• Page:

TOPIC:

Petrol Tank & Fuel Cap 12 May 2020 01:32 #825517

• Niclapham
  • Niclapham's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone,

I have an old Z440 which is being rebuilt and going off to be resprayed later this week. However, I was hoping to get some help with the fuel cap...

- Is this the original?
- Are there any parts missing (it doesn't appear to seal very well)
- Most importantly, can I buy replacements and if so what do I need and where can I get them from?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Petrol Tank & Fuel Cap 12 May 2020 09:37 #825536

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
No idea if it's original, but I'd guess yes. Did you try cleaning the gasket & fuel tank mating surface? If it still isn't sealing, maybe the gasket has hardened. If hard, you could try some of the methods for softening rubber, but they usually don't last. Liquid Wrench silicone spray lubricant is a good cleaner for rubber & plastic. I use it to spot clean just about everything on the motorcycle.

Replacement. From the diagrams at Partzilla the 1980 KZ440-B1 had the same fuel cap as the B2 plus some of the earlier KZ400 & KZ650 models. The other USA 440s had the newer style rectangular fuel cap.

Search EB or post want ads on the various forums. or try a motorcycle salvage yard. In the mean time I would clean & lubricate it and check to see if a new gasket is available. Z-power UK lists it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Niclapham

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: