Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Powdercoat 23 May 2021 01:00 #848894

• davido
  • davido's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
I bought a powdercoat kit off Amazon a couple of weeks ago and this week I started reforming a house in town. The kitchen was going in the garbage so,I now have a dedicated powdercoat oven. A couple of hours in the workshop with a set of wheels and some offcuts.......

Still working on the ventilation though,so it will be a while before I can start cooking. Also, Im looking at a small blast cabinate which i'snt expensive but I think my compressor is too small, I might need to invest in something bigger first.
The main problem (other than budget) is finding space for all this stuff.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, M_a_t_t

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Powdercoat 23 May 2021 04:47 #848895

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
Look like a fun project.  Powdercoat is cool and I'd love to have a nice setup for doing it.  Realize that like any painting process prep is key for lasting results.  The pro's use a phosphate dip treatment just before painting to both clean the metal and give it some "tooth" so the paint sticks.  And also realize that there are different types of powder.  Polyester is most common.  Urethane is more durable, but the material may be more money.  

Regarding a blast cabinet, I used a 20 gallon 15A 110VAC compressor for years and it was seriously taxed but it got the job done.  I've got a large compressor now and it's nicer but that small jobbie was passable.  I wouldn't go smaller.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: