Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Powders are amazing.... 21 Feb 2006 05:25 #25282

• twowheeledterror
  • twowheeledterror's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
savedrider wrote:

Careful if you do the extreme chrome powder...I had my valve cover done and it looked awesome at first. After a few miles though it started to dull. I probably wouldn't do it again unless I knew of a clear coat option that would save it, and then we are talking more $$$ I'm sure.

You're always supposed to put a coat of clear powder over it from what I've read. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Powders are amazing.... 21 Feb 2006 08:19 #25314

• KzJim
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4

You're always supposed to put a coat of clear powder over it from what I've read

It depends on the powder, some clear powders will actually dull the finish. the translucent candy colors will dull if a clear is applied, the same will happen to a hi-gloss color as well, how the powder reacts over a period of time depends on the powder too, there are 4 types, i have listed the 3 most popular;

A TGIC (triglycidyl isocyanurate) powder will have good mechanical properties, gloss retention and will cover sharp edges better but wont stand up to solvents as well as a urethane powder.

Urethane-cured polyester powder coatings combine very smooth, exceptional thin film capability, with excellent mar and chip resistance, and good weathering properties. Adhesion to properly prepared (pretreated) substrates will provide very durable coatings with long-term resistance to humidity and corrosion. Polyurethanes are typically resistant to many diluted aqueous acids, salts, aromatic and aliphatic hydrocarbons, grease, and oils, it also has a very good hi-gloss retention but its film thickness is limited and will be thin on sharp corners.

Epoxy coatings are used primarily as functional coatings for substrate protection where inherent toughness, corrosion resistance, flexibility, and adhesion are required. The primary limitation of epoxy-based coatings is poor weatherability.

the super chrome from caswell is a polyurethane powder but because of its hi reflective properties it requires a top coat to keep it from dulling.
So if you are having someone do your stuff ask them what powders they are using and make sure its right for your part.
Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?

Powders are amazing.... 21 Feb 2006 10:39 #25347

• twowheeledterror
  • twowheeledterror's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
When I do this I'll be buying powder from Caswell and taking the parts and the powder to the shops to have it done.

Does caswell make a specific clear that should go over that that you know of?

Powders are amazing.... 21 Feb 2006 11:24 #25363

• KzJim
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Caswell has 2 one is 'super high gloss clear' and one is HFSD, if you look at the details the HFSD is listed as 'weatherable' i'd call and ask them to make a recomendation. I have not used their clear so im not familiar with it. their hi-temp stuff works great tho.
Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?

• Page: