Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Header Painting 27 Oct 2005 07:30 #4640

• Aloha Mr Hand Z1R
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've used VHT 1500 degree paint and it works pretty good. I've used the black several times and it is looks great. After you paint it, it looks flat and dull, but after it's dry if you buff it with a soft rag, it turns smooth and shiny, sort of looks like black anodized aluminum. Most recently I got some gunmetal gray to match my engine paint and it looks good too. As far as how long it lasts.... not forever that's for sure. My header has some small rust pits right out of the head and they seem to rust up in 6 months or so, even stored inside. Maybe a pristine header would last longer. I almost consider it routine maintenaince to paint my header once or twice a year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Header Painting 18 Nov 2005 11:15 #8868

• wireguy
  • User
sandblasting is the best way to rough up chrome for paint to stick,use good vht paint.if you wipe the header down once in a while with armor-all after painting it keeps the paint from drying out and flaking off so fast,this also works on painted engine parts.hope this helps good luck

Post edited by: wireguy, at: 2005/11/19 23:38

Header Painting 19 Nov 2005 05:50 #8987

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Or, wrap them with header wrap. I'm going to be sandblasting, repainting and wrapping my pipes for next season. Covers up uglies like dings and rust pits.
Also hides chrome!

Header Painting 19 Nov 2005 06:10 #8993

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
I used rustoleum high temp. So far so good..although I admit I don't have alot of miles. What I do know is, the finish didn't change aat all as it burned in, and I believe that's a good sign. The duplicolor I used before totally changed appearance in the header area, and in that area, it only lasted a few months. The can was still good when I repainted it, after a year.

Header Painting 20 Nov 2005 21:36 #9281

• wireguy
  • User
wrapping your headers will trap moisture in ther and rot the tubes

Header Painting 21 Nov 2005 08:42 #9344

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
wireguy wrote:

wrapping your headers will trap moisture in ther and rot the tubes

True, to a point. If the pipes start out clean (sandblasted), painted and the silicone spray supplied for the header wrap is used, less chance of rotting out the pipes. I've seen pipes with header wrap painted to keep out moisture.

Header Painting 22 Nov 2005 03:25 #9535

• 900cows
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
look into the good old stove black. alot of older hareware stores still sell the stuff. used on old coal and wood burning stoves, u know how red hot they can get when stoaked up. will last long time on a header system.

Header Painting 22 Nov 2005 03:31 #9536

• 900cows
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
look into the good old stove black. alot of older hareware stores still sell the stuff. used on old coal and wood burning stoves, u know how red hot they can get when stoaked up. will last long time on a header system.

Header Painting 22 Nov 2005 07:16 #9565

• beaterbike
  • User
If your V & H wear like mine.. You don't need to worry about removing the chrome..it will rust off !:sick:

Can't believe it - the pipes are 4 months old (maybe) and the header pipes have already started to rust.. Mostly the sides closest to the engine and the area between the pipes... unbelievable.

Post edited by: beaterbike, at: 2006/05/18 10:27

• Page: