Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 01 Nov 2019 16:11 #813404

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1971

Forrest wrote: That is the way to go Skidmark! One day I will build a new house and have a separate building like yours. Thinking about a tunnel from house to said garage...:evil:

Update: Carpenter back today after rain, snow, and generally just the worst weather for the end of October one could imagine. It was 18 degrees Fahrenheit this morning. The sun was out and warmed to maybe 40. So, making progress. Next week the siding work will be finished. Will be tacking in insulation myself this weekend. The electrician will rough in one more outlet for gas heater. The dry wall will be hung on Wednesday. Friday, looking forward to a dryer duct flue and the gas heater getting installed by HVAC contractor. After that the dry wall taping. Will likely paint the walls and ceiling myself. Then the floor will be coated floor! After all that I will be moving in my equipment and then bikes! :woohoo: More pictures to come....

Looking good Forest !!
Make sure you have all needed inspections before you cover up any work.
Also check how long concrete needs to cure before coating , so it doesnt lift ( peel )
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 03 Nov 2019 18:41 #813509

• Forrest
  • Forrest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
Thanks Dave for looking out for me. Yes, I have the inspections covered. The rough-in inspection is complete. My next inspection is my final. The concrete will be cured before coating. I did leave a reminder for my electrician. My building inspector requires a 2nd ground a minimum 6' from existing ground. Devil is in the details for sure. Tomorrow will be carpenter to complete siding and electrician to add the heater outlet plus 2nd ground. ,
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

Last edit: by Forrest.

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 13 Nov 2019 19:42 #813974

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
These past few days were good days but tiring.
- My carpenter finished his work a week ago . The last item was a drop down ladder to my previous existing garage attic. I spent a lot of time adding insulation and installing plywood flooring in the attic.
- My HVAC guy instaled a 45,000 BTU ceiling mount heater. It throws out serious heat! Also he routed the laundry dryer vent up,, over & out the soffit.
- I put the insulation in the walls and ceiling.
- Two drywall hangers mounted fire rated 5/8" sheet rock. Taper/Mudder will be in next week to finish out drywall.
- Had a new 41' gutter with a larger down spout installed this a.m. for a killer ptice.
Once drywall is finished, I will paint myself. Here are photos taken today. All of this done during a wedding anniversay weekend and vacation! By the way, all during an incredibly cold snap. Getting closer., starting to look like a place I can live with!

Attachment 20191113_144616.jpg not found

Attachments:

Last edit: by Forrest. Reason: Spelling

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 14 Dec 2019 15:50 #815348

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
Time for an update. These past 5 weeks or so have been a blur with this project and moving this project forward. Here is a summary of what has been going on:
1) While the concrete floor was curing, I had the drywall mounted and taped by union tradesman

2) Decided to prime the drywall myself. It is almost like painting before painting !

3) Had a new insulated garage door installed. There are now frosted windows for added light and yet security. This along with the insulation added to walls and garage attic has dramatically aided the renting of heat.

After the concrete floor was fully cured, I had a floor coating company come in. The color is described as Medium Gray. I call it Battleship Gray. It has a texture to it plus an epoxy coating.. The floor now has excellent grip and still easy to sweep & clean.

- Painted the ceiling Sherwin Williams High Reflective White. PaIntel the walls S.W. Olympus White, a light gray. All in all, looking at nearly 2,000 sq. ft. for each prime & paint phase.
- Electrician was in this past Thursday to finish. The 20 electrical outlets are now live. The three 8 foot LED light fixtures are quite bright.

- I have ordered some Guardian cabinets and storage units.
- BlueJay will be here tomorrow to lend his expertise on cutting g and installing trim.
- Plus, Jack will help me with his real deal rolling work bench. That will be cool.
- Once this is done, will be moving in my equipment and bikes!

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 14 Dec 2019 17:06 #815350

• Street Fighter LTD
You have come far Grasshopper
Great Job Forrest !!!!

Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 18 Dec 2019 14:32 #815577

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
Thanks Dave. Wait til you see what Jack did with his trim expertise. It is really starting to look finished. I still need to caulk & paint . Will post pics soon.
BTW, The cabinets I have ordered are not Guardian but Gladiator. This is a product by Whirlpool if not familiar. They look boss and should help storage.
Merry Christmas All!

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 18 Dec 2019 16:41 #815581

• Street Fighter LTD
Cant wait to see the pictures.
Peg board and or slat wall with the proper hangers might be a option for you to think on .
Im hoping to pick up a bike hoist soon . Bending over is no fun anymore. LOL
Merry Christmas
Dave

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 19 Dec 2019 11:06 #815615

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 265
Forest, it's time to start moving in motorcycles. Good job!
Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 31 Dec 2019 12:29 #816191

• gazzz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 313
That's very cool, Forrest!
Kawasaki KZ650 cafe-racer: in progress

Kawasaki Zephyr 750 (810ccm, 4in4, spoked wheels)
Honda CB815 "Eight Fifteen" cafe-racer
Yamaha XJ "Eight Ball" cafe-racer

www.gazzz-garage.com

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 07 Jan 2020 15:08 #816658

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
Thank you for your continued interest in my project before my bike projects. Sorry for the delay in posting. The holidays got in the way. However, I did stay on task as you will see. Jack(bluejay58) was over Mid Month of December. He is a true craftsman with trim carpentry. He let me help him by nailing up the trim with his air gun. I am so lucky to know him for not only the trim work but for his friendship. He is a truly good man. Speaking of Jack here he is; the good looking one on the right. The tall ugly one is me! That gift bag Jack is holding is from his wife to my wife. Very thoughtful folk.

This is how it looked after Jack worked his crafty magic.

Now it was up to me to caulk the trim and paint. This has been done. I got to say this whole process was hard on my body. I have hurt in places I did not know I could hurt! :pinch: :laugh:

It is hard to believe that the addition is pretty much finished. I still need to mount the Gladiator cabinets to the walls; found out I ordered the wrong mounting track. The correct track is on its way. By this weekend, I will be organizing everything. Did get some help from a nice neighbor, rented a truck with a lift gate and moved the equipment and some of my bikes back in. My electrician came back and wired the plug for my 60 gal. air compressor. I just need to get some piping to route out of the air tank. Will see about some pictures with the bikes and equipment in the space. It is filling up quickly. Stay tuned!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 07 Jan 2020 16:06 #816665

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
Thanks for all the kind words Forrest, back at you brother, I still think we should have added crown :)
Now the fun begins!!!!!!!!!!!!
78 KZ1000 A2A

Last edit: by bluej58.

My Project before I Can Work on Bike Projects 29 Jan 2020 08:55 #818169

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
UPDATE: Most fixtures, equipment and bikes are now in! :woohoo:
- The 60 gallon air compressor is in, wired and ready to be piped.
- The Atlas Tire Changer is in place. Will be cleaning it up and assessing condition further. Have a source for parts and expertise. It has the proper motorcycle tire adaptor & jig.
- The Handy Lift is on it’s place and have test run with Bike loaded. That is going to make life much easier!
- The matching Gladiator workbench, wall cabinets, under bench chest, and floor gear closet look good and will aid in storage and functionality. The wall cabinets are mounted on PVC type tracks. They can move on the wall laterally. Plus easy to mount & remove. I have also added more tracks with Gladiator shelving in main 2 car space. Plus, will be mounting one in new addition. It will be perfect for storing large boxes with my spare fuel tanks and saddles.
It will be some time getting familiarized and finding the optimal fit for everything. Thanks for going along on this journey with me. Hope you like what you see and maybe get an idea or two for your own work space!

Last edit: by Forrest. Reason: sequence of photos