Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Yet another 'Look' For project A4 12 Nov 2005 08:18 #7903

• Kawozaki
  • Kawozaki's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
As usual I'm broke, so I decided to do cheap mods and removed the shyte-a$$ed paint from my tank. I'd like to go with the machine-turned/burnished/polished look for the tank. Right now it's bare metal with the coarse wire wheel marks (burnished, sorta!) on it...I dig it, but am wondering how hard it would be to get a smoothe polish finish. I tried briefly with my air die-grinder and polishing wheel, but didn't get much of a finish:unsure: I will put an adhesion promoter on it then clear when I figure out what the hell I'm doing. She's in a perpetual state of flux..The headlamp setup is being flipped sideways (for functionality's sake), sidecovers/ducktail will receive new paint and license plate will likely be relocated. Okay folks, bust away!!:laugh:

Oz

Post edited by: kawozaki, at: 2005/11/12 11:18

Post edited by: kawozaki, at: 2005/11/12 11:20
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Yet another 'Look' For project A4 12 Nov 2005 09:47 #7909

• Aloha Mr Hand Z1R
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
That looks HOT! Being a fellow cheapster, I'm always looking for ways to do something a little different but cool. I think you're on to something a little more unique than the Krylon Satin black route I went. I'm not sure about rattle canning a clear on there, seems like it would rust underneath, maybe not. Eastwood has a satin clear now which would be totally cool. Try a fine sandpaper and make all the sand marks go in one direction first. Maybe a clear powder coat would work, (not cheap or easy to change though).

On a different note, can you post a closeup of your wheels? How did you get them black? Are the spokes black too? I've got a RD250/XT550 cafe project and I need to do something with the RD wheels, chrome on the rims isn't bad but the spokes are typical rusty. Cost for stainless spokes is out of the question. Painted black? Hammertone? What wouldn't look too cheesy?

Yet another 'Look' For project A4 12 Nov 2005 13:48 #7926

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
that dark grey light grey camo look on tail and sides looks pretty nice with the blacked out wheels...
-Duck

Yet another 'Look' For project A4 12 Nov 2005 16:54 #7939

• GargantuChet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I like the looks of it, although since it's so reflective I'd have to see pics in different locations to decide whether it's the bike, or the bike+location that looks so good.

How about some close-ups?

Man, that's a happy headlight. :)

Yet another 'Look' For project A4 12 Nov 2005 17:00 #7943

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
I'd use clear wheel paint...act quickly once the final sanding is done, and wipe with acetone...tack cloth it dry and shoot...good luck on the rust, not sure how you prevent it...maybe John will chime in.

Yet another 'Look' For project A4 12 Nov 2005 18:21 #7953

• Kawozaki
  • User
Thanks, Guys...I really didn't expect many nice comments on the ol' girl! I actually have been pointed in the right direction on clearcoating the tank, but I'm not sure about the finish I want. I dig the Ducati chrome tank look I've seen on some monsters, but doubt I can achieve that level of polish! The wheels...well, let's just say I did that on the CHEAP!!! I roughed the shyte out of 'em with coarse emery cloth, cleaned with denatured alcohol, sprayed with high-temp grill paint then sprayed clear over it. Not too shabby for $12;) Don't get me wrong, of COURSE I'd rather have some nice, new anodized rims, but me an' the famdamily are goin' paycheck-to-paycheck right now:angry: I tried to post several pics at different angles but ran into troubles...do I need to repost? Thanks again for the kind words...now how's 'bout SOMEBODY breakin' my balls about the ugly-a$$ed headlamp!!!!!:P

Oz

BTW...That tank has been bare for a month, now. I threw a quick shot of WD40 on 'er and wiped it off. It's seen 'bout 250 miles (cold, dewey mornings;cold evenings) on the road and no rust yet!

Post edited by: kawozaki, at: 2005/11/12 21:26
Attachments:

Yet another 'Look' For project A4 12 Nov 2005 18:24 #7955

• GargantuChet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey, I mentioned it... It's definitely unique, like Ron's stuffed dog (okay, not quite the same, heh). Can't knock a little individualization...

Yet another 'Look' For project A4 12 Nov 2005 18:28 #7956

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
I bet you could buff it up with rubbing compounds before you paint it clear. Maguiers swirl remover should really shine it up before you paint it if you compound ir first. I'll experiment on a piece of sheet metal and get back to you and your ugly headlight. Be back in a while.

Yet another 'Look' For project A4 12 Nov 2005 18:32 #7957

• Kawozaki
  • User
You know, Chet, I was hoping that the lights would work out in this configuration just so I could do some kind of old school 'Moon Eyes' thing with the headlamp bucket. As it stands, I'm gonna have to do an 'over/under' thing with it 'cause the light beams are too damn vertical...I don't really need to see the topps of the trees as I whip past them!!!!:silly:

Oz

BTW...Thanks for doin' some experimentin' fer me, Ron!

Post edited by: kawozaki, at: 2005/11/12 21:34

Yet another 'Look' For project A4 12 Nov 2005 18:44 #7960

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
Okay, sand it out with progressively finer grades to 2500, if you can get it. Buff it out with 3m superduty, follwed with microfinishing, followed with maguiers swirl remover, and it will be a mirror finish. Indykaw77 can point you to some products that go on dry if you are worried about the moisture. I'll get a pic in a minute after my batteries charge .

Yet another 'Look' For project A4 12 Nov 2005 18:50 #7963

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
Here, just enough for one pic...see the table reflected in the metal..see the flash reflected to the table...I skipped alot of sanding steps to do it quickly, but the grey is the zinc coating on a body repair panel I had laying around. I'd say the answer is go for the mirror finish!

Thanks for remembering Dog, Chet. That's the official name, BTW.

Post edited by: ronboskz650sr, at: 2005/11/12 21:53

Yet another 'Look' For project A4 12 Nov 2005 18:56 #7965

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
I like the consistency of the tank. The mirror finish would be cool but hows that going to be in sunlight?

• Page: