Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so cheap 21 Feb 2023 07:06 #880563

• Wookie58
  • Wookie58's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1788

This is exactly why I can’t wait to own an electric car. They are boring things, no excitement. But that’s what I want, a boring car that just runs.
I am sure they will still go wrong (hope so, I paid my mortgage for 25 years off the back of earning money repairing them) but I know what you mean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so cheap 21 Feb 2023 11:15 #880574

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
  • Thank you received: 223

This is exactly why I can’t wait to own an electric car. They are boring things, no excitement. But that’s what I want, a boring car that just runs.
I am sure they will still go wrong (hope so, I paid my mortgage for 25 years off the back of earning money repairing them) but I know what you mean

~~~>>> No doubt when the electronics go south on an EV you’ll need a computer technician to figure it out. And lots of money.
Don't even get me started on the "self driving" aspect.
Hopefully they’ll have that figured out in ten years, which is about the time that my 2013 Honda Accord will be looking to retire.

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so cheap 21 Feb 2023 11:25 #880575

• Wookie58
  • Wookie58's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1788

~~~>>> No doubt when the electronics go south on an EV you’ll need a computer technician to figure it out. And lots of money.
Don't even get me started on the "self driving" aspect.
Hopefully they’ll have that figured out in ten years, which is about the time that my 2013 Honda Accord will be looking to retire.

Probably a good time to get all your kids studying law, imagine the amount of litigation cases there will be trying to decide if it's an insurance claim or a warranty fault should you be unfortunate enough to have your autonomous car kill somebody 

Last edit: by Wookie58.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so cheap 21 Feb 2023 13:47 #880580

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P

Probably a good time to get all your kids studying law, imagine the amount of litigation cases there will be trying to decide if it's an insurance claim or a warranty fault should you be unfortunate enough to have your autonomous car kill somebody 

~~~>>> I’m sure the auto companies have spent more on lawyers regarding the self driving systems than they have on engineers. Don’t be surprised if a contract disavowing the company of any accidents relating to the autonomous system pops out of your dashboard, that you have to sign, every time before you can start your car. No signature, no start.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD, Wookie58

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so cheap 21 Feb 2023 18:00 #880607

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
My son lives in SF and is employed by a company called Cruze, which is somehow associated with GM.  They do vehicle automation.  He is a programmer for automation on vehicles.  They have a few already operating in SF completely automated.  He tells me the Tesla system with only cameras and radar is inadequate.  Cruze uses cameras, radar and lidar.  There have been several accidents in the HOV lane late at night where motorcycles were run down by Teslas on full automation.  

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blipco, SWest, Wookie58

Last edit: by hardrockminer.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so cheap 21 Feb 2023 18:34 #880612

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
I’ve been following GM's EV development. I read that the Cruze system on at least one occasion suddenly applied the brakes hard causing accidents behind it, causing accidents as people tried to drive around it in the traffic jam it created, and a danger for the passengers leaving the stalled vehicle once they figured out the thing wasn’t going to move, and having to walk through traffic.
Until I read that recently, I had no idea that these autonomous vehicles were actually in use.
I don’t think autonomous vehicles will ever be successful as long as there’s human drivers around to confound it.