Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1983 GPZ1100 -A1 23 Jun 2020 16:42 #828783

• heinrichsmit
  • heinrichsmit's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Decal is very faded. I am hoping to replace without a complete respray. I know the decal is covered with a clear coat. Is there any clear coat below the decal?
I saw a video clip where the guy removed a decal from a Harley. He used a sharp blade around the edges of decal and then used a hair dryer to get decal off.
If there is a clear coat under decal it might be possible to replace decal and then do new clear coat. Not sure if this is an option. Maybe a complete respray is a better option. Would like to get some thought from you guys
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1983 GPZ1100 -A1 03 Jul 2020 23:25 #829730

• TheFlyingFreemole
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Is that the factory paint job? I am a fan of keeping any of the original parts when it is safe and possible.

If you have the time and patience I would try doing a light wet sand with very fine grit paper followed by buffing compound on a polishing wheel. If that doesn't help out in restoring the look of it, then you could go down the road of replacement. I don't know for sure whether or not there is any clear under the decal, but my gut feeling would be that there isn't one... I don't see laying down a clear coat then placing a decal and then laying down a second coat of clear as "factory efficient", but then again that is just my gut feeling. Perhaps someone with better knowledge can chime in and correct me
1977 KZ1000 LTD B1 (needs minor fine tuning)

1983 GPZ1100 -A1 04 Jul 2020 12:12 #829769

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2071
Contact KZR member who goes by PaintWorkz. He knows a ton about old Kawasaki paint and decals.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

• Page: