Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Converting KZ1000 Police? 19 Apr 2006 09:20 #40842

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Sounds like you are doing what I would do if I had a police KZ. Pictures are highly desired.

As for your clubmans hitting the tank, I have heard that some people put an additional spacer on part of the turn stop mechanism. If you only need a small distance to clear your tank, that would be easiest. Of course, it reduces your turning radius, so don't over do it.
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Converting KZ1000 Police? 19 Apr 2006 11:47 #40870

• russbernhardt
  • russbernhardt's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok, I've thrown up some photos, but I've yet to update my page and add commentary. Most of it is self-explanitory.

Here's a teaser:

The rest are at:

kz1000p5.russbernhardt.com/photos/2006-04/

And yes, the 1/2 craftsman wrenches are securely holding the sockets (the wrenches were first ground a little, then heated and the sockets pressed in). I've bounced around on the rear pegs and they work just fine (and do their job of keeping stress off the exhausts).

It rides really well, though I still have to get used to the pegs (every time I stop, I keep throwing my right foot way past the current pedal, expecting to hit the old pedal).

It seems to respond more with the weight and wind ressistance reduction, but that might be speculation.

Converting KZ1000 Police? 19 Apr 2006 14:10 #40893

• Allshookup
  • User
I have an 85 Police bike with a duel seat it is an 82 seat if I remember right. The seat bolted right on with no mods. I think the key was that it is a "J" model seat. As long as it's a "J" model you should be good to go.

As for the tank, I tried an 82 LTD tank and the tunnel is wider as well as the whole tank. It didn't quite fit right. Also the tank is not as narrow in the front as the stock police tank. This caused the front forks to hit the tank pretty hard at full turn. It would have caused denting.

Post edited by: Allshookup, at: 2006/04/19 17:15

Converting KZ1000 Police? 19 Apr 2006 14:45 #40894

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
hey wg hope those parts made it back to you ok
and i planned on grafting them to my xs11
they would look strange on a 900 with extended swingarm no rear pegs and a monoshock
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

Converting KZ1000 Police? 19 Apr 2006 15:00 #40896

• russbernhardt
  • User
Allshookup wrote:

I have an 85 Police bike with a duel seat it is an 82 seat if I remember right. The seat bolted right on with no mods. I think the key was that it is a "J" model seat. As long as it's a "J" model you should be good to go.

What model '82 (I'm assuming it's a KZ1000, but is there a submodel, i.e., CSR, LTD, etc).

I don't know what the engine number was for the bike my '82 LTD seat came off, but I know that the seat I need will have a fairly steep rise just in front of the rear passenger portion...

Thanks!

Converting KZ1000 Police? 20 Apr 2006 06:44 #41069

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
i have a seat from an 82 spectre 1100 collecting dust in the garage i can measure it and get pics monday after my trip it has the stepped design same as the csr.needs covered but its useable as is
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

Converting KZ1000 Police? 23 Apr 2006 16:46 #41917

• froggy
  • User
keep up the good work on that kz police some things you just have to fabricate yourself to get the look and style you want cheap bike anyway so wat the heck

look at it from all angles is the key if it dont look right at any particular angle that might be were u might want to make a change

wen i look at my bike it looks to short needs to be stretched out more to the length of a harley although i beefed up my front end

would rather sell my bike and by a street legal drag bike with a fat back tire

Converting KZ1000 Police? 23 Apr 2006 16:46 #41918

• froggy
  • User
i fabricated a mouting bracket for my high riser drag baRS clears tank

looks like the site removed alot of older post ive looked all over for the post i had of pics of my bike
under froggy custom kz1000p chopper 11/14/2005 couldnt find it if anyone has seen it u2u me

Post edited by: froggy, at: 2006/04/23 20:12

Converting KZ1000 Police? 23 Apr 2006 17:35 #41934

• russbernhardt
  • User
I know I'll have to do something about the bars hitting the tank, but I'm pretty sure I want to keep the low profile, so I don't think I'll be putting spacers on the bar mounts (which would raise the bars over the tank, but I'd get the same effect just buying some low-rise bars instead).

I'll either pick up some low-rise bars and compromise have a not-so-aggressive riding position, or pick up a spare KZ1000 tank and play around with the idea of making it look like a Norton cafe-style tank.

I still need to put up some descriptions of what the whole process took (besides all day)...

Converting KZ1000 Police? 23 Apr 2006 19:04 #41960

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
On the old fourm Sandracer did one I painted for him. here's a link.

kzrider.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=9451
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

Converting KZ1000 Police? 23 Apr 2006 20:25 #41991

• russbernhardt
  • User
That is one tight paint job, Mark. That green-marble is just wicked!

I'm slowly building up my tool inventory, and next on the list is to get a grinder so I can grind my nubs down that are left from the foot board mounts and exhaust mounts. Then I'll get to start planning paint.

Personally, I'm not much for flames...but I do love the subtlties that can trip people out when they get a good close up (i.e., the marble or some other pattern than only shows up when the light hits it just right).

I had a dragon idea for my 650, way back when. I wanted the tank and everything black with some light glitter and thick clear coat, but have a really dark gray shape of some kind floating above the black...to give a kind of holographic effect so it appears to change positions as you pass it (or as it passes you ;) )...and I mean REALLY dark gray...almost black, but enough contrast to see it in sunlight.

Anyways, I'm no designer, but I'm also not a bike builder. :P I just hack until it looks right to me.

I'm a bit of a rambler, but my point was: awesome paint, Mark. Love the marble!

Converting KZ1000 Police? 23 Apr 2006 23:29 #42050

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
Thanks, I do like doing flames but I do other stuff too. I lost a lot of pix when my putter chashed a couple years ago. Here's a few I have pix of.
Mark

smg.photobucket.com/albums/v25/650Mark/MC%20Paint/
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.