotoGuzzi 250's by Lake Maggiore

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Warren3200gt

Wookie's "Mille Miglia" road trip 22 Jun 2023 11:47 #886309

• Warren3200gt
  • User

Sounds awesome, it was a holiday with Mrs Wookie. A solid compromise of three days motors (2 days Mille Miglia and one day at the Lamborghini factory museum which was a birthday present) the rest of the time was sightseeing (just shy of 4000mls in 9 days) We went 8 years ago also for the Mille Miglia. Always an interesting place to drive Italy   (we got sideswiped in a tunnel on the autoroute by an old Italian lady but the damage is minimal and we weren't going to let it ruin the holiday) I passed by you at 10:00 Sunday night on the way back up from Folkestone in that biblical rain.
​​​​​

Closer than you think assuming you came up the m20. I was at the Kentagon ( Brands Hatch) at 10.00 on Sunday.

I assume pics are still banned on the factory floor at lambo (tractor factory) but here's a few of the museum to keep the memory alive. Any still there? 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Wookie's "Mille Miglia" road trip 22 Jun 2023 12:14 #886311

• Wookie58
They have had a change of stock but examples of all the old favourites still there (Maura, LP400, Urraco, 3500GT, Espada etc)

Wookie's "Mille Miglia" road trip 22 Jun 2023 12:19 #886312

• Warren3200gt
  • User
This diabolo gtr was awesome. Got any pics?

Attachments:

Wookie's "Mille Miglia" road trip 22 Jun 2023 20:01 #886322

• MLMG
  • User
  • See you in the wind.
  • Thank you received: 35
When I was younger I had a Benelli 2-stroke, but I always liked the Benelli Sei.
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 A1

Wookie's "Mille Miglia" road trip 23 Jun 2023 10:09 #886334

• MLMG
  • User
  • See you in the wind.
  • Thank you received: 35

When I was younger I had a Benelli 2-stroke, but I always liked the Benelli Sei.
I found some photo.
Vi mostro la mia Benelli!

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 A1
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, Scirocco

Wookie's "Mille Miglia" road trip 23 Jun 2023 10:21 #886336

• Wookie58

I found some photo.
Vi mostro la mia Benelli!

You do really nice work Leonardo (must be something in the name) a true artist
The following user(s) said Thank You: MLMG

Wookie's "Mille Miglia" road trip 23 Jun 2023 17:03 #886345

• rivman15
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
Love the photos. Sounds like a amazing trip! And I love seeing older vehicles.One of these days we plan to go over there. My wifes family have traveled all over europe and italy atleast three times. Several friends have visited and I have family there. One of these days I plan to go with my wife. I will have to tell you the story someday about the 1933 Master Eagle I worked on before I sold my business. Only two in the world... the second is in the smithsonian Institution.... thats a crazy story. Most days today are spent looking at Corvettes....Most are new but many old... I work for the largest corvette dealer in New York State with around 75 to 125 in stock.

Wookie's "Mille Miglia" road trip 23 Jun 2023 17:09 #886346

• Wookie58

Love the photos. Sounds like a amazing trip! And I love seeing older vehicles.One of these days we plan to go over there. My wifes family have traveled all over europe and italy atleast three times. Several friends have visited and I have family there. One of these days I plan to go with my wife. I will have to tell you the story someday about the 1933 Master Eagle I worked on before I sold my business. Only two in the world... the second is in the smithsonian Institution.... thats a crazy story. Most days today are spent looking at Corvettes....Most are new but many old... I work for the largest corvette dealer in New York State with around 75 to 125 in stock.
I can think of worse ways to spend the day, you could work for a Hyundai dealer   The event runs every year around early June 

• Page: