Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Center Stand, Or Not? 07 Nov 2005 10:11 #6981

• Wildog
  • Wildog's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a KZ650 that is an almost completed Sreet Fighter. All I have left is to put on a set of rear sets but, I have encountered a problem. I am going for a nice clean look and have chopped the back of the bike and turned it into a single seat with a high flip tail. I have also fabbed up a longer swingarm. My question is, should I remove the centerstand for a cleaner look because it seems to really open up the frame and give focus to the rear extention. It is handy to have especially when working on the bike, I just think the look would be much better without it. Am I making a mistake? Any recomendations wanted. Pictures soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Center Stand, Or Not? 07 Nov 2005 10:19 #6984

• cudaosix
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Use it as a temp work station to get the tires off the ground. Put it on when you need it, off when you dont. Down part of this is its not available if you need it away from your garage.

Center Stand, Or Not? 07 Nov 2005 10:22 #6986

• Bud1
  • User
I might be the wrong guy to give advice about this, as I am a very "function over form" minded person. My first question when someone is showing me their pride and joy, be it a car, truck, bike, boat, etc., is "How does it run?"

Me personally will never get rid of my centerstand. If I ever buy a bike that does not have one, I will most definately add one to it even if I have to fabricate the whole thing. Looks just don't enter the equation for me. Well, let me expand on that a bit. Looks do enter the equation but it would just really have to be ugly looking for me to say "Nope can't have that!"

You see I own and drive a 1989 Full size Chevy Van that has a wooden front bumper and two chains holding the hood down. I used to use a rope but at speeds over 70mph the hood would shake to much. With chains it's solid as concrete.

It all boils down to your own personal preference. How handy do believe the centerstand is?
How bad do you think the bike looks with it?
How much better does it look without it?
How annoying will it be not to have the centerstand?

Only you can answer those questions. If I were you I would try it without the centerstand for a awhile and see how much it impacts me when I have to work on the bike. Just remember when you take if off make sure you can put it back on if you decide you don't like it off.

Center Stand, Or Not? 07 Nov 2005 10:40 #6987

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
My bike came without a center stand. I mean that Kaw designed the 900LTD without a center stand... the pipes run under the engine, and there's no room. I eventually went out and bought a cheap ($20) floor jack so I could lift the rear tire off the ground. Simple chores like lubing/adjusting the chain, or cleaning the rim are lots easier if the rear tire spins freely.
I guess my point is that you can get by without the center stand, but you should have a fairly painless way to get your wheels off the ground. The eaier it is, the more likely you'll do it regularly. The floor jack is pretty handy, I think better than bolting your center stand on when you need it.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Center Stand, Or Not? 07 Nov 2005 11:06 #6993

• beaterbike
  • User
NOS !? :evil:

Style wise the center stand is not going to cut it with mods you are performing...

FYI

I noticed a week ago that center stand on my 78 KZ650 was doubling as a chain tensioner:ohmy:

Center Stand, Or Not? 07 Nov 2005 13:16 #7024

• Wildog
  • Wildog's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks for the tips guys, I think I have almost decided to take it off. Also going will be my rear pegs and brackets because I have no passenger seat and since my new rearsets have a master cylinder and short brake lever setup on the right side one, I can do away with my old huge brake lever and bracket. Should really clean the bike up good. Will post some pics when it is all done.

Center Stand, Or Not? 07 Nov 2005 14:59 #7037

• Old-Skul
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I believe that the loss of the stand adds "flickability" to the 650. It may be just imagination, but after taking the stand off (about 5 pounds) from below the frame the bike seemed to handle better.

Center Stand, Or Not? 07 Nov 2005 16:34 #7059

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
Mine has no stand. I drilled two holes in my workbench lower shelf. I attach two ratchet straps to the bike and to those holes. Tighten, and use a floor jack to lift the center at the center stand mounts. Whichever wheel isn't strapped down goes up...simple, safe. With no rear fender, it's even easier, as the tire can bump right up to the vertical center leg of the bench. No, not as quick as a center stand, but not real time consuming either..adds a minute or two to whatever you're doing. Also, I believe tyhe centerstand was the first thing to scrape in the old kz650 road tests, especially with heavy riders. I'd pitch it for a streetfighter.

Post edited by: ronboskz650sr, at: 2005/11/07 19:38

Center Stand, Or Not? 07 Nov 2005 18:01 #7068

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I guess all I can say is that if you just "need" one to get the wheel off the ground.....find a cheap jack and couple 2X4's or something for under the kickstand. Thats how I lube/adj the chain and clean rear rims/tires. Adds just a tick of time, but no scrapes......
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

Center Stand, Or Not? 07 Nov 2005 18:19 #7074

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
I'd ditch it. For looks and to save the weight.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Center Stand, Or Not? 07 Nov 2005 18:43 #7081

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Any weight you can dump will improve handling, acceleration and braking.

Center Stand, Or Not? 07 Nov 2005 20:54 #7114

• DanVVArider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Take the center stand off, but keep it in case you need to hoist up the bike a bit for maintenance. When you park the bike for a spell, like overnight, you want it to be level, so put a brick or 2x4 under the kickstand.
"CHOP 'TIL YA DROP!"

• Page: