Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Front Footrest Brackets on 750-4 05 Jan 2020 13:42 #816489

• calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 369
I'm in the middle of rebuilding my KZ750H1. I spent the better part of summer blasting and painting everything (except the tank and side covers - leaving that til spring). I used a 2K epoxy primer, 2K base and 2K clear on the frame and fittings and it's holding up well (judging by the number of times I've dropped spanners on the frame!).

One problem I am having is with the front footrests. I can't fold them up without taking the paint off on the edge of the bracket that the washer on the end of the footrest slides over (see the red circles in the picture below). The footrests are new so they put a lot of pressure on the bracket (it's hard to get the pins in when mounting the footrest on the bracket). Does anyone know a way to protect the paint so it doesn't look awful if someone folds up the footrests? At the moment I'm just not ever going to move them, but it would be nice not to have to worry about the paint getting messed up.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Front Footrest Brackets on 750-4 05 Jan 2020 16:59 #816516

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
  • Thank you received: 87
tiny paint brush
76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd

Front Footrest Brackets on 750-4 05 Jan 2020 17:52 #816522

• calum
  • User
?? You mean touching up the paint every time I accidently push the footrest up?

Front Footrest Brackets on 750-4 06 Jan 2020 07:38 #816545

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
My footrests should be identical to yours & I don't see any practical way to keep the pegs from rubbing against the brackets. The only thing I can think of is to get some thin nylon washers. might be a tight fit, though.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Front Footrest Brackets on 750-4 06 Jan 2020 07:53 #816547

• calum
  • User
Thanks Martin. I don't think I'd get the washers on and even if I did I'm pretty sure the pressure would still mess with the paint. I thought about putting a transparent sticker or foil over the bracket edge, but I don't think that will look any good. I think I'll just not fold up the footrests, maybe even drill the bracket and put a pin in to stop the footrests from folding up.
I'm definitely being a bit picky here...

Front Footrest Brackets on 750-4 06 Jan 2020 09:18 #816551

• martin_csr
  • User
You could do a test with milk jug plastic. I use it to protect parts for various reasons when working on the motorcycle. I would use the big footpeg washers as a template & cut some about the same size. If that seems to work & you can't find nylon washers thin enough, then maybe you could find some thinner footpeg washers & install those in place of the stock washers along w the plastic ones. or install big nylon washers in place of the big stock footpeg washers. I'm not sure if nylon washers come in large sizes, but I used some that were about 1" OD to install a luggage rack >> to keep the chrome from getting scratched or damaged from vibration or whatnot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: calum

Front Footrest Brackets on 750-4 06 Jan 2020 09:21 #816552

• calum
  • User
Thanks, that sounds like it's worth a try.

Front Footrest Brackets on 750-4 06 Jan 2020 09:25 #816553

• martin_csr
  • User
If you can find big nylon washers, you might be able to install them in place of the stock footpeg washers >> nylon plastic is pretty stout & in this application those washers aren't under any stress anyway.

Edit: washer size: From Partzilla >> Footrest diagram >> 92022-250 >> WASHER 25X36X2.3
The hardware store has black plastic washers, but I'm not sure if they're nylon.
I don't know how easy it will be to source a 35 or 36 mm nylon washer. The largest size I saw on EB was 20mm OD.

Front Footrest Brackets on 750-4 06 Jan 2020 09:25 #816554

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
I would not drill any holes. Even if the paint gets rubbed a bit to me that would be much better than extra holes. Paint can be touched up if necessary, but holes cannot. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Front Footrest Brackets on 750-4 06 Jan 2020 11:27 #816564

• calum
  • User
@martin: thanks, will see what I can find over here.

@ed: yeah, I would only drill a 3-4mm hole under the footrest and stick a steel pin through. If they weren't already painted I'd weld a plate in as a stop so the footrest can't pivot anymore. The brackets are a dime a dozen over here so I may get a second set and go the welding route.

Front Footrest Brackets on 750-4 06 Jan 2020 12:46 #816567

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
If you do that make sure you don't lean the bike over too much if riding in a spirited fashion. Those footrest are made to pivot because they will touch the road when riding hard through turns. I replaced my originals with NOS units when I found I had ground off the outer bottom edges of them when riding hard. I ride more gently now, so the replacements are still fine. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Front Footrest Brackets on 750-4 06 Jan 2020 13:01 #816568

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
I would try to glue some rubber sealing Strip (German language "Keder Kantenschutz") on the foot peg mount.
I my opinion it is not worth to waste any thought and time about it, leave it as it is and ride the bike!!!

Attachments:

• Page: