TOPIC:

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 25 Sep 2008 14:45 #238653

• Silver
  • User
  • Old Bikes Are Better!
  • Thank you received: 0
I work at a bike shop......Duh!
1983 KZ750F1 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 16 Oct 2008 19:56 #242201

• timebomb33
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
i've been a motorcycle mechanic for 18 years, now i have taken a job in northern alberta teaching outdoor power equipment[small engine ,snow mobiles,boats and water craft, and a.t.v's when i'm not to busy i take over for one of the motorcycle instructors] i had never thought of teaching but this came along and i figured what the hll i'll try anything so here i am i like it so far. besides there is a drag stip 2 miles out of town. my life certainly has changed gone from beeing a total waste of skin drunk to this. i owe everything i became to motorcycles they have saved my life and given me a reason to get up every morning i still love being around them after all this time. it's not often that you get to do what you love for a living but i do every day.
1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 06 Nov 2008 08:46 #245859

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
  • Thank you received: 7
Quality control auditor for a large aerospace defense contractor.
My job is so secret, I don't even know what I'm doing.

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 28 Nov 2008 20:13 #249872

• grace1
  • User
hi i ,ve been a concreter for around 30 yrs ,been lucky re back ,pain etc ,worked on highways bridges ,rail over passes ,now work for myself do only little jobs paths sheds ,a lot easier ,B)
bendigo australia, gold mine country
MY COLLECTION 1978 B3 KZ750 AND 1980 GS1000G

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 29 Nov 2008 07:54 #249915

• eaglecrash2
  • User
Quite a newbie here. I'm an engineering manager at an aerospace company here in California. Been with this company for 21 yrs and in the aerospace design business for 27 years or so. For lunch money, i play skins games in golf with my buddies. Have cashed in more than I dished out so far.
'77 kz650,'06 Vulcan 500ltd, '07 ducati 1098s, '03 bmw m3, '85 carrera, '71 911s, '06 s2000, '03 suburban, '76 triumph TR6
sold: '69 honda 250, yr(?) 50cc honda moped, '52 Beechcraft Bonanza
Long Beach, California

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 29 Nov 2008 08:18 #249918

• rayshake
  • User
I tickle keys on my laptop in cars on the dyno and fabricate craziness out of metal for race cars. Also modify toughbook laptops and propagate corals and setup/maintain reef aquariums. And trials bikes!! Wow, what an odd mix.
at ma-motorsports sweeping the floor.

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 04 Jan 2009 01:01 #256058

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
  • Thank you received: 12
It's kinda funny i went to the community college for 1 year because i was sure as heck i wanted to be a fire fighter, but my best friend's cousin was a lietenant on the Chicago Fire Dept. He died when he fell through a 5th story floor all the way to the basement, burned to death......so horrible and sad. That made me rethink my career, so i started working at the kawi dealership by me, earlier last year i walked in my "boss" told me to pack up my tools and take a hike. Well it was either that or i took a promotion to shop manager with a pay cut.....no damn way, so off i went. Now i run a small bike repair buisness out of my garage/shop, and it has been slow so ive had alot of time to tinker with my bikes. Then 2 months ago i had to get a job stocking produce at the Jewel food store, really shitty job but i get healt benifits. Eventually wanna work at another kawi shop, or even open my own place one day. Hmmmmmmm Maby i should work at a harley dealer, they always need help since they break so much right?????lol
74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 08 Jan 2009 04:52 #256682

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
oldkaws4ever- Being a firefighter is a dangerous job. Sometimes guys do get injured or killed. Nature of the beast. I'm sorry about your friends cousin.
On the other hand , no other job I have had gives me the satisfaction like the fd even after 18 years. I always enjoy going to work. You decided it was not for you and that's ok. It's not for everyone believe me. I won't get rich though but I worry less about getting downsized. Good luck on your mechanicing though!
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 08 Jan 2009 07:43 #256698

• User
Such diversity here! This thread was a big read, but worth it. Time to throw my hat in the ring i guess:

Currently knocking on the ten year mark as a Sonar Controller with the Royal Australian Navy (Many different hats have been worn with this one over the years, my particular branch tends to be lent out to different areas when we come ashore - something to do with subs being harder to find on land)

That one pays the bills. I'm thinking of getting out and pursuing something I enjoy, namely tattooing. Some other passions are old cars, art and music, from which have spawned several small ventures including wall/canvas commission work, a small clothing and skateboard line, a couple of funk bands and hip hop collaborations. It's fortunate the navy does pay ok, because one of my main passions seems to be just collecting in general, be it cars and bikes (despite my best efforts, I never seem to have just one running reliable form of transport-usually much more in various states of repair...currently at 3 cars/3 bikes-pretty good for me!), artworks that interest me, old school skateboard decks and bmx's(with a warm spot for redlines), and shoes. Yes, shoes. A psychologist I dated briefly told me I was just trying to make up for all the things I couldn't have/afford when I was younger (we broke up...I assumed because she was jealous of my shoe collection).

Thanks again to all parties concerned for sharing their stories, and their wealth of knowledge when it comes these awesome bikes.

'81 KZ750-4 ltd / 810 GPz motor
'84 Suzuki GR650
'01 Ducati 750 Sport / corse pipes + chip

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 08 Jan 2009 21:37 #256878

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 111
Work? Does being house husband count? I do sneek out a bunch to work on my '78 KZ 650 B special. Between laundry,grocery shopping,house stuff. I retired from the USAF in '96.
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 08 Jan 2009 23:47 #256892

• User
i want your job! now all i need is a wife...anyone know where i can pickup something suitable? swap meet perhaps?

'81 KZ750-4 ltd / 810 GPz motor
'84 Suzuki GR650
'01 Ducati 750 Sport / corse pipes + chip

What do you do (for work) when you're not riding? 11 Jan 2009 09:11 #257229

• kzkx
  • User
Toyota forklift mechanic. Just received my business degree in December but I enjoy turning wrenches.
81 XS 400 Cafe Project
82 Seca 400
83 KZ 750 LTD
83 KZ 750 Hardtail
98 YZF 600R gone
OKC, OK