Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Is my gas tank baffled? 30 Dec 2005 20:58 #15335

• sakiguy
  • sakiguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I got a dent in my tank from only God knows what and figured it was time to get rid of it. Called a paintless dent repair guy and he said he could only do the job only if I didn't have a baffled gas tank. Does a 79 KZ1000 LTD have a baffled gas tank? I have no idea how to tell.
1983 KZ750 N2 Shaft

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is my gas tank baffled? 30 Dec 2005 21:31 #15338

• wireman
  • Visitor
no ,your tank should be singlewalled

Is my gas tank baffled? 31 Dec 2005 03:46 #15363

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 303
I am unaware of any 'baffled' motorcyle fuel tanks:S Someone enlighten me...
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Is my gas tank baffled? 31 Dec 2005 05:39 #15370

• KzJim
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
How could a tank be that confused?:huh:
Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?

Is my gas tank baffled? 31 Dec 2005 07:10 #15383

• wireman
  • Visitor
im not sure,but i got to ride in a tank once when i was in the army about a hundred yrs ago and i dont think that one was baffled either cuz we were all bouncing around in there!!!!!!!!!!

Is my gas tank baffled? 31 Dec 2005 07:41 #15395

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I think you might be disappointed with the paintless dent repair. The metal on the tank is very thick, much thicker than sheetmetal on a car. Even if the metal was thin, the job usually does not come out perfec.on a car. My buddies truck went thru a hail storm a few years ago. I watched the dent repair guys work on it and it was just horrible. $400 later and his truck didn't have any dents but the whole thing was very wavy. It looked like the whole top of the truck was bondoed and never sanded down. That was the last time I ever thought about using the paintless dent repair guys. I do have a "Ding King" which is one of those as seen on TV dent repair kits. It works good for small dents in the door and such. Not perfect but still better than the dent. It was like $10 so well worth it. I have an old tank here with some dents and I tried to use the "ding king" on it, didn't even budge.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Is my gas tank baffled? 31 Dec 2005 11:04 #15417

• sakiguy
  • User
Well, I'll take wiredman's word for it and assume it's single-walled. Yah, I'm not sure about PDR's either, but I figured it was an easy way out then having to get the tank painted, color matched, etc. at a body shop. I don't think there are too many shops out there that would paint a motorcycle tank. Can't help but feel SOL. Might as well give the PDR a shot, maybe he can take it out for $40. I'll post a before and after pic when the job gets done.

Post edited by: sakiguy, at: 2005/12/31 14:06
1983 KZ750 N2 Shaft

Is my gas tank baffled? 31 Dec 2005 12:43 #15422

• mykznme
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
look for a little jim and chuck body shop. they would be more likely to take a motorcycle tank.
this is my first motorcycle but ive done a good bit of body work and ive never seen a paintless dent removal come out perfect,not even in sheet metal.
there seems to always be a crease and/or wave.

where is the dent located?

any chance on pics? people on here might know of a color match.

there is a chance that you could fix this problem yourself depending on location,size of the dent and wether or not its on the pinstripes.

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

Is my gas tank baffled? 31 Dec 2005 12:58 #15424

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
sakiguy wrote:

Well, I'll take wiredman's word for it and assume it's single-walled. Yah, I'm not sure about PDR's either, but I figured it was an easy way out then having to get the tank painted, color matched, etc. at a body shop. I don't think there are too many shops out there that would paint a motorcycle tank. Can't help but feel SOL. Might as well give the PDR a shot, maybe he can take it out for $40. I'll post a before and after pic when the job gets done.<br><br>Post edited by: sakiguy, at: 2005/12/31 14:06

You'd be smart to take his word...

This isn't thin metal, as aformentioned. It's pretty stiff stuff.

Is my gas tank baffled? 31 Dec 2005 13:22 #15431

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
KzJim is funny,,, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

Is my gas tank baffled? 31 Dec 2005 18:55 #15466

• sakiguy
  • User
Here is a pic of the dent. After looking more closely it's definitely a sharp dent and the paint around it appears to be puffing up around it ready to flake off. Definitely not a PDR candidate. The previous owner had this painted midnight blue. Hope they can color match this stuff. Any ideas of what to look for in a good paint job?

Post edited by: sakiguy, at: 2005/12/31 22:02

Post edited by: sakiguy, at: 2005/12/31 22:10
1983 KZ750 N2 Shaft

Is my gas tank baffled? 31 Dec 2005 19:23 #15469

• wireman
  • Visitor
looks like a handlebar dent to me.you might check with john68,hes usually in the paint section!i would think you could use a stud gun to weld a stud on there and pull it out with a minimal amount of hassle but id check with him as far as the actual repair!good luck,happy wrenching!

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2005/12/31 22:24

• Page: